Barry McGee "Mural" on Houston Street and Bowery

blackhills

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the pics yesterday, it happened, and it's probably the reason they didn't hit more space outside the legal wall.

true story, they were out after that

4968900386_1db3c5078c_b.jpg

this was at like 4ish... around the time they started doing the not so legal part of the building...

4968900164_06f40f57ca_z.jpg

4968896364_8ebfb328df_z.jpg

i have a ton of photos but i figured i would just post these...

• Like 1

Abe Vigoda?

These guys?

abevigoda.jpg

These dudes are pretty sweet.

twonpoo, most of your posts in this thread make you sound like a crotchety old man

who is just bummed out that he didn't get invited to the party. Just say'n.

:cool:

hey peckerwood. I am a crochy old man, but I dont care about the party, I just wanted to see some classic Barrizzy McGrizzy work. If youre cool with a bunch of tags that 95% of nyc writers CAN DO, then good for you. But I would rather see the Shep wall fixed or the OsGemeos revealed, and that just an honest opinion.

You "cool guys" cant tell honest criticism from a hater. Thats the problem today. I like Barry's work and would be hyped to own a piece, but this to me was just boring. Now if it was just a background, that he was gonna do faces on top of, or some big ass screw and shit, then It makes sense as a base. But as is, its just trying to do that whole hipster irony "ohh well your talkin about it so" thing, and after 10 years of seeing the williamsburg trends come and go , the whole ironic thing is played out.

and for the record, I dont know who those four hipsters are you posted but it must be some cool inside thing, cuz at face value you posted 4 hipsters and refered to them being pretty sweet.

Thanks but no thanks.

i could care less to debate more so have fun with the last word...

The wall is cool because it's in everyone's face. Os Gemeos are fucking rad, but they've been rocking a style for years that the public finds entirely non threatening, and doesn't really associate with graffiti. Shepard Fairey falls under a similar umbrella-- fifteen years ago, people were genuinely puzzled and even made uncomfortable by the huge faces he was putting up, but that's obviously changed in the past decade. That most recent mural seemed like it was there so Herbert and Elaine Outoftowner could drive by and say "hey, the Obama guy!"

Twist, on the other hand, has been doing shit heavily based in graffiti all along, but has always done so with enough universal appeal that he's managed to create a fanbase in the art world. Now they offered him this wall, (which a lot of New Yorkers very much consider theirs, and a place they expect to see beautiful murals) and instead of trying to expand his fan base by doing the faces that everyone wants to see, he basically said "okay, this is what you get: pure, raw graffiti." Something that most people are still going to find somewhat threatening. Something people aren't going to be able to explain, or understand, or know what to do with. And it's right in their fucking faces, and that's awesome.

/coolartanalysisbro

• Like 5

I think youre examining it too hard, like an art critic.

"mmm, the dicotomy of the wooden beard is strategically placed in the trash can, to symbolize the changing of the seasons."

no nigga, they came with red cans and had 4 hours to paint, invited a nyer so nyers dont get TOO mad, then hooked up some ny legends on the wall to show that they "repsect ny", except the RIP they wrote isn't dead. It was JOZ they where thinking of. Josh 5 is alive and kickin.

barry_mcgee2.jpg

this style , although something I enjoy,doesnt rep graffiti like you say in your argument Harvy. Theres not one bit of "graffiti" in it, other then drips, which is another argument in itself.

barry_mcgee11-795811.jpg

again,not an inkling of graffiti.

450.JPG this has some covered tags,

I think Im speaking for everyone who was anticipating "Barry Mcgee" ( not twist publically anymore by the way, so much for the Graff down your throat approach ) then to see him come to ny and do tags? Im not the only one that said "Big Deal" trust me, I just happen to be the only one in here who bothers to talk about it. To many people are just cheerleaders and cant admit when a guy with a history of amazing work does some boring ass shit and half stepped.

barry_mcgee2.jpg

this style , although something I enjoy,doesnt rep graffiti like you say in your argument Harvy. Theres not one bit of "graffiti" in it, other then drips, which is another argument in itself.

Not one bit of graffiti? Sorry, that's ludicrous. I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like you don't have any memory of the art world prior to Twist's entry into it. That wall is drips, buff marks, spray paint, graffiti characters... literally NONE of that stuff was showing up in museums in 1990. People take those techniques and stylistic elements for granted now in a post Juxtapoz magazine, Saber-has-a-blog world, but Twist was the first to bring that aesthetic to the "art" world.

barry_mcgee11-795811.jpg

again,not an inkling of graffiti.

Agreed, not graffiti. Is this what you were hoping for on the wall? The whole point of this stuff was to experiment with abstraction, and be visually jarring, confusing, or overwhelming to the viewer. It contributes to the sensory overload that Barry's always tried to create with his shows. But it's been done enough that it wouldn't have had that same impact on the Bowery wall. I'm glad he didn't just do another one of these.

450.JPG this has some covered tags,

I think Im speaking for everyone who was anticipating "Barry Mcgee" ( not twist publically anymore by the way, so much for the Graff down your throat concept )...

So because cluless bloggers all called this a Barry Mcgee wall, rather than a Twist wall, those tags aren't graffiti?

...then to see him come to ny and do tags? Im not the only one that said "Big Deal" trust me, I just happen to be the only one in here who bothers to talk about it. To many people are just cheerleaders and cant admit when a guy with a history of amazing work does some boring ass shit and half stepped.

Having a different opinion is not the same thing as "not being able to admit" that your opinion is right. I think this wall is one of the freshest ideas I've seen in a while. Fine, you think those dudes half-stepped. Make sure to let them know next time you see them, I'm sure they'll lose sleep over it. Better yet, go diss the wall if you don't respect it. That's what a REAL NEW YORKER would do, right?

• Like 1

I dont care what you, or anyone says to me about opinions, I know quality work when I see it, even if I dont like the person doing it, if they rock the house, Ill give it up , not a prob for me. And at the same time even if I do like the person, and they half step, I can tell them they are, instead of them sitting in a room of yesmen cheerleaders praising low quality.

The wall is cool because it's in everyone's face. Os Gemeos are fucking rad, but they've been rocking a style for years that the public finds entirely non threatening, and doesn't really associate with graffiti. Shepard Fairey falls under a similar umbrella-- fifteen years ago, people were genuinely puzzled and even made uncomfortable by the huge faces he was putting up, but that's obviously changed in the past decade. That most recent mural seemed like it was there so Herbert and Elaine Outoftowner could drive by and say "hey, the Obama guy!"

Twist, on the other hand, has been doing shit heavily based in graffiti all along, but has always done so with enough universal appeal that he's managed to create a fanbase in the art world. Now they offered him this wall, (which a lot of New Yorkers very much consider theirs, and a place they expect to see beautiful murals) and instead of trying to expand his fan base by doing the faces that everyone wants to see, he basically said "okay, this is what you get: pure, raw graffiti." Something that most people are still going to find somewhat threatening. Something people aren't going to be able to explain, or understand, or know what to do with. And it's right in their fucking faces, and that's awesome.

/coolartanalysisbro

^THIS. end conversation...