digg.com bury brigade "patriots" uncovered

Zig

http://blogs.alternet.org/oleoleolson/2010/08/05/massive-censorship-of-digg-uncovered/

I found this article interesting, mostly due to this paragraph:

There are a few differences of opinion within DP, although for the most part, they are extremely similar in perspective. They hate Obama. They hate progressives. They hate the UN, diplomacy, and peace/disarmament efforts. They hate reforms of health care, Wall St., and immigration. They hate science, in fact many are creationists, and some even blog about it. They hate the secular nature of our nation. They hate environmental protection, requiring polluters to be responsible for their own cleanup, and especially hate climate efforts. They hate unions and any attempt to level the playing field to give all Americans economic opportunities. They hate the government, except the military-industrial complex. They hate abortion rights. They hate public schools and really hate higher education. They hate anyone in the media except far right personalities like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Michelle Malkin. They hate anyone who doesn’t think Obama is a secret islamist and/or marxist who was born in Kenya. They just love to hate.

I'm very aware of the bury brigades, these guys aren't the only ones doing this. There was a pro-Israel bury brigade uncovered as well that was also operating on digg.com and various other social networks. The issue I take with this article, and the individuals involved in these sort of censorship groups are the stances they are taking on issues, which deeply concerns me because these stances are widely accepted by a major percentage of U.S citizens. These are also the stances that are loosely associated with movements like the Tea Party, and what is known as the "right-wing" of America.

The reason it bothers me is because I don't consider myself aligned with these sort of individuals, yet I do have a slight understanding as to the stances they are taking politically. For example, "They hate the UN, diplomacy, peace/disarmament efforts... reforms of health care, Wall St." The article makes it seem as if anyone dissenting from these political issues, such as criticizing the UN, or Obama's health care reform legislation, is automatically lumped in with this entire crowd of unattractive, misled, bigots and losers. It continues with, "they hate unions, hate government, hate abortion rights, hate public schools" and then goes on to tie all of these people together with more unattractive and controversial media figures like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc. (I'm surprised they didn't mention Alex Jones). It's unfair to any actual legitimate discussion or debate as to whether or not individuals can have intelligent points to make when dissenting from these particular issues. For example, Ron Paul has made many well-rounded and precise arguments as to why things such as Unions, Public Schools, and Abortion clinics are flawed, yet it is so easy to demonize someone taking that stance by simply saying they are "against" something many people have come to know as being beneficial and helpful to society, such as public schools.

I believe it's unfair to U.S citizens who consider themselves independent from conservatives, liberals, and progressives in this country that all attempt to frame the debate and force people to take sides. It's interesting to see just how easily the media, and media figures can influence and literally divide U.S citizens into the "left" and the "right" simply by having talking heads like Glenn Beck, etc. Unfortunately, many fall victim to this stupid game of divide and conquer by playing into it and forming these hate groups that attempt to censor each others opinions in an endless cycle of "I'm right, you're wrong." while nothing gets solved. It's gotten so bad in Washington, to the point that legislation is simply being put on stand still because there is no cooperation between parties. This is literally the Divided States of America. Whenever there is cooperation and bipartisan legislation that passes, it usually is in the form of some federal draconian law that is unconstitutional and generally serving the interests of globalists, and the super elite of this country and this world.

I'm just wondering your thoughts...

discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Funnily enough, some of the people in the bury brigade (the repub side of it, there's a dem side that came first) are on my digg friends list. I don't use digg anymore because it's a bunch of whiny little bitches.

Also, I did not participate in any "bury brigade" activities. Too childish.

How so? If someone gets the gasface here it doesn't matter whether what they're bringing to the table is relevant or important, the average 12 oz member will more likely than not simply dismiss it out of hand.

And there is a lot of important stuff shared here, it's not all tits and self-aggrandizment. I would probably give what gets posted here that has to do with current events as much credence as what's posted on Digg.

How so? If someone gets the gasface here it doesn't matter whether what they're bringing to the table is relevant or important, the average 12 oz member will more likely than not simply dismiss it out of hand.

And there is a lot of important stuff shared here, it's not all tits and self-aggrandizment. I would probably give what gets posted here that has to do with current events as much credence as what's posted on Digg.

Yes, however 12oz isn't a major outlet for information. Although I do believe this forum does get a lot of traffic forgive me for saying it is no where near as popular as Digg, not to mention this forum's main subject is vandalism, not political or news discussion.

It is just something, some writers (not all of us posting here are, or used to be) find interesting. I do agree that is the same basic system.