Your mom goes to college.

Soup

THe older you get the more you realize this isnt how it works. You graduate college and you realize you're four years behind the people who didn't go. You've also lost all your life skills like how to be social and how to have fun because all you've focused on are those stupid fucking skills that were SUPPOSED to get you the job you always wanted. Never works out that way. Chances are you're going to graduate and get a job you've never heard of for a company you didnt know existed....IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Most people get out of college and dont even find work. Sometimes it's because there's no jobs, other times they wont hire you because you're overqualified. You also have issues with stress, anxiety, depression, anger and regret because you just wasted all your money and youth on something really fucking stupid. It's ok tho, because there's a whole community of college grads out there that have the exact same problems, so there's something for everybody to bond over.

As far as the wife, kids, and nice neighborhood. If that's whats going to make you happy, why are you waiting to get done with college? Sounds like a huge waste of time.

I dont see it that way at all. If thats how you look at it, its not for you. Quit and do what you want. Dont talk about it, be about.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont tell people what to do (and/or quote rap lyrics), stupid. It's a discussion. We're talking about what college actually is compared to all these preconceived notions. Its not like theres a wife getting class. Or a living in a nice neighborhood class, yet those are two very often associated things with college. I got a friend whos a microbiology grad from UC berkeley. He's 27 and teaches karate in the diamond district of Oakland. All the reasons you're going to college don't come with the diploma. That's all I'm saying.

If you want to look at the worst case scenario. Im saying, the 18 hours a week I spend at college dont feel like Im at college. Just how I hope the degree will pay off into a career that doesnt feel like work.

I dont equate college with any of the things I listed, its just the easiest way for me to achieve the personal success I want. And even if things go completely sour, what Im studying is still something Im completely interested in. To me it is a win-win situation.

No offense but that kind of rhetoric's why most of today's youth are in debt and miserable. It completely depends on what your goals are. And if your life's goals are ANYTHING other than just being happy with yourself, they are completely unrealistic. All this bullshit about a fancy job and diploma making all your dreams coming true is what it is: marketing.

The industry I'm in requires a degree because there's a lot of studying involved and they want to know your able to comprehend a certain level of theoretical based learning before they take you on.

All in all degrees are just a sweetener as part of your resume and will incur you debt and a lot of years in lost income. So it's probably best your certain it's something you want to do as opposed to just doing it because of social pressure.

They also like to know you're able to commit to something long term and overcome challenges and push yourself through things you don't really enjoy.

I havent quit school yet because being an architect could come in handy for my tribe. After all, someone's gotta build the huts.

Life's about food, love, lots of exercise, and meeting tons of people. That's something that can be done on any budget.

College makes it possible for people to not have to do trial and error learning and avoid pitfalls in areas that have been more or less figured out to allow them to understand that stuff and move on and progress to further the field.

I feel you on the second part and agree with you to a degree, but 10,000 years ago, people were much better equipped to handle life on plains overall because their diets weren't shit and they weren't faggy vegetarians.

i went to college. it was worthless.

i wish i'd joined a union. i'd be making so much more money.

i made more money waiting tables than i do now. i only stay for the insurance.

I feel this as well.

I was in a union making bank when I was like 21.

But college made it possible for me to travel the world working and living in other countries.

Union job would have just let me go on shitty touristy vacations in them.

the reason i go to college is because my field of interest requires me to. will it make me happier? absolutely. not because of money, or because society told me to. i've been hurting on funds my whole life and im happy as fuck, so fuck the money aspect. i attend college because i want to succeed in my interest in life, which so happens to require a degree. i've had good paying union job working for com ed, but it was to fucking easy, almost mind numbing. plus im not fond of climbing up poles in rain and snow at 2a.m. i make 1/10 of what i used to at my new job, but it gives me time to go to college and do what i want to for a living in the future. i also agree with you on the subject of people going to college because they think going into career the pays good will make them happy. genuine happyness come from achieveing your lifes greatest ambitions, not a big paycheck so you can buy shit you don't need. people like that have a void in their self perception, so they buy shit to impress people.

No offense but that kind of rhetoric's why most of today's youth are in debt and miserable. It completely depends on what your goals are. And if your life's goals are ANYTHING other than just being happy with yourself, they are completely unrealistic. All this bullshit about a fancy job and diploma making all your dreams coming true is what it is: marketing.

I agree. That has some truth to it, but a lot of our youth are also lazy as hell and hardly show any motive or effort. But i also agree that a diploma isn't going to get you a nice house and a fancy job, hard work will. And even then I doubt that will make anyone happy.

College makes it possible for people to not have to do trial and error learning and avoid pitfalls in areas that have been more or less figured out to allow them to understand that stuff and move on and progress to further the field.

Im really curious what this statement means. Are you saying people who take the college route don't have trial and error learning and avoid pitfalls? I think you gotta rewrite that.

I feel you on the second part and agree with you to a degree, but 10,000 years ago, people were much better equipped to handle life on plains overall because their diets weren't shit and they weren't faggy vegetarians.

Hahah faggy vegetarians indeed. jk. Three off topic points here:

-Our genes aren't stronger or weaker. They've just adapted. In a few generations of nomadic living they'd be adapted to that lifestyle just as well as they ever were. Not saying we should revert to a completely nomadic existence. Just saying this one we currently live in is completely unsustainable and won't be around much longer.

-Its really hard to be a vegetarian now because the vegetables we eat are far inferior in nutrients than what they once were. That's why its so expensive to be a vegetarian, because you have to buy a fucking ton of food to have the same amount of nutrients. Even still, everybody should replace all the bread they eat with vegetables.

-What's the biggest difference between a poor area with low educational test scores and a wealthy area with high educational test scores? The food.

I feel this as well.

I was in a union making bank when I was like 21.

But college made it possible for me to travel the world working and living in other countries.

Union job would have just let me go on shitty touristy vacations in them.

If what you want to do in life is travel, has anyone just thought of traveling? I know tons of people that just go places and find jobs wherever they go. Pfffft lived in the favelas for months teaching english. If anything just become a merchant marine. Nooone should give a shit about money, but there's money in being a merchant marine. Then again there's money in everything. Cept college.

I agree. That has some truth to it, but a lot of our youth are also lazy as hell and hardly show any motive or effort. But i also agree that a diploma isn't going to get you a nice house and a fancy job, hard work will. And even then I doubt that will make anyone happy.

Maybe they're just happy doing what they're doing? Why must you judge them and say they're lazy? Not everybody has that type-A personality to go out and show that they're better than everyone else.

Im really curious what this statement means. Are you saying people who take the college route don't have trial and error learning and avoid pitfalls? I think you gotta rewrite that.

Hahah faggy vegetarians indeed. jk. Three off topic points here:

-Our genes aren't stronger or weaker. They've just adapted. In a few generations of nomadic living they'd be adapted to that lifestyle just as well as they ever were. Not saying we should revert to a completely nomadic existence. Just saying this one we currently live in is completely unsustainable and won't be around much longer.

-Its really hard to be a vegetarian now because the vegetables we eat are far inferior in nutrients than what they once were. That's why its so expensive to be a vegetarian, because you have to buy a fucking ton of food to have the same amount of nutrients. Even still, everybody should replace all the bread they eat with vegetables.

-What's the biggest difference between a poor area with low educational test scores and a wealthy area with high educational test scores? The food.

If what you want to do in life is travel, has anyone just thought of traveling? I know tons of people that just go places and find jobs wherever they go. Who gives a shit about money?

Nah, I'm saying it starts you off running instead of having to try all the failed shit out that has been tried in the past so as to keep up progress.

In my opinion, everybody eats like shit for the most part. Even vegetarians who think they are healthy are fooling themselves. Whatever though. The USDA is evil.

Traveling broke is stressful and money comes in handy a lot when you get stuck in shitty situations. I'm not talking about large amounts of money here, but some is better than none and transportation is expensive.

I think that's partly the reason Im sick of the college/job/house/car lifestyle. I've already decided that my future is going to be a lot of fishing, herding and gardening... and im taking as many converts as I can with me.

There's a number of ways to travel cheap and make money at the same time. If making money's what you're after, become a merchant marine and work a live-aboard. Or just be part of some tour guide company. Churches have missionaries that you can be apart of. Even if you're not religious, if you're down with helping people, try that out. You can also move to a 3rd world country and teach english like thailand, guam, brazil, etc. Pffft did that for a while. Or if illuminati's still around he's made the nomadic life work for years. Hit that fool up. I also know people that have backpacked all throughout south america. Shit I went around cuba for two months on a thousand dollars and was still able to make a profit on the cigars I brought back.

I was one of those people that knew from an early age I would most likely go to university. For some reason it always appealed to me. It's exciting to learn new things.

But after entering the workforce with my new degree, all excited and shit, I've become completely disillusioned with the whole thing. The thought of climbing the corporate ladder for the next 20 years, living in the suburbs, etc. demotivates me right now.

Which is where the problem lies I think. Expectations of life after university are completely fucked. It is not a guaranteed path to success, or happiness.

University is great. But not enough emphasis is put on the idea of education, learning, personal growth and development, meeting people, interaction etc.

We all seem to go in there with one thing in mind.....the $$$ we'll be making after graduation.

I'd consider going back, but just so I can concentrate on doing and learning something new.

My dad always says I've become a cog in the machine. :(

This is an excellent thread. I can't even begin to count all of the people I know who went and got a 4 year degree, only to not work in the field of their major or work in an entirely different field or industry. All of this kind of goes along with other failed institutions of the modern world, like marriage. I think that as a general whole, we are on brink of a new type of ideology which shuns the former and tries a different approach to living.

To add some statistics to this thread:

For-profit colleges slammed by student loan repayment data:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/16/business/la-fi-for-profit-colleges-20100816

The gist is: 54% of public college graduates default on their loans because they cant get jobs/don't make enough money. 56% of private non-profit school grads default, and TWO THIRDS of for-profit schools' graduates default on their loans.

That means statistically, you're more likely to be in crushing debt after graduation with no way to pay it back than not. How's college looking now?

If you read that article its amazing to me that for-profit schools even GET federal funding at all.