NHL 10-11 SEASON

freighthunter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be that guy, but holy fuck were the Wings getting away with murder last night. For all the whining Wings fans do about how the laegue brass is out to get them, they get away with a shitload of clutching, grabbing, and throwing picks...

SW I agree with you on gilbert, but he's stepped his game up the last 10 games or so, playing with Theo is rubbing off on him. I also like Jeff Petry, reminds me of Joni Pitkanen in the way he skates and wheels and deals the puck. Once he puts on a bit of weight he's going to be a solid D-man for us.

Having no Ryan Whitney is really hurting our already weak D... and Bulin played like shit tonight.

We outplayed the Wings badly in the third. Couldn't get a call from the refs to save our lives, and Osgood got away with a few lucky bounces that Bulin couldn't come up with.

This is pretty awesome. Didn't know some of these countries had hockey teams.

This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able to.

Can't imagine the quality would be that great, but would still be cool to see. And 50k people isn't that hard to believe, considering how big Mexico City is.

image.jpg

zocalo_rink.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLTeam Russia kicked off plane

EmailPrintComments

Associated Press

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- Russia's gold-medal celebration went into overtime. And that prevented the jubilant participants from boarding their flight Thursday morning, a day after they won the world junior hockey championship.

About 30 members of the Russian contingent were asked to get off a Delta Air Lines flight from Buffalo to Atlanta after boarding for takeoff early Thursday morning, an airport spokesman said.

"To ensure the safe operation of the flight, the crew of Flight 1266 denied boarding to 30 passengers who were traveling together and displaying unruly behavior," Delta spokeswoman Susan Chana Elliott said. "The passengers are being rebooked on a future flight."

Russia overcame a three-goal deficit in the third period to stun Canada 5-3 in the gold-medal game Wednesday night. It was the country's first gold medal since 2003.

An hour and a half after the upset win, several Russian coaches and trainers went on the ice -- one holding a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian whiskey and others sipping from paper cups -- to pose for pictures in front of the scoreboard that had been lowered to ice level after the game.

The players, all 20 years old or younger, already had left the ice.

Buffalo Niagara International Airport spokesman C. Douglas Hartmayer said that after leaving the flight, the group headed to the baggage terminal to collect its belongings, which were taken off the plane.

All Americans in general should be embarrassed by the that canadian fans outnumbered Americans 10-1 on home soil, we'd take buffalo as our own Canadian city if it wasnt such a shit hole.

Go Canada go!

All canadian fans should be embarrassed that they outnumbered the russian fans by 100-1 probably, and had one of the worst collapses of any team in hockey history. If not all of sports...

Missed this somehow/END

I was born in 1980, and since then, Canada has won the WJC so many times that it feels like I only remember the losses.

I remember 1987 clearly, when we got kicked out.

2003, I remember the exact seat cushion I was sitting on at my buddy's dad's house when Fleury let that in.

Last year, sitting with a bitch I call my ex-girlfriend at the bar right by her place.

This year, at my regular bar, with a great deal of friends.

It sucked, but there were Russians at the bar, which made things a little easier, hearing them celebrate.

Their team played a damn good game. I'm not so sure how many times I've seen something like that; the way they just woke the fuck up in the third.

And it drove everyone who didn't go home to drink like crazy and party and even perhaps eventually hook up with someone.

BTW, last episode of 24/7 was pretty good. It made me realize that every team should have an outdoor winter classic to play in.

All canadian fans should be embarrassed that they outnumbered the russian fans by 100-1 probably, and had one of the worst collapses of any team in hockey history. If not all of sports...

Missed this somehow/END

We are embarrassed, that's the fucking point!

Every single newspaper's front page i saw the day after it happened looked like we had a nuclear bomb dropped on us...

Trust me it's still being talked about 2 days later

We do not settle for anything but gold, we failed and are not happy about it

About the WJC's I have to say the US-Finland game I went to there was about 30-35% Americans. The Canadians were way more amped about being there though, and their team had beaten Russia earlier in the day. I overheard someone behind me talking, they came all the way from Victoria, BC, and the green guys were there, it was like seeing a Leafs-Sabres game! The parking sticker shock was pretty nuts, I don't think I've ever paid more than 10 bucks to park at HSBC, I paid 25 to park for that game. That was a debacle. Plus, the US didn't really have a strong showing, though they redeemed themselves somewhat against Sweden. There really isn't total redemption available, from me at least, that Canada game sucked that bad. I think what Russia did was very strategic. They lulled Canada into thinking they had it, and struck when the Canadians were just trying to D it out for the win. It was obvious from Russia's win over Sweden that they weren't above being sneaky like that. They pretty much rock for coming here and pulling that off. It's fitting that it happened in Buffalo a bunch of unsigned, scrappy, not so pretty boys with a dirty, gritty championship. I say that with nothing but love for the dirt. It's more fitting than if the US had won it even.

• Like 1

Weapon, I hate to say it but BB is just going off at the mouth again. He said a bunch of the leafs are in play, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Leafs fans must be feeling a lot like Calgary fans at this point, the future looks mighty bleak with no prospects/draft picks...

Talk of cindy crosby boycotting the allstar game because of how the nhl is treating its players when it comes to dirty hits? Since when did he give a fuck about shit until his ass got handed to him. What a little bitch. How the fuck can Pittsburgh fans stand this shit stain playing for them?

Pittsburgh fans explain yourself here:

woops sorry shameless. :lol: i'm not a pitt fan.

but if that's true, he just doesn't wanna get shown up by ovie at everything during allstar weekend. :lol: jokes, don't get all umad crosby fans.

STREET, have fun man.

i'll be watching, for your sake i hope it's a real good game, one where we play well.

i agree with what you said, i was just having that conversation a couple days ago with some random dude in the bar while watching a game... it's like we play 3 games,

1 - we're down 2 goals going into the 3rd... and we come back and win/fail at scoring in a shootout.

2 - we're up 2 goals going into the 2nd/3rd and we end up playing like we don't care and go down a goal before the game is over, and lose, or we end up in a shoot out that we lose.

3- it's a complete blow out and we waste all our scoring in one game (sad to say.. that's how i feel sometimes, like we get a huge scoring burst one game, and then they next game no one can put a fucking puck in the net)

about a week ago.... we had a stat that said we put up 17 goals in the last 132 minutes of play...

Talk of cindy crosby boycotting the allstar game because of how the nhl is treating its players when it comes to dirty hits? Since when did he give a fuck about shit until his ass got handed to him. What a little bitch. How the fuck can Pittsburgh fans stand this shit stain playing for them?

Pittsburgh fans explain yourself here:

Matt Cooke on Marc Savard.

Nuff said.

Granted I haven't seen much of the B's this year (and I should be cos of Seguin) but Savard just looks like he's playing like he's watching over his shoulder, so to speak. He isn't carrying the puck with the same authority he was last year before that hit, and the year before when he lit it up.

I hope he comes around too. I think he just needs time, he missed a shit load of hockey last year and you don't just jump right back into the NHL after missing so much time.