Legalize and Tax Pot California Initiative Prop 19

Zig

Yes on Prop 19: Marijuana Legalization Gets its Number in California

http://elections.firedoglake.com/2010/06/28/yes-on-prop-19-marijuana-legalization-gets-its-number-in-california/

What do you think the chances are that this actually passes and is adapted? How does this process work? I'm interested in learning how close the U.S could possibly be to legalizing marijuana. Is this a full blown legalization, or this a medical marijuana law? If adapted, what kind of trigger effect would this have on other states? How fast could this possibly take hold of the country? Would the Federal Government attempt to appeal, or can they even appeal something like this and challenge it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

they missed a trick, should have called it prop 420

I don't know enough about America state/federal law to comment, but seeing that the feds have already been sticking their noses into california marijuana laws I would imagine they would probably try and step in on this also.

I don't know much about this bill...what I've heard from people in the business is that it's not much better than the current laws.

There should be some degree of regulation and standards for medical weed, but beyond that pot should be completely decriminalized and not subject to any special conditions or taxation.

I'll give this one even odds to pass- after all, 215 passed by a decent margin in the 90s with a Republican governor in charge- but I wouldn't use it as a barometer for the rest of the US. Compared to other first world countries, overall I'd say we're about 70 years behind the curve when it comes to issues like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot about this and I'm up for any questions you have.

Background:

Prop 215 only addressed medical marijuana. It look the state almost 14 years to figure out how it would work. Basically local gov't does whatever they want!

Long story short its created the following process for scoring "legal" tress in certain areas:

1. See a real doctor and complain about something (real or not) and voila! You now have documentation of an ailment from a real doc.

2. Acquire said documentation in the form of paper medical records or an Rx Bottle.

3. Take said documentation to any of the 1000s of CA doctors known for providing a 'Physicians Recommendation". This usually costs $40 - $120 dollars from start to finish. Typically the whole process takes less than 10 minutes. You now have the documentation needed to enter any legal MCDC (Medical Cannabis Dispensing Collective).

4. Find a good MCDC in or near your area. They are as different as one could imagine. I can tell you the first time you find a good one you'll leave with your head spinning. Shit you never knew existed will end up coming home with you.

5. Lock yourself in a safe place and freak out for a few days/weeks/months. Eventually the novelty wears off and you'll learn what you like and most likely stick to it.

Prop 19:

Also known as the 'Control, Tax and Regulate' initiative, seeks to decriminalize trees for those 21 and over. Meaning, no you will not get arrested for that half-zip of purp sitting shotgun when you get pulled over. Other top line restrictions are included such as no smoking in public, near children and in your car. Oh, you can also grow as much trees as you can fit in a 25 sq foot space too...only on your property though.

Beyond the main objectives of Prop 19, it allows counties and local city gov't to create special taxes for tree sales. Right now Oakland taxes $10.80 for every $1000 of product sold. Most jurisdictions are looking at taxing at levels from 1.8% to 12%. How this shakes out is anyone's guess. Prop 19 gives local gov'ts a chance to regulate pretty much any aspect of the industry as they see fit (grow regulations, % of THC in concentrates, MCDC proximity to schools/churches/houses, edible packaging, operating procedure...etc).

The Biznezz:

Since Prop 215 passed a lot of procedure was put in place to get us where we are in CA. It was written using very vague language and courts have had the burden of deciphering such cryptic verbiage.

Either way, this is where we stand today. Medical Marijuana is the single biggest crock of shit there ever was.

A loophole in the law's language really blew the doors open for CA's entrepreneurs.

In the opening paragraph of Prop 15, it states that state licensed docs may recommend (but not Rx) marijuana for any patients that would receive relief from "serious" or "terminal" ailments OR any patient suffering from "any other illness" that would receive benefit from Medical Marijuana.

Basically everyone has some ailment that would qualify such as bi-annual headaches, sleep issues, menstrual cramps, any past injury with lingering pain...basically whatever you come up.

Prop 19 in the simplest words...anyone 21 or over can walk into any place offering trees and purchase them legally under state law. There be be no need for stupid "doctor recommendations" from morally questionable doctors to gain entry to MCDCs. Not a huge change honestly.

However, this does NOT mean the Feds couldn't step in at any time. Personally, I don't see this happening anytime soon unless there is a monumental change in Federal and State gov't. Fuck even Eric Holder(Attorney General) went on official record stating the Obama administration will respect state's rights when it comes to medical trees.

Medical Patients Will Not Be Affected!:

All these stupid fukkin weed hippies think its the end of an era. Waaaaa!!! You fucking babies.

The laws created under Prop 215 are much more lenient than Prop 19. Keep getting those recommendations and your still fine to play under Medical laws (read: more plants, more product allowed in possession and more).

Growers need to quit being uninformed hippies and quit yer bitchin. You afraid the life of doing nothing but getting high and growing trees will come crashing down if it's "legal"? If anything, prices will go thru the roof at first.

Its my advice to you to take advantage of this time and hustle hard. It ain't gonna last forever so get yours while you can.

In fact, go create some crazy shit like this that the whole Bay Area is going nuts for:

Tbyrcl.jpg

I had a chance to meet this guy and he could be the first weed hippy ever to invent/market/distribute something worthwhile.

Will Prop 19 pass?:

Tough to say. The polling for last years field poll only showed %56 in favor. Typically you need about %60 to even stand a chance. Beyond this, its an off year election. Repubs (who do not favor 19) show up in droves for any election...what the fuck else do old people have to on a Tuesday afternoon? Also, recent smaller polls have shown the issue losing steam. I think one poll had support in the 30s.

If the young Dems come out in full force, its on. Just need a sqwinch over 50% to get this done. I'm involved on some bigger strategy campaign stuff but the kids volunteering all mean well and work hard. They meet weekly in Oakland if you wanna peep game: http://www.taxcannabis.org/page/s/volunteer ---> sidenote, you get really high after meetings if thats your thing (sssssh!)

At this point its up in the air, could go either way. If it does shit the bed and fail, we still have the medical trees industry so I'm cool. I would like to see a little more regulation soon but one step at a time...

Who thinks they will actually vote 'yes' on this?

don't forget, readjusting your hussle often pays off....

Hey thanks for that post, that's exactly what I was looking for.

ehh... I honestly don't see why the Republicans are still not in favor of legalizing marijuana... but yea I guess I do actually see why. Hopefully Democrats will pull through and make this happen because I really think it would help the country out economically and socially. Do you think if marijuana were suddenly legalized it would spark nationwide abuse? What do you think would be the worst that could happen? I'm sure politicians have all sorts of crazy slipper-slope scenarios.

What's changed for the worse in California since 215 passed? Nothing I can see that can be attributed to weed. And I quit smoking the stuff around the same time 215 passed.

And on the flip side of that...states that don't want legal weed obviously hate making money which is totally okay with me. Oh, and if you live in one of those states and you're such a hardcore stoner to where that interferes with your lifestyle, put down the vapor bag and MOVE HERE, damn it.

if it passes it becomes legal for all people regardless of scrip to have up to an ounce of weed on their person, yes?

most dudes I know that smoke trees/sell trees already have cannabis cards, whether they get their weed from clubs or not. also, for the record, most people I know in the bay don't buy at clubs.

i've read a couple articles about black leaders reponse's to this new prop, and it seems like the community is pretty split on the issue.

However, I have a card even though I don't smoke weed. You'd be surprised how handy that little piece of plastic/paper can be at times.

And I'm 100% in support of weed in principle even though I can't smoke it without turning into a babbling, drooling, paranoid mess.

However, I have a card even though I don't smoke weed. You'd be surprised how handy that little piece of plastic/paper can be at times.

exactlllly.

I was watching this cannabis show on discovery or something tonight, and in one segment this narcotics unit busted in the door of this "pot dealer" in tennessee who had like a half ounce of trees in his apartment and they were treating him like some fucking serious dope dealer. THE FUCK, it blew my mind mannnnnn.

Haha...I live in a city where the cops have been specifically told to leave anyone carrying less than an ounce not bagged up for sale alone whether they have a card or not.

Like I said, I don't see this changing much in what happens day to day around me. If it does pass it will set a precedent, but that's part of the reason I think it WON'T pass.

• 4 weeks later...

I think one thing a lot of people outside of California don't know about the struggles medical cannabis is going through at this time. There is some where in the are of 15 counties, and 28 cities that have banned dispensaries. Due to the fact that politicians used the same mantras and false facts about marijuana. And they pitch to the surprisingly large majority of right winged republicans in Southern California. But Delivery Services have popped up everywhere. My thoughts are that prop 19 will barely pass. The churches will try to shut it down. But religion is a after thought in California. So thats about it. I have more to say, I just don't have the energy to type it all out though.

i think the argument that says... 'legalize drugs so the govt can TAX it...'

is the only sound argument AGAINST legalization of drugs in existence.

the last thing the govt needs is another damn thing to tax.

Normally I'd agree with the "no new tax" sentiment, but this is a rare exception.

Local governments are hard up for revenue here, and if they could tap into the biggest cash crop in the state it would be a good thing....ideally they could attach some riders to the tax to earmark the money for certain programs to guarantee it will be spent responsibly, but that's expecting an awful lot.

I think one thing a lot of people outside of California don't know about the struggles medical cannabis is going through at this time. There is some where in the are of 15 counties, and 28 cities that have banned dispensaries. Due to the fact that politicians used the same mantras and false facts about marijuana. And they pitch to the surprisingly large majority of right winged republicans in Southern California. But Delivery Services have popped up everywhere. My thoughts are that prop 19 will barely pass. The churches will try to shut it down. But religion is a after thought in California. So thats about it. I have more to say, I just don't have the energy to type it all out though.

Prop 8 passed on the strength of organized religion campaigning to a specific demographic, so I wouldn't put it past them to try it again.

However, the game has changed considerably. Law enforcement recognizes the precedent of 215 and how it's played out, good and bad. Personally I'm not a big fan of 215, it was kind of a hack as far as the language and terms set forth but it did change things enough to allow dispensaries to operate without state intervention...the DEA was a whole other issue, but at least local cops weren't forced into compliance to bust legal operations.

• 2 weeks later...

hate to sound like your typical 14 yr old stoner... but...

im moving to california once this passes. i hate living in fear of going to prison over a plant.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:

do you have to live in a state for a certain amount of time before you're allowed to vote? or can i just move there to vote on this? casek?

edit: and about the taxing... they can't tax what grows in the ground man. just what you buy. technically, you can grow your own tobacco too. but you don't.

edit: and about the taxing... they can't tax what grows in the ground man. just what you buy. technically, you can grow your own tobacco too. but you don't.

for shits and giggles, you should check out the actual regs on tobacco growing in the US. you'd really be surprised. believe me, its not as simple and just planting, growing and harvesting.

and i also urge you to check Wickard v. Filburn. here the feds 'discovered' and claimed some super extra constitutional power to regulate wheat based on 'interstate commerce' when the guy was growing it on his own land for his own use. under this precedent congress can regulate ANYTHING even down to making you plow under your crops.

This WILL NOT help! Unless you are a big business or the government, in which case you can just come in and get in on the green rush and get even richer while ruining local economies.

You hippy assholes need to get it the fuck together and realize that this bill would create such a shitquake that it will blow your bob marley black light poster and sweet bong right off the goddamn wall. Keep pot ILLEGAL

• Like 1

This WILL NOT help! Unless you are a big business or the government, in which case you can just come in and get in on the green rush and get even richer while ruining local economies.

You hippy assholes need to get it the fuck together and realize that this bill would create such a shitquake that it will blow your bob marley black light poster and sweet bong right off the goddamn wall. Keep pot ILLEGAL

they took our jobs? lol

they+took+our+jobs

And if i see you trying to get this passed I will punch you in the face because you are basically stealing from the people and giving to fucking assholes. Reverse robin hood if you will. Eat shit retards

legalizing pot and taxing it will ultimately have a greater benefit to mankind than the initial backlash of corporate greed.

fuck you.

I kinda agree with what you're saying to some degree, but I'm pretty sure the Feds won't stop coming in and hitting the easy targets. So I don't think major businesses will be cashing in on it as much as you would assume any time soon.

I also don't think legalizing wouldn't be a major solution to California's economic problems other than increasing tax revenues for the State. I'm just assuming the potential weed money is already being made one way or another. Either way people are still going to smoke, there will always be rich people getting over, and poor people looking for a come up. I think the only way to get CA government out of trouble would be a thorough douching out of current politicians, but that will never happen.

• Like 1

Any grower who didn't anticipate this or at least keep it in the back of their minds as a possibility and is scared/pissed about it passing has got to be a profit-driven douchebag with no foresight...and I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Keeping pot illegal puts thousands of people in prison a year. Are you okay with that? I'm not. Keeping pot illegal gives local and federal law enforcement way too much power to ruin lives. Are you okay with that? I'm not. Keeping pot illegal makes it impossible for sick people to feel better naturally without basically bribing the state to look the other way. Are you okay with that? I'm not.

Sorry if this cuts into your "friend's" profit margin but as flawed as it is I'm still glad people have the option to vote on this at all.