Your mom goes to college.

Soup

soup, hawaii isnt a dropout paradise.. its ridiculously expensive to live there.

i dunno.

when i responded in this thread i just didn't get it.. and i guess i still don't. i thought you wanted help or my opinion or something... if you like being an overworked architecture student then i dont know what to tell you, any other friends of mine who were architecture majors did the same shit and have managed to do decently enough for themselves. if you dont like working then don't spend the $$$ to go somewhere for 3/4/5 years where the point is to work. yahmean?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remote still means - separated by an interval or space greater than normal.

Since it has no nearby neighbors and requires a long ass plane ride to get to from just about everywhere I'm assuming it's remote unless you know of some other way to get there not involving a long flight or boat ride. It's probably one of the most remote places on Earth.

Man, long trip to get there does not equate remote.

And a flight to Hawaii isn't more than normal depending on where you fly from.

I'd consider a long arduous trip to a place to be remote.

Like traveling to the Canadian tundra or an island you can't fly to.

Hawaii is an island chain that has been built up and has ready access to all kinds of modern facilities a person would need.

If you can fly there, hop in a cab at the airport after the flight and just cruise up to your destination without batting an eyelash, it ain't remote.

So to you, remote has nothing to do with the definition of the word, more or less if it has an airport or not is what you go by.

Out of curiosity, what would you would call this thing:

ricavision_vista_mce_sideshow_bluetooth_remote.jpg

Although my electronics have no international airport on them, with this thing I can control them from a distance longer than usual (arms length).

• Like 1

I would call that a transbobulator.

I'm saying, definitions change as the world and technology advance.

Hawaii might have been remote before flights were commonplace, but now?

Hawaii is the most common fucking destination for people who want to go to tropical spots.

It's easy as fuck to get to.

Would you call a trip from LA to Philly remote because it's a long plane ride?

The definition may be what it is, but to me Hawaii is the furthest thing from remote as far as dropping out of society and starting a tribe. He'd be better off in Montana.

I love how you guys have turned a thread about college into a thread about how I dont know what Im getting into by moving to hawaii. THIS ISNT OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. YOU HAVENT EVEN BEEN THERE. SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY. Jesus christ you go to college and you come out knowing everything you don't. Fucking idiots.

/ʞunɹp dnos

12oz is my favorite bunch of retards but when you guy try to get on my case about dumb shit I just want to smack you.

i've dipped in and out of college, with different intentions each time. every fucking time i dive back into school i find myself bored as hell and unhappy. most of my peers who attend, or have graduated from college are complete morons. they follow their instructions, memorize the shit, then find themselves clueless as to how the world works. i'd rather spend my time integrating myself into the work world and understanding the politics behind it.

on top of that, i'm happy with a humble life. don't need to be balling... i know plenty of content carpenters without degrees who make enough money and feel pretty fulfilled at the end of the day...

i'm not necessarily against college, but like many of you have said, it is not for everyone. i think i may be in that growing circle of folks who can justify an existence without a formal education.

I went to college, almost 6 years after I graduated from high school.

I got a fancy piece of paper with my name on it, it hangs on the wall at my place of employment.

I learned about stuff I find incredibly interesting, and low and behold, I use the tools I was taught in college on a daily basis at work. I also learned a lot of stuff at work that I wasn't taught in school that I'll take with me in my career path should I decide to move on.

In my opinion kids shouldn't have the 'you need to go to college' routine pounded into them by guidance counsellors and teachers. I know a lot of peeps that went straight to post secondary right out of high school, most of them either dropped out or went straight to academic probation because they couldn't handle living on their own away from home and the responsibility of bearing down and handling their school work.

My girl spent the better part of 6 years in school, on and off, before she got her BSC and she changed her major 3 times before she picked the one she wanted. Now she has a job that is directly related to her field, so in hindsight going to school was worth it for her. She also managed to do it with a minimal amount of debt, which it seems is almost impossible to do...

Where am I going with this post? I dunno. It's 5AM and I'm actually at work right now, being paid to surf 12oz while my trainee handles shit. Life is good.

Haha i havent thought about a name. I just think society would work better if men and women remembered what it was like to live in tribes. It's like summer camp. Forever.

And that's definitely the case with private for-profit schools. Steve Colbert had a whole segment dedicated to that topic recently because Obama's cracking down on them for suckering america into debt. Obama gets some shit for being an intellectual politician (ie: a SUCCESSFUL politician) but he's done a lot to help me out, like get me healthcare and kick around private art schools.

And i hate that saying "college isn't for everbody." It should say "college is for Type A personalities that'll commit suicide when they realize nobody gives a shit about their life's so-called, 'achievements.'" Or more plainly, "college is for people who like to suffer in the rat race."

I dont like to suffer in the rat race. I like to suffer on the beach in the sun with a fruit smoothie and a speargun.

Youth is wasted on the young, etc.

why bother making this discussion topic if you're just going to rant off with stupid generalisations? If you don't like university thats great go do whatever you want. Tertiary education is fantastic for those that are interested in what they study and want to work in highly skilled areas. I'm doing a masters degree now and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Its pretty simple if you like at and its useful to you do it, if not then don't. But either way don't make out that everyone that studies does it to inflate their egos.

Basically you find out what works for you in life. Some it's college, some it's working the same thing for years and years.

Then there is Soup who still thinks he's some upstart Hunter S. Thompson trying to be clever all the while mucking up the water, so it's not totally clear what the fucking point is. Must be hard to be an intellectual giant.

• Like 2