Schizophrenia

Soup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXyqe85cuA

Last year, Janssen pharmaceutical company tried to make mentally healthy people feel like they were having a psychotic episode. As the manufacturer of both Invega Sustenna and Risperdal Consta, two of the most prescribed drugs for paranoid schizophrenia, Jassen has a stake in making people understand the pain and confusion attendant to this mental illness. To give doctors and psychiatrists a glimpse into the mindset of a paranoid schizophrenic, Jassen brought an 11 seat multi-sensory, virtual-reality theater dubbed “Mindstorm” to 11 mental health and psychiatry conferences around the US. The video above comprises just the visual element of Mindstorm’s fully immersive environment.

If you want to know what it feels, smells, and tastes like to make a break with reality, contact Jassen for a demo. They are headquartered in New Jersey.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember sitting in on a medical school lecture one day, at a very prestigious medical school, and the topic of that lecture was schizophrenia.

it was interesting.

they spent a good half an hour talking about how cannabis can worsen the effects of schizophrenia.

thats an interesting comment about the weed Calig. I read somewhere that schizophrenics naturally have higher levels of dopamine. Same with Tourette's and ADHD. Marijuana is known to boost levels of dopamine, so it makes sense.

It is a really interesting subject, my mum worked in the mental health field for quite some time and schizophrenia is such a general word for peoples different conditions.

Any sort of drug/alcohol can really make the mental health of a patient go down hill, as for taking meds, it depends on what sort of state the patient is in. If they have been off their meds for a while then their grip on reality is going to be much worse then getting them to take them is a lot harder because they are probably in the stages of a full blown psychotic episode. However some patients come of their meds because of the voices or whatever, but they also know they should be taking the meds so they have that whole internal struggle going on.

But this is definitely a interesting subject, I watched the video from the first post but wasn't impressed with that, it seemed so tame, that sort of shit wouldn't bother me at all, they should have had more sense of panic/urgency and more visual interuptions to the thought process. That just seemed like a normal video with some highschool kids being bitchy in it.

My uncle is schizophrenic....he brought it on thru crazy pyschedelic/stimulant use.

It basically ruined his life, no job in the last 30 years, been on disability.

There was a year that he spoke onlyh in gibberish rhyme....for a wile he thought keith harrington from the rolling stones was following him.

I can't imagine it, pretty sad. I wouldn't take anything to simulate mental illness, seems like a bad idea.

I have schizo tendencies shit was passed down through my family

It dosn't mean you're crazy honestly.

I know other schizophrenics who go out and do they're part for society just like any other person.

It's just a different mind state

It's hard to adapt to.

There's an old man in my neighborhood named Chris who is a schizo. All the kids know him in the area so they use him to buy beer and to hang out at his house, party, or whatever. Many of the times I've been around him, he talks to someone named gary in his head who he says is his dad and "Gary" is trying to "fuck him in the ass" as he put it. He also has a woman in his head and he tells us that he wants to take a knife to his brain and cut her out of his skull.

However, this dude has had a rough life, he did acid and speed every other day for a year and a half, that definitely could have added fuel to his fire, but I think he's always been like this, it just keeps getting worse. I mean fuck the dude hates drinking but he slams a 30 pack to himself every day in 2 hours to make him pass out cold so he doesn't have to hear voices for 4-5 hours until he wakes back up. I also think he has multiple personalities, when he's passed out he talks in a scottish accent which is weird, and he keeps repeating,"Aye! You Fucking Cocksucker!!!!" I think schizophrenia has a "schedule" too. I've noticed that he changes multiple times throughout the day at specific times. He says at 12:00 he won't know where he is and that at 12:07 the air is going to turn off and that the sky will close in on the ground.

The dude is a trip, I'll try to film him and show you guys what he's all about.

my old roomie was paranoid schizophrenic with psychotic features.

they kept in under control with meds, until he would decide he hated the way they made him feel dead inside and would go off em.

he didn't have multiple personalities. MPD is something different. usually schizophrenics hear voices, and in my experience, the voices tell them all sorts of shit. basically whatever you could imagine.

mental illness is fascinating and terrible.

people in the throws of a psychotic episode are fuckin scary.