Wikileaks "Kabul War Diary"

WorldBench

Idk who all has read this, or seen it, but holy shit! I know how it was done, and being in the military and having delt with these reports at one time I know you could get all this easily. But how does the government allow this to be posted up?

"...reports come from US Army with the exception most Special Forces activities."

first 10 i opened were on CJSOTF ODA operations.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Idk who all has read this, or seen it, but holy shit! I know how it was done, and being in the military and having delt with these reports at one time I know you could get all this easily. But how does the government allow this to be posted up?

"...reports come from US Army with the exception most Special Forces activities."

first 10 i opened were on CJSOTF ODA operations.

They don't have any control over it now. Wikileaks has backup servers everywhere, if

CyberCommand (or Vigilant Guard) took one down, it wouldn't matter.

I'm curious about "insurance".

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010

There is nothing that has been published that wasn't already well known.

The smaller details of ops don't offer any tactical knowledge that jeapardises on going operations, sources and methods of information collection. The USG worked with Wikileaks, NYT, Guardian and (can't remember the third news agency) to vet material that the USG saw as such that would cause greater risk to lives in the field.

The idea is that Manning got it all because he had SCI access. If that be true, that he was able to access this information, copy it and remove it without being detected, a 22 year old PFC, then that is a problem. If he wasn't, then where did it come from, who was helping Manning?

There was nothing TS/SCI released and I would suggest that which is marked secret is hardly even that. I mean shit, Gul has links to the Taliban? Well no shit, he fucking created them. Haqqani is doing cross border ops in to Astan? No shit, it's been in the newspapers for two years. The US has been dropping hellfires in N. Waz for how long now?

And as for your actual question, A) everybody already knows, B.) Look at what David Cameron said a few days ago. Watch for exit strategy to shift.

Who the fuck is Liz Chenney? Assume she is connected to Dick somehow.

Personally I don't have an opinion on the leaks but saying Wikileaks is aiding and abetting AQ is typical of the hysteria I would expect to hear out of the mainstream uninformed opinionists.

Dick's dumb bitch daughter.

Really hope im not breaking any opsec

"mainstream uninformed opinionists."

"There is nothing that has been published that wasn't already well known."

hahaha, you don't even know do you? these things are classified SECRET for a reason, there's a reason you have to go through a thorough 6 month fbi/govt investigation to even gain the lowest access to these reports.

I guess, Call Signs, Frequencies, AO's, Combat Out Posts, JSS's, FOB's weaknesses were known to EVERYONE...

Not to start anything Christo-F but you're pretty ignorant

Maybe you don't know what SITREPs are used for. 1 Main use I saw downrange was Trend Climate Graphs. Used for many things, 1) To find trends of the insurgents and possibly ambush, capture, etc. them

lets say your AO is Karbala. you're an insurgent. you get all these reports on IDF SAF Ambush etc. attacks. You compile the data so you can find out;

How long CAS and MEDEVACs and CASEVACs take

How long QRF takes to respond

What the TTP's and SOP's of that TF, CTF, JTF, Unit, Etc are

Sure all this could be obtained by Recon, but last i checked, most insurgents aren't trained in LRRP's and LRRS's and it's easier to get a detailed compilation through the use of a computer then wasting assets sitting around after/during attacks recording information

With this information you can setup complex ambushes, where you can inflict more damage then you could without the reports

Ontop of that, these have Secret information such as Callsigns, Frequencies, WARNO's, FRAGO's and OPORDERS, Descriptive plans on how operations are going to go down

If anyone says this information isn't sensitive they're ignorant and have no clue of military operations

Examples of Reports:

ONCEPT OF THE OPERATION:

PHASE I: INFIL NEAR SIMULTANEOUS AIR ASSAULT

FREQ: SAT xxxx xxxx xxxx (APPROX 30 MIN BY AIR)

EXTERNAL ASSETS:

INDIRECT:

FB BLESSING 2 X 155MM ARTY

FREQ: xxxx TACSAT: Ch xxxxC/S xxxxx

FOB ASADABAD: 155MM ARTY

FREQ: xxxx TACSAT: Ch xxxx C/S xxxxx

ISR (PREDATOR)

1 X AC-130

3 X CH-47

6 X UH-60

3 X AH-64

TASK ORGANIZATION: 16 X ANP, 41 X CDO; 41 X USSF; 3 X THT, 2 X JTAC, 2 x DOG TM, 13 X TERP; 3X SOT-A, 2 X CRD, 1 X SOURCE. TOTAL: 124 PAX

all those acronyms are units and personnel

----------------------------------

how is this imperative to the us public?

TF xxxxx were unable to recover one of the fallen Soldiers. if your son died on XXXX date at XXX time and you thought xyz happened and read this report and come to find out his body was left in a combat zone after Coalition forces exfil'd, and they had to regroup to go get it, how would that make you feel? Things are hidden for a reason. If the army wanted you to know about this shit, I'm sure they'd publish it in a FM or TM for everyone

And since when does a NEWS agency know anything about what is secret and what isn't? Last I checked the media has been exploiting military loopholes and trying to do this shit for years. that's why the NYT has the quote about the FOIA. if this shit was so useless, why wouldn't the declassify it and make it FOUO or even less like FOIA classifications

These reports have DETAILED OPERATION information, from how it will be done, who's, what's going, assets, what will be used, you make a trend climate off these and voila you're better understanding our TTP's and SOP's

Which is the icing ontop of all the other shit people post

------------------------------

1050: STORM 26 (STORM TOC) RECEIVED 9-LINE MEDEVAC, DUSTOFF IS NOTIFIED

1102: STORM 26 RECEIVED AUTHORIZATION TO LAUNCH

1107: DO 11 AND SE 07 WERE WHEELS UP FROM KAF

1121: DO 11 AND SE 07 ARRIVED SPIN BULDAK

1130: DO 11 AND SE 07 DEPARTED SPIN BULDAK FOR GARANG

1200: DO 11 AND SE 07 ARRIVED AT GARANG

1203: DO 11 AND SE 07 WERE EN ROUTE TO KAF FROM GARANG

1225: SE 07 CALLED MISSILE LAUNCH (NOTIFIED STORM 26)

1234: SALT REPORT WAS SENT TO GRIFFIN

1236: DO 11 AND SE 07 WERE WHEELS DOWN KAF

it's okay, we'll just do the recon for them...

----------------------

CREW MEMBERS:

DUST OFF 11 STRIKE ********

PC: ******, KASSEL PC: ********, KEEFE

PI: ******, MARY PI: *******, MICHAEL

CE: ******, DAVID CE: ********, JOSEPH (LEFT)

MO: *******, NACY CE: **********, DAVID (RIGHT)

that's not really that important is it christo? people like you can find any reason to justify this.

if you were a pilot on one of these missions, and you had contact with insurgents and it had specific date time group and location

would you want your name and info posted

STRIKE ***** STRIKE *************

PC: CW3 *********, THOMAS PC: CPT ******, SCOTT

PI: 1LT *******, STEPHAN PI: 1LT *********, SEAN

----------------------------------------

Tawakh valley

Meet with our POC ***** ****** cell # 079 *** **** for the Tawakh valley

these reports even tell you the counter measures and operating procedures for when insurgents try to get on fobs and through security, it tells you what equipment we use, what booby traps we have set up, etc.

I've not said that the public needs to know any of this. I have not said that the publishing of names is a good thing. I have said that the USG worked with the news agencies vetting what would be released and the docs that they wanted kept aside have been kept aside. However:

The conflict is 9 years on, the enemy is supported by foreign elements, the ANA/ANP are deeply infiltrated by the the enemy. The enemy already knows call-signs, knows reaction times, knows defensive countermeasures from experience/obs, knows the basic concept of joint services operations and is conducting an insurgency campaign, not conventional. That means they are less interested in your names and more interested in the names of their own people who have contact with the ISAF. I say again, horrible and needless to have names published but not at all as disastrous as you are making out.

As for the issue of joint services operations, they have been conducted in this theatre and Iraq for almost a decade now, this information is not at all new to the enemy. The enemy is well aware of SOPs and have been conducting complex (L and T) ambushes on US troops for a number of years. The information posted would obviously have better been held back, no argument there. However there is nothing that I have seen (haven't read all of them) that discusses up coming ops or discusses tactics and measures that haven't been in place for significant periods of time and previously experienced by the enemy many times over or that is over the level of Secret. I am aware of the security that surrounds this level of classification, I am also aware of the magnitude of this information that is generated daily on a global basis and I am also aware of the magnitude and range of people that have access to this level of information.

There is very little in there that is not already known by the enemy or that will increase their capabilities in any noticeable way. I believe that in 6-12 months time this will be clearly evident.

The two main (political) points are that Gul was coordinating with the ISI and Taliban and that the Haqqani network was getting refuge in Pakistan whilst doing cross border raids in to Afghanistan.

These two allegations have been in the papers for at least 2 years, minimum.

\. The enemy already knows call-signs, knows reaction times, knows defensive countermeasures from experience/obs, knows the basic concept of joint services operations and is conducting an insurgency campaign, not conventional.

To this comment, every time a new unit comes into the AO they change all SOP's and OP's, that's why they update and re-do/put out new FRAGO's. They don't know the counter measures because they're always changing. they know the basic concept, but like I said, our training is always evolving, in the 6 years i've been in the army is nothing like when i first was a private.

That means they are less interested in your names and more interested in the names of their own people who have contact with the ISAF. I say again, horrible and needless to have names published but not at all as disastrous as you are making out.

They do care about names, that's why the put bounties on Soldeirs. Ontop of that, we continually get briefings on keeping ourselves lo-key due to kidnappings in foreign countries and in america.

As for the issue of joint services operations, they have been conducted in this theatre and Iraq for almost a decade now, this information is not at all new to the enemy.

Refer to my first comment, Operations are continually changing, not every operation is the same, it changes from division level, all the way down to squad and fire team elements, no 2 units are the same in how they conduct operations

The long term effects of this information will be damaging to the US Armed Forces operating in current operations and future operations. Mark my words. For countries not familiar with our tactics and procedures, they got an inside glimpse to this. I.e N. Korea, Pakistan, Iran, etc.

Lets just say if I was a Al Qaeda Insurgent, and an apache had killed 3 of my homeboys on 8/3/2010 at 0800 at the intersection of Harbala Road and Mal Haj, and 3, 6, 9 months later they release the information that CW3 Smith and CW2 Johnson were the ones who had fired the Hellfire missiles at my homeboys trucks, I'd be out for vengeance. It's not hard for some insurgent who's not blacklisted or well know to fly to America on a student visa and find out where they live and kill them.

I'm not saying that this shit is as devastating as leaking Nuclear Missle plans or how to gain access to SIPR via wireless comms, but this shit is still damaging, and even more to the morale of soldiers in theater

When an IED blows up a truck, and the firefight is too intense, the convoy pushes through out of the kill zone and waits for CAS, the insurgets loot the damaged truck, i can guarantee some insurgents have SINCGAR's (military radios) [or even from the Afghan/Russia war we may have supplied them, or off the internet/allied forces] and use the frequencies to listen in.

SINCGAR frequencies are highly classified, and it's also been reported on Old SINCGAR's that people have hacked in and listened to them, now i think they run on a 3g freq and it's alot harder.

Like I said, it may not have been the most potent information leaked, but it is def. devastating

"Of course the president is going to say that these reports don't contain anything we don't already know. It's called damage control."

That's the truth, if they said this information was super sensitive, it wouldn't be going the way it is right?\

"The White House says the release of 91,000 secret military documents is a breach of federal law and a potential threat to U.S. military personnel." - WashingtonPost

"Gibbs condemned the leak of the documents, calling their publication "a concerning development in operational security" that "poses a very real and potential threat to those that are working hard every day to keep us safe." - WashingtonPost

"Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman said officials are conducting a review of the documents "to try to determine the potential damage to lives of our service members and our coalition partners"

"accusing the website of putting the lives of US, UK and coalition troops in danger and threatening America's national security of the US," according to the Guardian,

Ironically people want to say these reports are written by Afghan Intelligence who dislike the ISI, but they're actually written by S2 Intel Analysts and MICO's/TICO's

that's all i have to say right now

I will respond to the above a little later on today when time is availbale. Just wanted to get this up as there is conflicting claims about the USG working with the news agencies in vetting the info published. May indicate misinformation from the media (shocking, I know) or conflicting agendas between govt depts. Notice that this is the Pent saying this, not State, the WH or any other number of interested parties.

Pentagon: WikiLeaks did not contact us

04 Aug 2010 00:11:15 GMT

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03190089.htm

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Tuesday it had not been contacted by WikiLeaks, despite claims that the whistle-blowing website sought its help reviewing thousands of classified Afghan war documents ahead of their release.

U.S. officials have appealed to WikiLeaks not to post any additional documents and accused the group of endangering lives of Afghan contacts named in its initial release of tens of thousands of classified U.S. military reports last month.

A WikiLeaks spokesman said on Tuesday he wanted the Defense Department's help reviewing 15,000 additional U.S. documents ahead of their potential release, according to The Daily Beast news website.

Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said WikiLeaks had not contacted the Defense Department. He declined to speculate on what might happen if they did request assistance.

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last week that the group may be responsible for the deaths of U.S. troops and Afghan contacts exposed by the leak, one of the largest security breaches in U.S. military history.

"It is very harsh to hear that," Daniel Schmitt, a WikiLeaks spokesman in Germany, was quoted telling The Daily Beast. "We're not aware of any tragedies that have happened."

(Reporting by Phil Stewa

Apparently the WH was involved with the news agencies concerning what was published. This is the Pent. saying that they weren't approached contrary to what WL is apparently saying. As for Assange being wanted the last I heard was that the Pent. says that he is not. However if I remember correctly he can be held as a witness to assist investigations without being charged.

\. The enemy already knows call-signs, knows reaction times, knows defensive countermeasures from experience/obs, knows the basic concept of joint services operations and is conducting an insurgency campaign, not conventional.

To this comment, every time a new unit comes into the AO they change all SOP's and OP's, that's why they update and re-do/put out new FRAGO's. They don't know the counter measures because they're always changing. they know the basic concept, but like I said, our training is always evolving, in the 6 years i've been in the army is nothing like when i first was a private.

So if they change on a regular basis the value of releasing old information even is further diminished. The ISI and MOIS have been undermining NATO/ISAF since day one, this kind of info is more than likely going to be an element in that.

That means they are less interested in your names and more interested in the names of their own people who have contact with the ISAF. I say again, horrible and needless to have names published but not at all as disastrous as you are making out.

They do care about names, that's why the put bounties on Soldeirs. Ontop of that, we continually get briefings on keeping ourselves lo-key due to kidnappings in foreign countries and in america

It's definitely an issue and completely undesirable, however Taliban operations don't extend outside of the sub-continent other than krammers like the retard Shahzad who are walk ins. Bounties are released but rarely acted on as they are more an element of propaganda operations than anything else. The kidnappings that have taken place up to this point are all targets of opportunity. Keeping a low profile is always desirable and any kind of exposure such as this raises threat levels and increases opportunities for the enemy. That is definitely undeniable. But again, the biggest issue here is the release of identities of those who are working with the coalition forces on the ground. For COIN ops to fail the enemy only has to deny success. The US doesn't have to be defeated in Af to lose the game, they just have to be denied achieving their goals. One method of doing that is by discouraging the local population from working with or supporting the foreign forces. If you don't have local cooperation or acceptance the mission will never succeed, that is the goal of the enemy.

As for the issue of joint services operations, they have been conducted in this theatre and Iraq for almost a decade now, this information is not at all new to the enemy.

Refer to my first comment, Operations are continually changing, not every operation is the same, it changes from division level, all the way down to squad and fire team elements, no 2 units are the same in how they conduct operations

As said above, that fact then diminishes the value of the published information. That's not to say that it has no value to the enemy, I just believe that it is minimal, especially when fighting an unconventional enemy.

The long term effects of this information will be damaging to the US Armed Forces operating in current operations and future operations. Mark my words. For countries not familiar with our tactics and procedures, they got an inside glimpse to this. I.e N. Korea, Pakistan, Iran, etc.

Yep, agree that there is definitely an element of damage with tac details being released. However a lot of what is being used here will be altered if/when US goes up against other conventional forces simply because they are conventional forces. Secondly US military doctrine is really not a very secretive concept especially when the US works with and trains so many other militaries around the world.

What is more damaging and as I have mentioned above is not the actual information contained in what has been so far published but that it was published. Potential enemies such as DPRK, Iran, Israel, Venezuela and so on will be paying more attention to how the information got out. They will notice that there are 22 year old PFCs with TS/SCI access, they will notice that there is a possibility that ideological/humanitarian beliefs of younger US soldiers (and possibly older when you take the FT. Hood shootings in to account) create an intelligence opportunity. They will notice that there are elements inside the US that are willing to commit what amounts to treason for reasons not necessarily linked to the conflict, etc. etc. etc. That is where the real damage has been done and there will be increased efforts in intelligence planning by the enemy more so than military planning. That's not to say that they won't pay attention to the tac side seen here just that there will be more gains to be made when looked at from an intelligence perspective.

Lets just say if I was a Al Qaeda Insurgent, and an apache had killed 3 of my homeboys on 8/3/2010 at 0800 at the intersection of Harbala Road and Mal Haj, and 3, 6, 9 months later they release the information that CW3 Smith and CW2 Johnson were the ones who had fired the Hellfire missiles at my homeboys trucks, I'd be out for vengeance. It's not hard for some insurgent who's not blacklisted or well know to fly to America on a student visa and find out where they live and kill them.

I understand what you are saying but the chances of this happening are really very slim. And hey, there's some extra motivation for you and your mates to leave none of these cunts standing before you leave country, let's look at the positives here!!

I'm not saying that this shit is as devastating as leaking Nuclear Missle plans or how to gain access to SIPR via wireless comms, but this shit is still damaging, and even more to the morale of soldiers in theater

Like I said, it may not have been the most potent information leaked, but it is def. devastating

Yeah, no argument there, mate.

"Of course the president is going to say that these reports don't contain anything we don't already know. It's called damage control."

That's the truth, if they said this information was super sensitive, it wouldn't be going the way it is right?\

"The White House says the release of 91,000 secret military documents is a breach of federal law and a potential threat to U.S. military personnel." - WashingtonPost

"Gibbs condemned the leak of the documents, calling their publication "a concerning development in operational security" that "poses a very real and potential threat to those that are working hard every day to keep us safe." - WashingtonPost

"Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman said officials are conducting a review of the documents "to try to determine the potential damage to lives of our service members and our coalition partners"

"accusing the website of putting the lives of US, UK and coalition troops in danger and threatening America's national security of the US," according to the Guardian,

Ironically people want to say these reports are written by Afghan Intelligence who dislike the ISI, but they're actually written by S2 Intel Analysts and MICO's/TICO's

I'm still not 100% convinced that these leaks don't have WH/State's dirty prints on them somewhere down the line. I can see why the DoD would be pissed. There has been a long line of dissatisfaction between State and Pent. since day 1 in Afghanistan.

I'm still not 100% convinced that these leaks don't have WH/State's dirty prints on them somewhere down the line. I can see why the DoD would be pissed. There has been a long line of dissatisfaction between State and Pent. since day 1 in Afghanistan.

This is what I think.

Have you been reading the articles I have posted about Lamo and that organization he's

involved with?

Either way, Lamo is a dirty rat bastard.

This is what I think.

Have you been reading the articles I have posted about Lamo and that organization he's

involved with?

Either way, Lamo is a dirty rat bastard.

No I haven't but I'm aware of who and what Vigilant is.

The argument for it being a leak is to put pressure on Pakistan to back off from supporting the Haqqani network and working against the govt in Kabul and to also out the Gul-ISI/taliban nexus. The other part that may be added to this is to reassure India that the US isn't going to leave and just hand Af to elements that are essentially a similar or worse threat to Indian security than LeT.

The argument against it is the volume of what has been leaked and extraneous information that came along with it (pointing towards what Worldbench has laid out) for what two isolated leaks could have done just as well. Secondly, this is the only leak that I can name where it has seemingly come from what would be a major fault in the US intelligence network (PFC Manning). That much clouds the issue.

Yeah sure, I'll bet for the sake of betting. Loser gets negged by the winner.

In reality though I have no opinion as to the value of the withheld material. My friends were not at all impressed with the value of what has already surfaced and that is what is leading them to suggest that the rest has no value and Assange is now capitalising on the exposure for personal gain. They have, however suggested that Assange 's fears for his freedom are well founded.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's hillarious, US soldiers not allowed to read it.

However as previously discussed, the taliban aren't going to get fuck all out of it. Even the sources and methods angle is useless being that none of the intelligence gathered was from sources or covert methods, they were all obs from patrols, sentries and other overt means.