How to fire a real estate agent...

dwel

So my wife and I are trying to buy a house, and somehow acquired an agent we didnt want. Long story short, this agent is somewhat of a family friend and is roughly 120 years old. I had called her to get references for lenders and such, and I believe that she just assumed that she would be our agent. Now we have 2 other agents that we wanted to work with, but somehow said older agent slipped in. How would you guys go about telling a Realtor that you no longer want to work with them? I dont want to just come out and say that we want to go in another direction because she is a family friend and dont want to hurt her feelings and because she is a sweet old lady, however, I want to tell her sooner than later because I dont want to waste her time as well as ours. Any suggestions?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Ginger Bread Man

the best way is being upfront.

there is no way to avoid having feelings hurt.

the longer you want the more of her time you are wasting.

she might even come to appreciate the fact that you are more business than family oriented.

quit being a sucka

seems weird in America, I don't understand how it works there, over here you find a house you like, make an offer and pretty much that is it (after speaking to solicitors and surveyors, mortgage lender etc)

Estate agents are just smarmy cunts that the vast majority of the populace hate.

I would just say I don't require your services, friend or no friend, I would say I have had a better service offered elsewhere, at least then they know they need to step up their game.

tell her that you will not require any assistance or advice.

but thank her for the offer and any help all ready given.

but be firm and don't drag out the conversation.

^ This in an email ^

We got rid of our real estate agent after she did a few questionable things. We still see her around town, but it's all good. Go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right, there's probably something wrong.

just tell her you had a prior written agreement to be represented by another agent and that you just needed that one piece of advice. it is indeed somewhat customary to have a contractual relationship with a certain real estate agent. you can say the agent you already contracted was out of town and unavailable so you hit her up with the question, but you dont want to waste her time since you are already bound contractually.

What questionable things? You cant say that and then not tell us what she did.

My friend had to do this, eventually he ended up just going with someone else.

Basically it felt like she just wanted to make a quick sale, which is fair enough, since that's how she makes a living, but being first time home buyers we felt like we needed a little time to think things over and it felt like we were being pressured to make a fast decision.

She showed us one place which was everything we wanted and more. Then we found out that there were 2 other places (exactly the same) but listed for less in the same complex. She didn't bother telling us about them since they weren't her listings (double commission for her).

She also put an ad in the paper for the place we liked, at a reduced price and when I called and asked her if this was the new listing price, she said "no" that it must have been a misprint.

When we told her we couldn't go above our budget (we wanted to avoid getting charged the transfer taxes as first time home buyers) she said we could do an under the table cash deal for the difference, which is illegal here.

Finally we decided to "break up" with her and make an offer on the place using a new agent.

She continued to contact us, which she is not supposed to do, trying to get us back.

In the end she ended up taking a significant commission cut to make the sale to us. And our new super nice agent (the kind that reminds you of your mum) made a quick sale representing us. We got the place we wanted, for the price we wanted and moved into our new pad a month later.

We see our original agent once in a while around town and just smile and nod and say "hello", but think to ourselves "screw you" for trying to screw us!

Sorry for the long winded waste of time story, but you asked.

• 4 weeks later...