Schizophrenia

Soup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my aunt was schizophrenic and from what i understand, the medicine they give schizophrenics tends to make it worse, so they don't want to take them. my dad lived with her along with another sister and their mom in kiev. they lived in this project housing complex which had something like 13 floors. she jumped of the balcony and killed herself because of the voices. my girlfriend's mom is also a schizophrenic. my girl told me that when she was young, her mom would lock herself and her in a room, pitch black, and talk gibberish for hours. she refused to take her med's because the voices were telling her not to. its interesting, but extremely sad and scary. i can't imagine having to take care of someone who is a severe schizophrenic during one of their "episodes".

It's always fun to read these threads and see other people's ideas of what mental illness is. Symbols- there's no Paranoid Schizophrenia w/ psychotic features, if you have schizophrenia then you already have some form of psychosis present.

There's all sorts of psychosis BTW, so being psychotic does not necessarily = schizophrenia. Psychosis can be drug induced, from a depressive or manic episode, from organic impairment, part of a personality disorder, etc.

As far as the original subject, there was some video or movie or whatever many years ago that was a collection of many images shown at a speed basically too fast to process that supposedly induced a psychotic state by watching it. It was made for some experiment, not sure if you could find the reference now.

There's an old man in my neighborhood named Chris who is a schizo. All the kids know him in the area so they use him to buy beer and to hang out at his house, party, or whatever. Many of the times I've been around him, he talks to someone named gary in his head who he says is his dad and "Gary" is trying to "fuck him in the ass" as he put it. He also has a woman in his head and he tells us that he wants to take a knife to his brain and cut her out of his skull.

However, this dude has had a rough life, he did acid and speed every other day for a year and a half, that definitely could have added fuel to his fire, but I think he's always been like this, it just keeps getting worse. I mean fuck the dude hates drinking but he slams a 30 pack to himself every day in 2 hours to make him pass out cold so he doesn't have to hear voices for 4-5 hours until he wakes back up. I also think he has multiple personalities, when he's passed out he talks in a scottish accent which is weird, and he keeps repeating,"Aye! You Fucking Cocksucker!!!!" I think schizophrenia has a "schedule" too. I've noticed that he changes multiple times throughout the day at specific times. He says at 12:00 he won't know where he is and that at 12:07 the air is going to turn off and that the sky will close in on the ground.

The dude is a trip, I'll try to film him and show you guys what he's all about.

Mass-hive props will be dealt no doubt.

do the voices also really tell the people NOT to take their meds?

how do physicians get their patients to take them then?

i can't imagine all schizophrenic patients being sent to a psych ward.

Not all voices tell them not to take their meds. You'd be surprised that in the clinical area, a lot of them dont even know what the med exactly does to them. Its because theyve been diagnosed with this condition for years and even decades and it just becomes routine to them. If patienrs refuse, and are in a psych ward they get a z track injection in the ass.

thats an interesting comment about the weed Calig. I read somewhere that schizophrenics naturally have higher levels of dopamine. Same with Tourette's and ADHD. Marijuana is known to boost levels of dopamine, so it makes sense.

Thats true. Also i think 98% of a healthy population can smoke weed without expressing psychotic features. The other 2% will smoke weed, and present with psychotic features but have never actually been diagnosed with schzophrenia in their life.

my aunt was schizophrenic and from what i understand, the medicine they give schizophrenics tends to make it worse, so they don't want to take them .

It surpressed the voices and hallucinations. However, a major side effect of psychotic drugs is sedation which is why a lot of them feel as it makes them worse. Just like the meds for depression. The side effects of this, would actually make a normal healthy person depressed.

It's always fun to read these threads and see other people's ideas of what mental illness is. Symbols- there's no Paranoid Schizophrenia w/ psychotic features, if you have schizophrenia then you already have some form of psychosis present.

What do you mean theres no paranoid schizophrenia with psychotic features? Having a psychotic feature means you have a feature that is not in touch with reality hence why someone with psychosis can present with hallucinations or delusions regarding themselves. They can have psychotic features with paranoia. For example, a person with paranoid schizophrenia will think their neighbour is spying on them (hallucination). The person will then have a delusion that he/she is a significant person or someone with great importance. The person will then be paranoid that the neighbour will kill them or harm them and eventually be paranoid about a lot of people in his/her life. T

^ Yeah, I see that happen a lot. Big difference between the 2 for a doc to not get it right and probably a bit unnerving for the person hearing it.

Interesting you say that, because sometimes its actually hard to distinguish the two and sometimes its easy. The thing is, with schizophrenia the person is not intouch with reality at all. But with someone who has bi polar disease they are. And only present with psychotic features when they are going through a manic episode or a "high" which can last about a week. Someone with schizophrenia however will never be intouch with reality unless they take their meds.

Also, someone who may have bi polar, could actually be mistaken with someone who has depression as if they have their manic episodes, they CAN express depression like symptoms. The way to distinguish the differences between all mental illness is to take a look at their history, past and present symptoms, chemical imbalances in the brain and also an EEG which pretty much looks at brain activity.

What do you mean theres no paranoid schizophrenia with psychotic features? Having a psychotic feature means you have a feature that is not in touch with reality hence why someone with psychosis can present with hallucinations or delusions regarding themselves. They can have psychotic features with paranoia. For example, a person with paranoid schizophrenia will think their neighbour is spying on them (hallucination). The person will then have a delusion that he/she is a significant person or someone with great importance. The person will then be paranoid that the neighbour will kill them or harm them and eventually be paranoid about a lot of people in his/her life. T

I will kindly suggest you do not know what you are talking about. For instance, the example you give above is not a hallucination, nor would it lead to to them being delusional that they are important. If anything, it would somewhat be the reverse, as in people must be spying on them because they are so great.

Interesting you say that, because sometimes its actually hard to distinguish the two and sometimes its easy. The thing is, with schizophrenia the person is not intouch with reality at all. But with someone who has bi polar disease they are. And only present with psychotic features when they are going through a manic episode or a "high" which can last about a week. Someone with schizophrenia however will never be intouch with reality unless they take their meds.

This last statement is false, read up a little on schizophrenia and myths about it. Also, if one really can't distinguish between schizophrenia and psychosis from a manic episode there are other provisional diagnoses that can be given rather than jumping to the most severe one. Often there are other factors that could help point one in the right direction for diagnosis. Again, I see this quite often and usually with a couple of questions about symptoms, presentation, and history it can be figured out. Also, manic episodes can last a lot longer than 1 week.

I will kindly suggest you do not know what you are talking about. For instance, the example you give above is not a hallucination, nor would it lead to to them being delusional that they are important. If anything, it would somewhat be the reverse, as in people must be spying on them because they are so great.

This last statement is false, read up a little on schizophrenia and myths about it. Also, if one really can't distinguish between schizophrenia and psychosis from a manic episode there are other provisional diagnoses that can be given rather than jumping to the most severe one. Often there are other factors that could help point one in the right direction for diagnosis. Again, I see this quite often and usually with a couple of questions about symptoms, presentation, and history it can be figured out. Also, manic episodes can last a lot longer than 1 week.

What do you mean its not a hallucination? I know hallucination is when they hear, see, smell or touch something that is actually not there. Maybe it wasnt such a good example but its a hallucination if the neighbour itself is not physically there (Like i have seen from one CATT team experiences. They may see the neighbour looking at them, or even hear them but they arent actually there. Im not saying that every patient WILL lead to being delusional if they were going through this but it CAN. And ive seen it happen. Im using that as one example that Ive experienced in someone very recently.

Ok, maybe using the word "never" was a bad word to say. However, patients with schizophrenia however are not in touch with reality hence why SOME of them can not live in the community effectively.

Yes, they can last longer than one week, but a person (not all of them however) that experiences a full blown manic episode will not eat nor drink for that period unless prompted simply because they just forget. And Im pretty sure you know the effects it has on the body if someone has not eaten or drank anything for 1 week.

There is no "yep, manic episode. Thats gonna last 3 days". It varies from each person just like people who have schizophrenia. Each person will have different delusions or hallucinations.

possibly but I don't think so, he was telling me how there were different degrees of schizophrenia and that he was still at a functional level, maybe I'm remembering it wrong, if you could explain the difference between schizoeffective a schizophrenic I might be able to tell you though

There are several other possibilities that would include a lot of typing but basically there are psychotic disorders thar are different types of schizophrenia (paranoid, catatonic, disorganized), schizoaffective disorder (basically a combo of schizophrenic features and a mood disorder) and then there are personality disorders that include these features but they are more ingrained and fixed as they are part of that individual's personality.

That house- is that one of those houses people make from old missile sites?

What do you mean its not a hallucination? I know hallucination is when they hear, see, smell or touch something that is actually not there. Maybe it wasnt such a good example but its a hallucination if the neighbour itself is not physically there (Like i have seen from one CATT team experiences. They may see the neighbour looking at them, or even hear them but they arent actually there. Im not saying that every patient WILL lead to being delusional if they were going through this but it CAN. And ive seen it happen. Im using that as one example that Ive experienced in someone very recently.

Ok, maybe using the word "never" was a bad word to say. However, patients with schizophrenia however are not in touch with reality hence why SOME of them can not live in the community effectively.

Yes, they can last longer than one week, but a person (not all of them however) that experiences a full blown manic episode will not eat nor drink for that period unless prompted simply because they just forget. And Im pretty sure you know the effects it has on the body if someone has not eaten or drank anything for 1 week.

There is no "yep, manic episode. Thats gonna last 3 days". It varies from each person just like people who have schizophrenia. Each person will have different delusions or hallucinations.

Yes, I think it's how you worded your example.

Again, generally speaking, I think you are incorrect in your statements, and I would encourage you to look into these disorders more if they interest you.

Yeah its a tough thing to go through or see someone your close to go through.It is pretty common for the voices to tell you to not take your meds,or they just make you feel like a vegetable so you dont wanna take them.I saw my mom go through years of it never really consistently taking her meds and some crazy shit went down in my house.She thought we had cameras everywhere and people were watching us from across the street.I have heard theories about cannabis and Schizophrenia being connected,but another thing that seems to greatly increase your chances of developing it is Sexual Abuse.Thankfully my Mom is alot better now,but it really is a terrible and saddening thing to witness someone experience and to go through

That's a great question for a nature-nurture debate since you're discussing how something thought to be a genetic inheritance can be influenced by trauma and life events.

There's a really good book out that I have yet to read called Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley. It's only 10 chapters so I recommend picking it up. The main thesis of Nature via Nurture is that nature versus nurture is a false dichotomy. Even though all seem to acknowledge this and that humans are a product of an interaction between the two, the debate still continues. Ridley’s point is that the discovery of how genes actually influence human behavior, and how human behavior influences genes, is about to recast the debate entirely. Things like schizophrenia and other mental/behavioral/mood/anxiety disorders, which are genetically inherited, don't/won't become activated until certain life experiences take place. Also I've heard that Schitzophrenia is usually activated by things that happen in early childhood, but the symptoms don't appear until adolescence.

From the book:

(Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley, pg. 6) It is genes that allow the human mind to learn, to remember, to imitate, to imprint, to absorb culture and to express instincts. Genes are not puppet masters, nor blueprints. Nor are they just the carriers of heredity. They are active during life; they switch each other on and off; they respond to the environment. They may direct the construction of the body and brain in the womb, but then they set about dismantling and rebuilding what they have made almost at once – in response to experience. They are both cause and consequence of our actions. Somehow the adherents of the ’nurture’ side of the argument have scared themselves silly at the power and inevitability of genes, and missed the greatest lesson of all: the genes are on their side.