Your mom goes to college.

Soup

Why is there such a societal pressure to go to college? Why is it my fucking hair stylist feels the need to self depricate because she "tried going back to college but couldn't make it." You're a hair stylist. People need hair stylists. If you like being a hair stylist who the fuck cares whether or not you can name all the presidents or identify types of clouds? You know, college shit.

im asking 12oz, what do you think this college bullshit is all about? Working long hours at a shitty job? For what? So you can afford to send your kids to college? Anyone else find that depressingly ironic?

I dunno. Ive been feeling like college isnt for me lately. Not because i don't do well in school. In the past i havent but right now im sitting in honors at the top of my class (they apparently send you fancy letters of recognition and shit), and still i'm totally disillusioned and wanting to drop out and move to hawaii. Im studying architecture and all i want to do is live by the beach in a hut and fish all day, grow some carrots and weed and just lax in the sun.

Part two of this thread: Does anybody want to start a tribe? I think we can afford the land for a reservation by selling our artwork as "tribal relics from a primitive culture." and make millions.

Just a thought.

Fuck college. Fuck degrees. Acquire huts and spears.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never knock college, but it's not for everyone. Out of the people I went to high school with (I won't say grew up with, cause alot of them are dead or in jail) alot of the ones who didn't go to college are doing much better for themselves, myself included. People who got into good companies, learned trades, union jobs, etc etc.

Now, I'm sure my boy who just graduated Brown will end up making more money than me at some point, but right now I've been on my own for years, support myself, have supported other people, and am content with my life, while he's done with college, back at his mom's crib, and doesn't know what to do with his life

The only bad thing about college is that it's a business. They are there to make money off of you. But other than that its a good thing, because its not only a place to learn, but to grow as a person. People in some countries don't have the opportunity to even go to high school let alone college. So, in that sense, we are lucky to have the opportunity, even though it comes at a hefty price.

I wonder if college was free to every citizen in the U.S., how many people would actually take advantage of it and how many would rather just go straight to work after high school?

part 2 of this thread:

im down, what should we call our tribe?

A lot of the time, people might skip college and go right into the workforce. It's just what works for them and there's nothing wrong with it.

However, in 15 years they may well still be making the same 40k salary while their people who went to college are making double that. It's really a question of what works best for you, because you can be incredibly successful (or not) either way, but you just sound kinda whiny...a lot of jobs will straight up ignore you with no degree, so that right there is a big reason why you may as well go.

That, and it's a dope place to meet people and bang out easy girls, even if you're stuck with an acorn. Who can knock that?

• Like 1

I went to college, but my heart was never really in it. I learned some cool shit, I heard a lot of boring shit that I didn't retain at all, and left one class short of graduating. Now I'm kicking ass in the real world.

There are definite benefits to a college degree, but it's not the only way to succeed in this day and age.

The only bad thing about college is that it's a business. They are there to make money off of you. But other than that its a good thing, because its not only a place to learn, but to grow as a person. People in some countries don't have the opportunity to even go to high school let alone college. So, in that sense, we are lucky to have the opportunity, even though it comes at a hefty price.

I wonder if college was free to every citizen in the U.S., how many people would actually take advantage of it and how many would rather just go straight to work after high school?

part 2 of this thread:

im down, what should we call our tribe?

Haha i havent thought about a name. I just think society would work better if men and women remembered what it was like to live in tribes. It's like summer camp. Forever.

And that's definitely the case with private for-profit schools. Steve Colbert had a whole segment dedicated to that topic recently because Obama's cracking down on them for suckering america into debt. Obama gets some shit for being an intellectual politician (ie: a SUCCESSFUL politician) but he's done a lot to help me out, like get me healthcare and kick around private art schools.

And i hate that saying "college isn't for everbody." It should say "college is for Type A personalities that'll commit suicide when they realize nobody gives a shit about their life's so-called, 'achievements.'" Or more plainly, "college is for people who like to suffer in the rat race."

I dont like to suffer in the rat race. I like to suffer on the beach in the sun with a fruit smoothie and a speargun.

Youth is wasted on the young, etc.

Why is there such a societal pressure to go to college? Why is it my fucking hair stylist feels the need to self depricate because she "tried going back to college but couldn't make it." You're a hair stylist. People need hair stylists. If you like being a hair stylist who the fuck cares whether or not you can name all the presidents or identify types of clouds? You know, college shit.

im asking 12oz, what do you think this college bullshit is all about? Working long hours at a shitty job? For what? So you can afford to send your kids to college? Anyone else find that depressingly ironic?

I dunno. Ive been feeling like college isnt for me lately. Not because i don't do well in school. In the past i havent but right now im sitting in honors at the top of my class (they apparently send you fancy letters of recognition and shit), and still i'm totally disillusioned and wanting to drop out and move to hawaii. Im studying architecture and all i want to do is live by the beach in a hut and fish all day, grow some carrots and weed and just lax in the sun.

Part two of this thread: Does anybody want to start a tribe? I think we can afford the land for a reservation by selling our artwork as "tribal relics from a primitive culture." and make millions.

Just a thought.

Fuck college. Fuck degrees. Acquire huts and spears.

its ok brO, you can be a hair stylist if you want

• Like 2

A. Not everyone w/ a college degree works long hours or a shitty job, it depends what field you go into and what you want to do w/ yourself. Guess there's nothing wrong w/ sitting on a beach and fishing all day, if you can afford some beachfront property & shit. Other than that, college is frequently seen as a way to specialize your knowledge while also getting some general knowledge. If you're into books, I suppose you could just read a lot on a lot of topics.

B. I'm cool with a tribe as long as it's one of those topless big titty women tribe and we can use our 'peace pipe' without prosecution. Let me know when you get on that, and I'll be your vice-chief.

@ 5fingure And that is chump change compared to other U.S. universities. Good god.

I'm incremental bout shit. Ride out community college see whats good from there. And while I'm goin for a 4 year degree in some bullshit I'm also workin on marketable trade skill certs.

Balance your self out. Buy the 50-60K diplomas while at the same time getting skills you can actually make 50-60K with.

A. Not everyone w/ a college degree works long hours or a shitty job, it depends what field you go into and what you want to do w/ yourself. Guess there's nothing wrong w/ sitting on a beach and fishing all day, if you can afford some beachfront property & shit. Other than that, college is frequently seen as a way to specialize your knowledge while also getting some general knowledge. If you're into books, I suppose you could just read a lot on a lot of topics.

B. I'm cool with a tribe as long as it's one of those topless big titty women tribe and we can use our 'peace pipe' without prosecution. Let me know when you get on that, and I'll be your vice-chief.

See I see this kind of rhetoric being spewed out by every man woman and child in the western world. I spew it too, but it never resonates as my own voice. It resonates as some garbage i picked up somewhere between birth and today and it never really made sense to me, but I say it to people as advice anyway. My own personal experience tells me swimming, hiking, traveling, and a far more nomadic existence is what makes me happy. Man's lived in dwellings and settlements for less than 10,000 years. The rest of man's existance, over a hundred thousand years, has been spent walking the plain. I just dont think the settled life is very natural.

And living on a beach is actually cheap. THe more you travel the more people you see living in tents and huts, as if that's the norm and all these morons in apartments and houses are a strange minority.

i just got back from hawaii, and this november I'll be setting up a bit of residency. I havent quit school yet because being an architect could come in handy for my tribe. After all, someone's gotta build the huts.

Im talking about this crap for a couple reasons tho. For one, I just enjoy talking about life and the big picture. Im also talking about it because for some reason people go to college in hopes of making their lives happier, yet when you go to college you're surrounded by anti-social stressed out and depressed motherfuckers who worry wayyy too much about how things will turn out. Like me. Or you have people who just say "I cant decide on a major because I dont care about having a major. I dont even know why I'm here."

Then you go to hawaii and nobody gives a fuck. They're all happy, and social and nobody seems to suffer from anxiety, or at least nowhere NEAR the same level as the mainland. Everybody watches politics on TV and just says "that's the mainland's problem." On the mainland you watch news like it's all real and relevant to your life. THink about 911. That was the most horrible thing to happen to any american, and yet for 90% of americans it was just something they watched on TV. How fucking weird is that?

I'm just saying disregard professional skills, acquire life skills. Dont worry about money. Dont worry about jobs. Ive never been able to hold onto a job yet i've never been out of work. Mostly because I do shit nobody wants to do. Everything anyone does is valued in currency. Fucking dog walking's worth $50/hr. Same with lifeguarding people's kid's birthday parties in their own back yard. And washing cars.

Life's about food, love, lots of exercise, and meeting tons of people. That's something that can be done on any budget.

See I see this kind of rhetoric being spewed out by every man woman and child in the western world. I spew it too, but it never resonates as my own voice. It resonates as some garbage i picked up somewhere between birth and today and it never really made sense to me, but I say it to people as advice anyway. My own personal experience tells me swimming, hiking, traveling, and a far more nomadic existence is what makes me happy. Man's lived in dwellings and settlements for less than 10,000 years. The rest of man's existance, over a hundred thousand years, has been spent walking the plain. I just dont think the settled life is very natural.

And living on a beach is actually cheap. THe more you travel the more people you see living in tents and huts, as if that's the norm and all these morons in apartments and houses are a strange minority.

Your ideas are great, always been one to think this way. I would be happy to live in a small cabin or something away from a large community growing what I need to. Maybe not being so nomadic but I agree that is a good lifestyle. People have survived thousands of years that way and now that everything is about housing and supermarkets there are always fears for shortages of both...

Also on the college side of things (University here), I don't see why there is such pressure over it all. Here it's very much a choice. I couldn't have gone even if I wanted to because I failed more then you can fail, but there's other choices of small courses you can take up.

Whenever I see things about college in America, it seems like it's expected of you to finish school and go off to college, often in other states.

And then there's all that hazing shit and 'frat' stuff. That shit's bizarre..

The skills I learn will help me get the degree I want. The degree I want will help me get the career I want. The career I want will allow me to afford to live the way I want. Living that way will bring me happiness. Living comfortably with a wife, kids and in a nice area with enough extra income to be able to make some dreams come true is the epitome of happiness for me.

The classes I take dont feel like a waste of time. They give me the tools to make something Im already interested in into a profession. Even I dont make a career out of my degree field, I still have the knowledge.

• Like 1

Fuck man, I'm literally (hopefully) 9 months from finishing my PhD... I'm 33 and have been in college(s), in some shape or form, for almost 15 years. My parents pretty much said "We don't care what you do, but make sure you're happy"... I think if more people took that approach, we'd be golden. I'm happy learning and writing (PhD in English) and especially teaching... I'm not going to be rich but I'm going to do shit that keeps me from being miserable. College was just a way for me to figure that out. I flunked out of 2 schools before I got my shit together (i.e. realized that it is all what you make it). Now I get to teach classes on hobos, punk rock, and graffiti... for real.

"You have to go to college" isn't a rule, even if everyone says you're supposed to do it. Go to trade school, be a fucking plumber or carpenter. Or work for a while and then get trained and join a union. Or fuck it all and go drop off the grid. Even with this fucking degree I'm still going to want to move to the middle of nowhere and have a farm... It's just about manning up and doing shit. Most people are miserable because they're full of half-ass "plans"... Just figure out what makes you happy and fucking DO IT... and don't forget that figuring out what doesn't work is just as important.

/noneedtoreadthatunlessyouwant

Your ideas are great, always been one to think this way. I would be happy to live in a small cabin or something away from a large community growing what I need to. Maybe not being so nomadic but I agree that is a good lifestyle. People have survived thousands of years that way and now that everything is about housing and supermarkets there are always fears for shortages of both...

Also on the college side of things (University here), I don't see why there is such pressure over it all. Here it's very much a choice. I couldn't have gone even if I wanted to because I failed more then you can fail, but there's other choices of small courses you can take up.

Whenever I see things about college in America, it seems like it's expected of you to finish school and go off to college, often in other states.

And then there's all that hazing shit and 'frat' stuff. That shit's bizarre..

Yeah in america we do things a little differently. Unlike in Europe where you can be poor and wise and rich in other things, in america if you dont have lots of money you're stupid, lazy and unhappy. So basically if you dont have a retardedly high-paying job, you wont be happy, so you HAVE go to college. THere's no two ways about it.... in America.

Prime example:

The skills I learn will help me get the degree I want. The degree I want will help me get the career I want. The career I want will allow me to afford to live the way I want. Living that way will bring me happiness. Living comfortably with a wife, kids and in a nice area with enough extra income to be able to make some dreams come true is the epitome of happiness for me.

The classes I take dont feel like a waste of time. They give me the tools to make something Im already interested in into a profession. Even I dont make a career out of my degree field, I still have the knowledge.

THe older you get the more you realize this isnt how it works. You graduate college and you realize you're four years behind the people who didn't go. You've also lost all your life skills like how to be social and how to have fun because all you've focused on are those stupid fucking skills that were SUPPOSED to get you the job you always wanted. Never works out that way. Chances are you're going to graduate and get a job you've never heard of for a company you didnt know existed....IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Most people get out of college and dont even find work. Sometimes it's because there's no jobs, other times they wont hire you because you're overqualified. You also have issues with stress, anxiety, depression, anger and regret because you just wasted all your money and youth on something really fucking stupid. It's ok tho, because there's a whole community of college grads out there that have the exact same problems, so there's something for everybody to bond over.

As far as the wife, kids, and nice neighborhood. If that's whats going to make you happy, why are you waiting to get done with college? Sounds like a huge waste of time.