Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NHL 10-11 SEASON

freighthunter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$hark$ allday everday, on another note came across this blog entry bout crosby..

I’m the last person I ever thought would be writing this article, and that is why I have to write it. Because I have never, ever been a Sidney Crosby fan.

And I still am not.

SidtheKid-300x225.jpg

Obviously as a Red Wings fan living in the U.S., it isn’t hard to think of about 27 legitimate reasons to dislike the guy. Two hard fought Finals, not to mention his dream-sinking, cloud-kicking, overtime goal against the Red, White and Blue in the last Winter Olympics…

No, a Crosby fan I am not.

But I have to respect the guy. And the reason is simple: He works hard.

Sid is talented enough that he could just set himself on cruise control and easily roll to a few Cups and a place in the Hall. He is so much better than nearly everyone else on the planet who plays the game. But he doesn’t. Cruising, I don’t think, is in Sid’s vocabulary.

With Sidney, it doesn’t seem like he is in competition with another team, or teammates, or anything else besides himself. I know I am not the first to make the observation, but it seems like year after year, he mechanically picks one part of his game that he feels is lacking and hones in on it until he’s better at it than anyone else.

He began by working on the faceoffs coming out of his rookie campaign. Then he started shooting more, and passing less. Then he started scoring more, and started working on the more intricate parts of his two-way game. I don’t think a Selke is out of the question for his already crowded mantle.

And despite all the dissecting that we as hockey annalists do, I sincerely feel like no one is more aware of Sidney Crosby’s game than Sidney himself. A few games ago, people were noticing that he hadn’t taken a shot for two or three games. “Crosby held Shotless.” You know, that kind of hoopla. Then suddenly he takes something like 26 shots over his next two games, scoring a few goals in the process.

Once this guy figures out how to flip all his gears on at once, no one is going to be able to stop him. The NHL is going to have to pass a rule to have him play on a skateboard or something to help the other teams keep up.

He’s working on deflections now? The third goal is Terrifying. Absolutely terrifying.

Every summer when he comes back, he is better than he was three months ago, when he was already the best in the world. It’s that kind of dedication to a craft that makes a talented person special. He’s not at home, swimming, or hitting up the club scene. He’s working. We see it time and time again in football. A kid with the raw talent to be great, but the second he cashes that first paycheck he loses focus and drive, and soon enough he’s on a lift, getting rotated out of town for a fifth rounder and a prayer.

Sid never fell into that mold. It’s the work ethic and will to win that sets Sidney Crosby apart from his peers. That “first one on, last one off” mentality that he has probably had since he was three or four. This is the guy I would want my kids growing up to and emulating. As good as a guy like Ovie is, he isn’t the guy I want my kids looking after. I don’t want USA Hockey to adapt changes to their program to crank out a few AOs. I want just one Sidney.

So when I read articles about the over-exposure of Sidney, about how the League should be focusing on other super stars, well, I can’t help but sigh to myself. Don’t you guys get it yet? This is the guy we needed representing the League.

And that is an important, but ultimate, distinction. Maybe he isn’t the guy we all want. But he is the guy we need.

There’s a million reasons not to like the guy. But mostly, I feel that people are aggravated because he does everything right. He’s so level-headed and so darn good, and it’s hard for me to swallow as well. He’s the same age as I am – we both turned twenty-three last August – and while I am sitting here blogging about hockey and teaching myself to play guitar, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, Sidney is out there carrying an entire sport on his back without wincing.

1-200x300.jpg

And the guy can’t even grow a beard.

When he came into the League, a lot of people accused Sid of diving and whining, etc. And I was one of those people. But if we’re being honest, those of us who have watched hockey consistently have watched Sidney grow up and grow out of those things. It’s so easy to forget just how young he was. Of course some of his bad habits from Juniors crept into his pro game initially. But he identified those things, and made positive changes.

And he continues to do so to this day.

Do I love Sidney Crosby? Not by a long shot. I generally can be seen rooting against him at any given opportunity. Go Red Wings. Go Flyers. Go Team USA. Go Caps. Go whatever. But in the back of my mind, I will always be thankful for being able to watch a player of this magnitude grow up and grow into his own skin, turning into one of the best hockey players to have ever lived, right before our very eyes. I’ll be thankful that he didn’t flop and that he didn’t blow it like so many other young stars have in the other big sports. And I’ll be thankful that he was here in time. When the game we all cherish and love needed it the most.

Sidney saw the League limping out of the lockout, and quietly said to himself “everybody chill… I got this.”

So the next time you are talking about Sidney Crosby receiving too much exposure from the NHL, complaining that Mike Richards or Ryan Miller should be given some of the spotlight too, just slow down and try to imagine the League trying to scrape its way back to prominence without him.

Again, opinions are like....

Lemieux was my favorite player as a youngan. And was the best player I ever saw play. FUCK GRETZKY

You can keep arguing about shit. The pen's did this, or didn't do that. PHILLY IS AWESOME BRO or whatever other bullshit you're currently spewing, this is my last comment to you.

Hockey is the best sport in the world.

Looking for somewhat intelligent conversation on hockey look elsewhere. (Except for the few on here, they know who they are) End/

I’m the last person I ever thought would be writing this article, and that is why I have to write it. Because I have never, ever been a Mike Commodore fan.

And I still am not.

sideshow_mike_commodore.jpg

Obviously as a Flyers fan living in the U.S., it isn’t hard to think of about 27 legitimate reasons to dislike the guy. One hard fought Final, not to mention his dream-sinking, cloud-kicking, shifts against the oilers

No, a Commodore fan I am not.

But I have to respect the guy. And the reason is simple: He works hard.

Mike is talented enough that he could just set himself on cruise control and luckily roll to a few Cups and a job in the organization. He is so much better than nearly everyone else on the planet who plays the game. But he doesn’t. Cruising, I don’t think, is in Mike’s vocabulary.

With Mike, it doesn’t seem like he is in competition with another team, or teammates, or anything else besides himself. I know I am not the first to make the observation, but it seems like year after year, he mechanically picks one part of his game that he feels is lacking and hones in on it until he’s better at it than others.

He began by working on ice skating coming out of his rookie campaign. Then he started shooting more, and passing less. Then he started scoring more, and started working on the more intricate parts of his two-way game. I don’t think a beer or two is out of the question for his already crowded fridge.

And despite all the dissecting that we as hockey annalists do, I sincerely feel like no one is more aware of Mike Commodore’s game than Mike himself. A few games ago, people were noticing that he hadn’t taken a shift for two or three games. “Commodore held Shotless.” You know, that kind of hoopla. Then suddenly he takes something like 26 penalties over his next two games, scoring zero goals in the process.

Once this guy figures out how to flip all his gears on at once, no one is going to be able to stop him. The NHL is going to have to pass a rule to have him play on a skateboard or something until the rest of the team is finished playing hockey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fcxUDnloE0

He’s working on nut shots now? The third goal of his career is Terrifying. Absolutely terrifying.

Every summer when he comes back, he is better than he was three months ago, when he was already the best in the world. It’s that kind of dedication to a craft that makes a talented person special. He’s not at home, swimming, or hitting up the club scene. He’s working. We see it time and time again in football. A kid with the raw talent to be great, but the second he cashes that first paycheck he loses focus and drive, and soon enough he’s on a lift, getting rotated out of town for a fifth rounder and a prayer.

Mike never fell into that mold. It’s the work ethic and will to win that sets Mike Commodore apart from his peers. That “first one on, last one off” mentality that he has probably had since he was three or four. This is the guy I would want my kids growing up to and emulating. As good as a guy like Ovie is, he isn’t the guy I want my kids looking after. I don’t want USA Hockey to adapt changes to their program to crank out a few AOs. I want just one Mike.

So when I read articles about the over-exposure of Mike, about how the League should be focusing on other super stars, well, I can’t help but sigh to myself. Don’t you guys get it yet? This is the guy we needed representing the League.

And that is an important, but ultimate, distinction. Maybe he isn’t the guy we all want. But he is the guy we need.

There’s a million reasons not to like the guy. But mostly, I feel that people are aggravated because he does everything right. He’s so level-headed and so darn good, and it’s hard for me to swallow as well. He’s the same age as I am – we both turned twenty-three last August – and while I am sitting here blogging about hockey and teaching myself to play guitar, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, Mike is out there carrying an entire keg on his back without wincing.

commodore_mike041027.jpg

And the guy can even grow a beard.

When he came into the League, a lot of people accused Mike of fighting and skating badly, etc. And I was one of those people. But if we’re being honest, those of us who have watched hockey consistently have watched Mikey grow up and grow out of those things. It’s so easy to forget just how young he was. Of course some of his bad habits from Juniors crept into his pro game initially. But he identified those things, and made positive changes.

And he continues to do so to this day.

Do I love Mike Commodore? Not by a long shot. I generally can be seen rooting against him at any given opportunity. Go Red Wings. Go Flyers. Go Team USA. Go Caps. Go whatever. But in the back of my mind, I will always be thankful for being able to watch a player of this magnitude grow up and grow into his own skin, turning into one of the best hockey players to have ever lived, right before our very eyes. I’ll be thankful that he didn’t flop and that he didn’t blow it like so many other young stars have in the other big sports. And I’ll be thankful that he was here in time. When the game we all cherish and love needed it the most.

Mike saw the League limping out of the lockout, and quietly said to himself “everybody chill… I got this next round.”

So the next time you are talking about Mike Commodore receiving too much exposure from the NHL, complaining that Mike Richards or Ryan Miller should be given some of the spotlight too, just slow down and try to imagine the League trying to scrape its way back to prominence without him.

If anyone asks, I wasn't on here.

Just checking in on what y'all up to. Been checking out the World Juniors. Been pretty upset with the Sabres, but there's too much bad blood with anyone in the east, except maybe Atlanta, since they've got Pavelec, coached by who? ? ?, the Canadian Cowboy Goalie with the Cuban Necktie, Clint Malarchuk! I love that guy, and I wish he would stop trying to kill himself.

I also wish the green guys would stay in Van, do any Canucks fans like those fools? Are they even hockey fans? Either way, they have no business at an amateur event like the IIHF. What were they there for? However, I have to admit they have some moves, and they did not seem to get up for crappy songs.

Lolz at no hand shake... talk.about a team full of cry babies..... dudes got out played almost all 60 minutes.... ill say this I was rooting for the caps.... fluery sucked huge nuts.... he's like the new luongo.... also.... that ovie goal that got waved off because of goalie interference was kind of bs in my opinion..... if you don't call it right away why call it at all......and before anyone who knowa jack shit about hockey says that the ref was waiting for a whistle.... they blow the whistle right away 99.99%of the time on behind the net goalie interference.... I think it should have counted but fluery went into scramble mode wwhich any goalie does when the het caught behind the net.... and fluery got lucky on the wrap around that was missed.... but he looked stupid....

uh. OILERS VS i forget BRUH. was the first outdoor game in a large number of years.... it got lots of good views....

so they re-vamped after the lock out and waited for a team with a star they could have as a poster boy for it... - sid the kid - thus why you think 2008 was the first year, get your hockey knowledge correct brohamen.

edit... - they waited so many years because.. after 2003 shit with the lock out was starting.... and 2008 was the best year for them to bring it back with the pens having two up and coming stars, and playing as well as they did.... (my opinion.... = ) why do you think sid the kid got the game winning goal in a shoot out, on a really easy stop, when miller had been playing well the whole game......

also... BRUINS WTF COME ON.... LOOSING 7-6 WHEN YOU HAD THAT FUCKING GAME IN THE BAG. COME THE FUCK ON! props to the dude on the sabres... guy was NUTS.... his shoot out goal just was a super face palm for all of bruins fans.... but seguin coming back and scoring like he did was an ego booster... he's gonna be a great player.

sayword- when does edmonton not lose? :lol:

for those who obviously know nothing of hockey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Winter_Classic

BOO YAKA SHAN. 2003.

i figured you'd get technical and say "WINTER CLASSIC."

WINTER CLASSIC --- ITS THE AMERICAN TERM FOR HERITAGE CLASSIC GENIUS... SEEING AS HOW HOCKEY STARTED OUT IN CANADA... ON FROZEN PONDS.

P.S. 2003.

• Like 1

"The first was January 1, 2008, between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York."

its okay to be wrong once and while.

is it that hard to use google?

I WAS AT THIS GAME ALONG WITH OVER 50 000 OTHER PEOPLE FREEZING OUR BALLS OFF.

IN 2003.

IN EDMONTON.

ITS OKAY TO BE WRONG ONCE IN A WHILE.

boat: yea its been tough being a fan as of late. we had our cup run to game seven, and then we lost smytty, and souray the chandelier started whining and poisioning the dressing room. we just lost eberle last night too. fuck.

i cant really hate. we hear rumors of vanek possibly coming a few years back. heatley too. but i guess if youre making millions playing hockey, why do it in edmonton of all places if you can possibly help it, when there are alternatives such as new york, florida, california...etc.

its tough to win games when khabbibulin is your best player night in and night out, and as a team you never put up more than 15 shots a game.

fuck.

only 3 years of the winter classic and the pens play it twice. lol nhl is on their balls too hard. thank god they lost.

first post i made there buddy. covering my ass for what? i said winter classic,dont get mad because you are an uptight dickhead. and no ovechkin is a faggot too. a mike richards and grioux fan here.

• Like 1

dude are you serious?

THE NHL ADVERTISED THE HERITAGE CLASSIC IT WAS ON FUCKING T.V. AS THE FIRST OUTDOOR GAME IN A LONG AS TIME.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE... THE NHL LOCK OUT STOPPED THE "WINTER CLASSIC" (AGAIN.. THE AMERICAN VERSION OF THE HERITAGE CLASSIC).... FROM BEING PUT INTO EFFECT.... THE NHL SAW HOW GOOD THEY DID WITH THE 2003 ONE... WAITED AND GOT EVERYTHING SPIFFY AND THOUGHT OUT FOR THEIR 2008 ONE AFTER THE LOCK OUT AND ONCE THEY HAD A TEAM THEY COULD...GET PEOPLE REVVED UP ABOUT....