Good article on Shepard Fairey plagiarism...

SerialSkiller

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of my point, it's obvious dude is stealing propaganda poster art, no question.

My point is that it doesn't matter in this atmosphere if it's stolen or not, and people could care less.

I just wish more people with actual artistic talent could earn a living making art.

Shepard Fairey is rich because his original experiment played out like he expected. I remember before the internet, when Shep's shit was popping up in graffiti magazines/videos and he was getting shine from the graffiti "community."

This advertisement was in the back of an original 12oz magazine.

100_1213.jpg

The original Andre image was copied off a trading card and everyone knew it. Nobody bitched and moaned about him being a biter then.

It wasn't until he started getting fame, money, and tons of exposure that people started hating on the guy. Celebrities started hyping him, his clothing line started getting sold in Urban Outfitters and malls. His shows got bigger and his work sold for big money. He was all over the place and everyone seemed to want a piece of him --except the graffiti "community." All of a sudden he's a "faggot" or a "sell out."

At one point in time people appreciated what the guy was doing. Maybe it was because there weren't a million other people wheat pasting or maybe it's because he actually put in more work than most kids who post on this forum. But once he actually started getting some shine and making a really good living off his hustle, people started hating the guy. People who've never met the guy, some who even liked his work at one point in time, a lot who weren't old enough to remember what he was doing before the internet and his fame.

I'm not defending the dude and people can think what they want, but it seems like a lot of people are hating because they're just following a trend. You can hate on his "art" if you really don't like it, but in the end you gotta admit the man must have done something right to get the shine and money he's received off the fame that the graffiti "community" pretty much started.

I don't know. I guess I can understand why people hate the guy or his work, but seriously, people need to stop all the fucking bitching and moaning about it. It's like a broken record now.

Shep went over a memorial painted for a writer who died with a paid mural... not a good look, therefore i have been on a UMAD streak on this faggot for a good minute now...

This is a justifiable reason to hate the guy. But I still think a lot of the general hate for the dude is just a trend like everything else popular in graffiti and the internet.

oh and guy has been putting in work for years.

more thsn most 12oz graffers. he got fame, and money. lucked out.

if you cant see these images are being stolen youre an idiot. so what he ripped off a communist poseter, sergivolhkeheoihdov probably got a medal for the sweet poster. now shep gets 20g a couple hookers and a fun night.

99% of you have been ripping off an artform that died in the late 80s.

• Like 2

This is a justifiable reason to hate the guy. But I still think a lot of the general hate for the dude is just a trend like everything else popular in graffiti and the internet.

yea for me its personal. he fucked over a friend business wise really hard then pulled that jack move in NYC last visit. that was kinda it for me. i know him personally and skated with him very often when he lived here in RI. i have a really old original thats worth cake and its to the point im brokering it right now because i just cant stand him and what he is anymore. at first i liked the original concept and campaign but the last several years when it got all heavy meaningful and political, like give me a fucking break how fucking tired, yea Bush sucked yea war is bad...zzzzzzzzzzzz

The gestalt of Channel Zero strikes me as pure jealousy when guys like Banksy or Shepard Fairey come up. I'm not sure if anyone here comes close to the level of fame and output they've accomplished, but...I'd say 99.99% of us would be lucky to achieve 1% of the work and fame these guys have under their belts. Most of the chatter just sounds like player hating from the sidelines.

The exceptions to this statement who can talk shit for whatever reason are IHATEU, Harvey, Earl...maybe there's other people here who know him or have dealt with him, I don't know.

I don't care for the guy or his work (met him once, wasn't really impressed) but it's pretty hard to knock his hustle/work ethic.

I have no right to talk shit on the guy. Other than growing up in the Providence area and seeing the whole Andre campaign grow from it's roots, I really have no connection to the dude. I can easily do two degrees of separation with close friends, but personally I didn't know the dude.

I actually like his work, even though I think it's getting a little old and played out now, but it's probably because I watched it grow and that's why I respect it. I've definitely seen some interviews with him, over the past few years, and thought shit was getting kind of corny, but like I said on the last page, I can't hate or disrespect the fact that he's made a really healthy living off the evolution of one sticker he did in college.

There was this dude Shelter who used to skate for Giant when it was in Providence. Anyone know what became of that dude? He was good people and damn good on a board. I hope that dude is well now too.

The gestalt of Channel Zero strikes me as pure jealousy when guys like Banksy or Shepard Fairey come up. I'm not sure if anyone here comes close to the level of fame and output they've accomplished, but...I'd say 99.99% of us would be lucky to achieve 1% of the work and fame these guys have under their belts. Most of the chatter just sounds like player hating from the sidelines.

The exceptions to this statement who can talk shit for whatever reason are IHATEU, Harvey, Earl...maybe there's other people here who know him or have dealt with him, I don't know.

I don't care for the guy or his work (met him once, wasn't really impressed) but it's pretty hard to knock his hustle/work ethic.

thats reasonable,i do however think a lot of people mainly are hating on the whole association people like banksy,obey and numerous other street artists have with graffiti by an ignorant public.

what im saying is most writers will put in more effort and time into getting a solid style that is personal to them bits and pieces that no one else does that is a unique part of what makes they're art theirs and then to be constantly put down,slandered and most often than not charged and put in the same league if not above ,rapists and violent criminals in the prison system by said ignorant public who dont understand/take the time to look and learn.

but then for those same people to turn around and clap and praise these so called modern day masters who take images drop them in photoshop fuck around with some colour and lines and then pay to print it from an industrial printer then put it up in 5-10 minutes.or spend so many hours cutting it out.

(it's a kick in the teeth it brings about a lot of hate and aggression towards them.)(which it should fuck you cookie cutter faggots.)

therefor putting no real work or skill into it.i personaly dont think anyone who cannot draw a basic portrait should ever be remotley considered an artist, that is how i am and always will be how ever close minded or arrogant it may make me.

as far as originality goes its near impossible as artists have and always will seek inspiration from other artists a lot of the time its subconcious or some beef to be the best .a lot do it for short cuts or to maby show thier respect to an artist,shepard fairey how ever saw a quick way of making money and cashed in.he is a business man like many other "artists" have become ..the true meaning of art has been lost to a bunch of yuppies in tight pants with ties and check books.

art should stay free, which i think is if there ever was a meaning behind the graffiti movement the only reason a lot of people started because you turned the buildings and rooftops,vans,trains and every bland, boring, depressive sight into a colourfull shocking offensive masterpiece that you may have even risked your life for..you certainly risked freedom to create something in the hopes it would inspire someone.

either that or you just like pissing people off. :)

/endopinion.

"Most well known for his "Obey Giant" street posters, Shepard Fairey has carefully nurtured a reputation as a heroic guerilla street artist waging a one man campaign against the corporate powers-that-be. Infantile posturing aside, Fairey’s art is problematic for another, more troubling reason - that of plagiarism.

Lincoln Cushing, Josh MacPhee, and Favianna Rodriguez, worked closely with me on researching this article, having initially brought Fairey’s plagiarism to my attention. Cushing is an art historian and author of Revolución: Cuban Poster Art, Visions of Peace & Justice, and Chinese Posters: Art from the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution. Josh MacPhee is an artist, activist and author of Stencil Pirates: A Global Survey of the Street Stencil, and Favianna Rodriguez is an artist, activist and Chicana print maker. Their invaluable research and documentation provides the foundation for most of what appears in this article..."

continued...

http://art-for-a-change.com/Obey/

Art fag "street artists" hating on their originator (who actually did put in real work back in the day) is even gayer than the art faggotry that they're hating on.

I'm actually gonna have to side with the Fairy on this one.

/nohomo

i wonder if shepard can really draw though.i would like to see if he has any skills with the pen and whatnot.

Probably not, just like 99.99999999% of all stencil/wheatpasten fags.

Just like the majority of artschool kids these days apparently can't draw for shit.

Shit, most graff writers ain't artists either in any sense outside of graffiti.

And I include myself in that category.

I think some of you fail to grasp that 'art' is more than just pretty paintings and can take many forms.

Some of Shepard's posters plagiarize past images, but the point is not always in the image on the poster, but rather how it is disseminated.

The viral nature of the work is what has made it popular. Putting up stickers everywhere, kids on the internet getting them and putting them everywhere, etc made it ubiquitous.

He's obviously cashing in on it. But so what? Don't buy his shit.

• Like 1

You could say the same about Snooki or Tia Tequila.

Would you really be jeolous of some dumb Jersey guido bitch who is internet friends with John McCain, or some equally attention craving cockwhore whore who got juggalo shit thrown at her at a juggalo fest?

Is it really just jealous hating every time you talk shit on anybody?

Also I love how two of the 3 people who you just mentioned as being qualified to talk shit are just mods on here who as far as I know aren't anybody at all in the graff world, and have even stated as much that they don't even really write.

You sure you're not dickeating to be a mod? :lol:

Only stuff I own of his is this, signed, hanging up in the hallway:

davis3-22-09-20.jpg

And the Obama "Hope" hanging right over my desk...

But I also wonder if he can draw freehand. All his stuff is just grabbing photos someone took, and then photoshopping them then vectoring in illustrator.

But that Obama shit put him on the map. He was already known in the street art & graff world, but that made his style known to everyone... and it spawned a whole new sub-culture immitating that style.

Even Glenn Beck has it in the background all the time on his show:

beck-faith-hope-charity.jpg

I like Jeff Koons over Banksy and Fairy if we're going to talk about appropriation. His work is much more interesting and developed. To me both Banksy and Fairy, despite going to an art school, find it hard to express anything unique. People seem to like their subject matter because its accessible and knee jerk political, which to me is boring.