alternative tastes

FACTORY_MADE

With all the eclectic tastes on here, or that is usually associated with being a writer to some extent, how do some of you find dealing with your normal or more mainstream freinds or what have you, when it comes to music? How do you take to peoples reactions to the music on your ipod or etc. Or when they ask you Yo this wayne shit is fire right!? and your just like uuuuuh:o

do you go with the flow or just burst out in dissaproval or wat?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Most of my friends are into the same sort of music as me, but then they aren't exactly mainstream people anyway. When people at work talk about music I just keep my mouth shut. People say oh this song is amazing and I just think fucking sheep just following what is popular. Most of the time if I mention bands I like people just have a blank expression on their face because they don't know anything outside of the charts.

Music is not entirely relative to the way lyrical content is percieved so much as it is relative to how it makes one feel. Each person's brain takes to different wavelengths in a different fashion so while one person really might like gaga, that same pop sound might make another person cringe. It's all a matter of what tingles your brain the right way, social norms and standards shouldn't be heavily applied to music in terms of whether or not one can be judged for liking a certain sound.

That said, it is pretty funny when your boys are rocking out to old backstreet boys or Justin timberlake or whatever for the sheer fact that those type of sounds are marketed towards a very specific demographic and are also very manufactured and lack any real integrity. One great thing about music is it's ability to spread a message, and that message is mostly lost in today's mainstream "talent pool".

The reason people give it play though is because in the end, it sounds a certain way and it registers with them a certain way, and that's just the way it is. We're designed to like music, and regardless of who agrees with it, we will like what we're naturally inclined to like. So I'm cool with people listening to whatever, I listen to almost everything. My reasons for it can range from i like what they're saying, or I like the way they're saying it. It is what it is.

• Like 2

I'm in ur thread, debating ur postz.

lol.

Alot of is is social conditioning, but if britney spears was a screamo act, i don't think mothers out in like, alabama would have taken so kindly to it. They clearly have no interest in her sexually so what else can it be other than it being a non-abrasive, easily likeable sound by those who are casual listeners of music. (Early early spears, not techno pop spears).

As for someone like Wayne, kids like it mostly for the beat and the fact that he's saying a mixture of cool shit, nonsense, and thug talk. Wayne targets the new generation as an influence and draws them in with the beats. Of course it's all part of a bigger agenda of dumbing down and so on and so on, but that's not the point. The kids like wayne cuz they like wat hes saying and they like how it's being delivered to them. For that reason, I totally understand when someone's like, oh i love wayne. It's just a shame when they favor wayne over like, Camp Lo or some shit. But that's the music industry's fault. Alot of it is also hype and the urge to fit in. It's all strategy though. Wayne is targeted to those guys. BUT YO.

Hasn't most all music of any decade been a trend? Swing music came thru, everyone was swing dancing. Jazz comes in, everyone is into that. Rock comes in, and so on and so on. Hip hop was a trend when it first came out, it just became a cultural phenomenon. Modern hip hop is unfortunately doing the same thing. It's all a sign of the times, but it's definitely a good idea to educate yourself as to what makes up quality music- unique compositions, lyrical content, harmonies, pleasantness- and to try to see why alot of what is fed to the ppl via the media is lacking in comparison to these standards. However, I'm not going to be mad at someone for liking that shit. They like it because they like it. Why they like it doesn't always define them as a person.

I really don't give a shit if people don't like the music i listen to in my day to day life. I generally have some artists that i like (but don't listen to a lot) on the old ass ipod i keep in my car that i know will appease most other people. I'll turn some of those on if i'm feeling nice and with someone who i know doesn't want to listen to punk/hardcore/noise rock type shit. Otherwise, if you're at my place or in my car, i get final say on what i want to listen to, and if that's a problem, you can drive your own ass or leave my house.

When i'm in other peoples' vehicles or at their places and they listen to shit music, i generally ignore it or occasionally talk shit. To be honest, it's usually not even worth it to argue with people who like terrible music, because the argument is just going to piss you off even more and the music probably isn't going to stop.

im not saying that im necesarily mad at them for it but it makes for good comedy when those two tastes collide and shit. Its different for us as we have to get used to dealing with something we dont agree with or dont like whereas most people dont.

However im not debating if little wayne is good or not. Or that trends are bad. although i feel to refer to something like jazz or hip hop as a trend, to me, shows ur lack of understanding of the genres. And def the point of thread.

What i think can be safely said is that little wayne and will I am is definately way more socially accepted, condoned, and promoted in our society than lets say t.v. party by black flag, or sister nancy, or john klemmer, or lord finesse, etc etc etc. Its not like your going to jump in a girls whip coming home from the club and be like yoo bitch check out the harmonies the keyboard is accompanying the base too in this song isnt that shit moving!?

im interested in how other people deal with these scenarios

DAVE MATTHEWS

CREED

ANY BAND DUDES WITH TRIBAL TATTOOS LISTEN TO

ANY BAND FRAT BOYS LISTEN TO

BOY BANDS

BRITNEY SPEARS GENRE SHIT

NON-SUICIDAL COUNRTY ARTISTS

POST SEATTLE ALT-ROCK

SCREAMO BANDS

MOST R&B AFTER THE EARLY 80'S

ALL SHIT!

I have zero faith in anyone's taste who listens to any of this shit seriously and I pretty much write them off as ever becoming a friend of mine, since they will more than likely follow suit with most of the douche bags that listen to this swill, personality-wise.

• Like 1

Definitions of trend:

* noun: the popular taste at a given time

Example: "He followed current trends"

* noun: a general tendency to change (as of opinion)

I referred to them as trends that became cultural phenomena. Though they're still around as of today, are they wat's on the radio? Django Reinhardt is not what's on the top 40.

Anyway, I wasn't validating wayne or anything like that. My point was that people will like what they will like. Your first post asked about how you deal with people's admiration of someone like wayne and my first response was (in short) It is what it is. They like it because they like it. I stand by that. I can think they have bad taste though.

as long as its not hyphy-step im pretty much all good with it. Seriously the next time I end up stuck at a festival listening to some shitty hyphy-step im gonna spray a few vials in the dj's face.

Also I almost jumped out of this persons care because they were playing happy hardcore while we were on the way to this party in the mountains. People who make happy hardcore/hardcore/etc should be shot on sight.

Usually I can tolerate my friends shitty tastes in music. I don't really give a fuck it's background noise most of the time and I can usually get drunk enough that it doesn't bother me. Dave matthews band has to be one of my exceptions since it has this amazing ability to give me a migraine.

If I really can't stand someones music and they have really pissed me off by forcing me to listen to it I can always slip them a ten strip and make them listen to something on repeat for the next twelve hours or so. Ten strips plus neurosis usually cures anyone of wanting to make me listen to shitty music again.

I just think you don't hang around the right people. I have 5 different prints right now as well as some liquid and a stack of gel tabs. So yeah it definitely still exists, you should have just flown over to europe for Hoffmans birthday party. You would have been able to have all the free acid you could want. Though I don't know if your mind would have survived.

• Like 1

you mean you DONT think wayne is fire?

This.

I don't care about other peoples opinions on my taste in music.

I'm open to hearing new things, there's always someone out there putting out interesting stuff.

Dislike the generic indie bands featuring dudes with skinny jeans singing about girlfriends they don't have.

I let people do there own thing and listen to what they want to, most of my friends have simmilar tastes to me, but there are those that dig some horrible shit like dub step and terrible terrible rap music. I will tell them what i think about it but im not gonna hold it against them for being shit when it comes to music. Some people who are into diffrent stuff than me would think i had a shit taste but i know there wrong so it's all good.

i listen to almost exclusively chopped up shit.screwed and chopped,slowed and chopped,whatever...im feelin it.i mean i only put it in here because i know alot of people who will only listen to it if they are in the right mood but i listen to that shit like all day everyday which i guess is an alternative taste from other cats.

pimp the pen.lil keke.

i could give a fuck if fools like it though.like whats his name said if it makes you happy when you listen to it then listen to it.im not trippin.im not a big fan of the heavy metal scene but i have friends who do and i dont hate on their shit when they bump it in their cars or whatever...