fullcircle

podrido

obviously i know that people have been painting freights since the mid 80s not much but more or less when that started.

anyway i was just thinking to myself how theres not much benching going on anymore, or at least from the looks of what i see on 12oz. i am definitely not an active bencher nor do i go out of my way at all to even hit cargo but, it seems to me that since 2001 the whole freight hype is dying out or atleast slowing down. obviously not speaking about the lifers, just the kids who wanted to jump on the hype.

anyone else have this feeling?

i myself wouldn't mind everyone jumping off the band wagon already.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Not no one. I care, you care, we care. I am still as active (and knowledgeable) as ever.

I also don't see enough herbs falling off, there's plenty out my way. I can even identify a generation of newer writers who started after I did and put in enough work to be called established.

If your area got sleepy, and toys fell off, don't tell me where it is cause I'm comin through.

One final pro-curmudgeon note: us vets can't shake our fist and lament about how things changed if there isn't a new generation fucking it all up. Everything in its time.

• 3 weeks later...

no question about it, i have fallen off completely...i dont paint or bench anymore. but from what i see in passing, freights are getting painted more now than they ever did. trains are smashed. this is from someone who has been watching them since the 80s so i remember when there was NOTHING.

IMO whether it is by the overnight sensation or the lifers is irrelevant...trains are getting painted and thats what counts - it is what people from my generation dreamed of back in the late 80s early 90s. all graffiti on the subway wasnt real super fresh masterpiece burners. it would be kind of boring if everything on trains was full color master piece caliber...there has GOT to be some sort of spectrium. for every 10 kids who blow spots andpaint garbage 1 or 2 will take it serious and devote a good 5 maybe 10 years. thats probably always been the case. and since there is literally an endless supply of freight cars and spots i dont see this thing ever dying - althouth its popularity on the internet may subside - but that may not be such a bad thing. back to basics. painting and benching and photo trading among individuals that are really dedicated is how it started...so yess full cricle is good, but the circle means that it will keep going and never end.

Yeah, well, remember when freight writers knew stuff about freights? When you could ask someone what kind of car they painted, and they would say soethign other than "a reefer dude, fucking armns!" and then they could tell you what it carried, and who owned it, what parts of the country it spent time in, what railroad loaded it, which unloaded it. Back when passion meant something about trains, before the internet and lookin for spots online, you had to figure shit out for yourself. Dedication, that was dope

I have to agree with this is some aspect. I have looked onlive for spots... almost all my spots were found that way. Itdoes take a degree of dedication to figure out what spots are still active and what aren't. Where you can and can not paint. I for one track my cars, know they types and do as much research as I can. But why not use the internet to figure some things out. It's an awesome resource to ignore. I still have a lot to learn but I'm not stoping anytime soon.

I have to agree, a lot of benching going on with Flickr. I have slowed down to some degree as far as benching goes, mainly because of the area I'm currently living in, but also I don't have the desire to drive to bench because I'm not real excited about the shit I see on the rails nowadays, but thats just me.

• 2 months later...

i've been using this site for over 10 years and it may have slowed down some on here, but i run into other people painting and just benching on almost a weekly basis. and while the ratio of good to bad might be more bad now. theres still more quality shit running now than in the past. atleast thats my opinion

• 4 weeks later...