Barry McGee "Mural" on Houston Street and Bowery

blackhills

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not taking anything personal-- I'm sipping on my iced coffee and having a laugh. My jump to "Go diss it" was a leapfrog off of your "what you said is horse shit". Just keeping things on whatever level they get dragged down to, and it seems like all the criticism I've heard about that wall basically boils down to people being mad that it wasn't New Yorkers painting it. That doesn't bother me; I paint when I travel to other people's cities, and I like that others do the same when they come to mine.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I stated mine (along with the reasons I feel that way) in my first post on this page. I still stand by that 100%, and I'm genuinely interested in hearing yours, or I wouldn't be bothering with this. The only thing I'm not open to is being told that my opinions aren't actually my opinions.

Again, I'm not catching any feelings-- I'm glad that for the first time in months, there's a conversation that seems worth having in here.

I was thinking the same thing, (as far as the characters go) those characters on walls and installations have a huge graffiti influence in the style of lines.

It's not in your face like if dude did some throwback 80's subway art b boy characters, it's more like if you know lines and style, you know.

Same style in them hands (that I always though were extra on point), is in the characters on some beneath the surface type shit.

IMO 110% better than the Fairy paste, or fake Kieth Harring mural there, and gives more shine to street roots.

Not everyone is going to be OS Gemeos and just murder a wall like they did or even put that much effort into it.

Motherfuckers will nit pick shit to death and hate no matter what, "dude mispelled a name" or whatever.

Besides,

If some new jacks who don't understand how dude payed his graffiti dues dissed it for cheap fame, no problem.

It only took a couple of hours, a few cans, and looked like it would be fun to do.

and it got people talking, about handstyles.

Win,

win,

and, win.

The problem is that there aren't many people from NYC that we'd like to see on that wall who draw crowds of rich people and $ for Deitch.

The wall isn't a graffiti hall of fame, it's for an art gallery that just happens to sell art by people who may also enjoy vandalism.

Personally, I'd like to see Futura get next, just because it would make sense for Deitch ($$$) plus dude is from NYC, and pretty fucking awesome.

• Like 3

I'm not taking anything personal-- I'm sipping on my iced coffee and having a laugh. My jump to "Go diss it" was a leapfrog off of your "what you said is horse shit". Just keeping things on whatever level they get dragged down to, and it seems like all the criticism I've heard about that wall basically boils down to people being mad that it wasn't New Yorkers painting it. That doesn't bother me; I paint when I travel to other people's cities, and I like that others do the same when they come to mine.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I stated mine (along with the reasons I feel that way) in my first post on this page. I still stand by that 100%, and I'm genuinely interested in hearing yours, or I wouldn't be bothering with this. The only thing I'm not open to is being told that my opinions aren't actually my opinions.

Again, I'm not catching any feelings-- I'm glad that for the first time in months, there's a conversation that seems worth having in here.

I never once said Nyers SHOLUD have done it,I said most of us CAN do what was done if not better. youre all confused and making assumptions, what I have said is I enjoy good Twist artwork, this however was sub par for him. And the funny thing is, he would probably agree!

and again, i never said your opinion isnt your opinion, what the hells going on here?????????

I basically said you are guilty of cheerleading, and if you couldnt understand that before, then I spelled it out simpler this time.

Asside form those 2 obvious and overworked points, I think its gay to be ironic, and its gay to put up a street legend and say hes RIP.

Get your propometer up allday, lol. It doesnt mean your right, it means your cheerleader squad is bigger then mine, LOL. and we all know cheerleaders win the game. :rolleyes:

what can be said is what the guy above said, in the end its a win reguardless for graff. But being on that wall is a win reguardless, why not knock it out the park? The reason OsGemeos murdered that wall out, is because they are still hungry and humble artists. I dont know Barry personally, but by his actions one could be lead to think he's arrogent and doesnt deserve his place on that space, Im not saying that, but thats what it gives off, all done under the umbrella of "irony" and tight pants. LOL

I never once said Nyers SHOLUD have done it,I said most of us CAN do what was done if not better. youre all confused and making assumptions, what I have said is I enjoy good Twist artwork, this however was sub par for him. And the funny thing is, he would probably agree!

I doubt he would, but I guess neither of us really knows.

and again, i never said your opinion isnt your opinion, what the hells going on here?????????

I basically said you are guilty of cheerleading, and if you couldnt understand that before, then I spelled it out simpler this time.

When I typed out my opinion about the wall, and you replied that it was bullshit and I knew it, that I was just a yes-man cheerleader, I took that as saying my opinion wasn't true. Where did I misread that? It sounds like you restated it in the same paragraph where you denied it, only this time tried to make it more of a straight up diss to me. What happened to expecting more?

All I'm saying is that I still stand by my first post, despite your claims that I

1)don't actually feel that way, and

2)for some reason feel like I need to be championing someone who is clearly doing alright on their own.

I don't get on 12 ounce to make sure nobody says anything mean that might hurt Barry's feelings, I get on here to say what I feel.

Asside form those 2 obvious and overworked points, I think its gay to be ironic, and its gay to put up a street legend and say hes RIP.

I don't know where the irony comes in, but yeah, the Josh 5/ Joz 5 thing was unfortunate. What are you gonna do? Someone said "put up a Joz 5 RIP", it sounds a lot like "Put up a Josh 5 RIP". It's an old wall, it probably doesn't have a spell check on it.

Get your propometer up allday, lol. It doesnt mean your right, it means your cheerleader squad is bigger then mine, LOL. and we all know cheerleaders win the game. :rolleyes:

I don't even know what the game is, or why you're taking this so personally; I have nothing against you, I'm just offering a different opinion. I don't expect to change your mind or anyone else's, and I certainly don't think anyone is "winning" anything in Channel 0, ever. I had some shit to say about the wall, I said it while I waited for this work shit to print out, and now I'm going to go do some other stuff. We could just as easily be debating in the Smash or Trash thread. My only point is there are two sides to this debate, and there are a lot of people on both. And ultimately, none of their opinions are going to affect that wall, unless someone goes and paints over it themselves.

what can be said is what the guy above said, in the end its a win reguardless for graff. But being on that wall is a win reguardless, why not knock it out the park? The reason OsGemeos murdered that wall out, is because they are still hungry and humble artists. I dont know Barry personally, but by his actions one could be lead to think he's arrogent and doesnt deserve his place on that space, Im not saying that, but thats what it gives off, all done under the umbrella of "irony" and tight pants. LOL
  • Like 1

Harvey, healthy debate is good, if you genuinely feel the way you do, rock out. But the way you innitially came to rescue just sounded alil jockish, thats all. I am a fan of art, I collect it, and make it and even sell it at times. I enjoy getting into talks about art, especially if I like the artists, but Im being real man, I was disapointed at the sub par outcome of this particular "project" as a solution for the mangled wall that was there prior. When I heard Twist & Amaze where gonna rock it, I thought for sure the bar had been raised , these guys are gonna come and hit a home run. Not spend 4 hours taking tags, and writing a lot of useless shit, like the Josh thing and the Vename B.S. stuff.

You know damn well if a NY artist went to Frisco and did a similar wall and wrote CREAM TDK RIP, all the locals would be like "WTF????, if you gnna show respect, do it right! or its worse then not even writing it to begin with"

I fully agree with most of that post. I'm also an art fan and collector, both inside and outside of the graffiti world. And the part about Dream is dead on, no doubt.

F'real though, I'm not jocking. I honestly think that wall is fresh as fuck, but those guys have also done some shit that I thought was only so-so. I just think that it's cool to go to a spot where the general populace is looking for some family friendly, new New York style mural, and give them a wall full of tags. The people who passed the twins' mural or the Shepard installation and thought, "isn't that nice?" are going to hate this, which I find awesome. It's not "subversive", it's not Kaws dressing up a Disney character, or Espo with some cleverly sappy wordplay* -- it offers nothing at all for the average, non-writer to relate to. That's what I think is great about it.

I do hope that once this has it's run, the twin's mural sees the light of day again, and I know a lot of the neighborhood feels the same way.

*For the record, Espo is awesome, and I would love to see him take a crack at this wall sometime too.

but Harvey, what youre rooting for is the punk idea of rebelion, something NYC was the origin of over 30 yrs ago only a few blocks from this very wall, just sayin, you cant go wrong with just quality artwork. The whole punk, anti art passing it as art is ironic and trendy hipster gay horse shit.

back to square one. Punk is normal in 2010, having a regualr haircut is the new mohawk. By the time you understand what Im saying, there will something else even more ironic and "hip" like a track bite with breaks , just to be ironic.

LEE, FUTURA, COPE2, JA, CRASH, OMNI, PHASE2, VULCAN, JON156, BLADE, GHOST.......

if you want just the whole tagbanging thing WITH HANDSTYLES

EASY/JOSH5 ( still alive )

SKUF

SABE

DEXA

REVS

SCOPE

SEREUNO

all incredible handwriting that woulda made a great statement alone about the art of handwriting if thats the angle you purists are looking to convey.

and the list goes on and on for people with incredible handwriting.

This is just to play devils advocate, it still doesnt solve any issue of the walls quality, thats just who I would replaced it with if it WAS ONLY nyers.

in terms of the Dietch herd , I would have put a SACE memorial, or had Espo do the whole shebang like his love letters to philly campaign, each and every one of those messages where a work of art in itself. At least a giant JOSH or TWIST would have been a more blatent anlge of what Harvey was refering but some tags?

Barry, hate to say it my dude, you half stepped and its time to hit the drawing boards again or pass it off to someone who would have hit a home run.

barry_mcgee2.jpg

Not one bit of graffiti? Sorry, that's ludicrous. I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like you don't have any memory of the art world prior to Twist's entry into it. That wall is drips, buff marks, spray paint, graffiti characters... literally NONE of that stuff was showing up in museums in 1990( what does 1990 have to do with anything? Twist was still in college then LOL). People take those techniques and stylistic elements for granted now in a post Juxtapoz magazine, Saber-has-a-blog world, but Twist was the first to bring that aesthetic to the "art" world.

sorry to have to keep correcting you, but there is not one bit of spray paint on this said wall, no "buff marks" and Im pretty sure there was drips in the art world prior to 1990(1999 actually, Twist first Dietch show in soho), and Im pretttty sure Ralph Steadman was famous for character work and line weight prior to Twists presence on the art scene. and he was even using Barry's iconic red black and white before Barry was. just sayin.

1443302481_c0bf00fecd_o.jpg

i enjoyed reading all of that..

a break from the norm of ch. 0

P.S. Gemoes does flex with those "artsy" characters but if you want to see REAL destruction of raw graffiti....take a ride around Sao Paulo, Brasil in any section of the city, on any street ..they have it killlllled in EVERY medium. call that cheerleading or whatever but it is the truth.

I just wanted to see some classic Barrizzy McGrizzy work. If youre cool with a bunch of tags that 95% of nyc writers CAN DO, then good for you.[/color] But I would rather see the Shep wall fixed or the OsGemeos revealed, and that just an honest opinion.

You "cool guys" cant tell honest criticism from a hater. Thats the problem today. I like Barry's work and would be hyped to own a piece, but this to me was just boring. Now if it was just a background, that he was gonna do faces on top of, or some big ass screw and shit, then It makes sense as a base. But as is, its just trying to do that whole hipster irony "ohh well your talkin about it so" thing, and after 10 years of seeing the williamsburg trends come and go , the whole ironic thing is played out.

i thought the exact same thing when i passed by and took the flick, why do something that we can pretty much all do. (i also though ill probably post this on the oontz) i liked the osgemeos 100x more and the OMNI 10000x more before that, for a while A. Charles had the soho kitchen up there, which was zzz's at least the wall is getting painted frequently, these tags might as well be a sign that says PAINT ME, bc i dont think anyone cares about the work on it.

i enjoyed reading all of that..

a break from the norm of ch. 0

P.S. Gemoes does flex with those "artsy" characters but if you want to see REAL destruction of raw graffiti....take a ride around Sao Paulo, Brasil in any section of the city, on any street ..they have it killlllled in EVERY medium. call that cheerleading or whatever but it is the truth.

when i was in sao paulo i saw rollers on the sides of high rise buildings, quite a few, like office buildings, kinda bugged me out made me think things are a little crazy down here, different rules apply.