Massive North Atlantic Garbage Patch Mapped

Soup

VBS made a series almost two years ago about their journey into the South Pacific in search of what was called "plastic island," A mythical patch of plastic waste said to have accumulated in the pacific ocean. Their discovery of it truly existing (and capturing it on video) horrified bloggers and made it into a talk on TED, but not much else. Not a single major media outlet ran any story while blogs were buzzing about it almost two years ago.

A couple days ago this all changed when thousands of scientists at the Sea Education Association (SEA) pieced together 22 years of data about the ocean’s surface to create “the most accurate picture yet of any pelagic plastic patch on earth.” SEA’s map reveals the 22 year evolution of another, fundamentally identical patch in the Atlantic. The process used to track and understand the Atlantic patch mirrors the process scientists must employ to parse its Pacific counterpart.

Read the rest at: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/atlantic-plastic/#ixzz0x6j6QkfH

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
why dont some millionaire go out there with boats, scoop it up and sell it to plastic bottle making companies? Seems like a simple recycling situation. Less need to make MORE plastic, just use the shit already out there. And clean it up at the same time.

i'm guessing you didn't read, or watch the video in the two links soup posted.

the half of the plastic is non biodegradable, and can't be recycled, i'm pretty sure they teach you that in school.

shit is SCUST, another reason why i stay away from the ocean, and all ocean life.

(dont quote this, because i live in new england and get enough people saying "WTF you dont eat seafood? on a daily basis during the summer, it's just the way i've been since i was a young one, i dont eat seafood, or hot dogs, balogna, and tons of other foods. SO WHAT. :lol:)

i wonder if species down down down, like the crazy see-through fish, and the dinosaurs that still lurk the depths are ingesting any of the sinking plastic?