Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Jefe Uno

Banks and Credit

As you guys know, whenever you need advice in real life, 12oz is the place to go! So don't let me down here. I'm going to be moving from the East Coast to the West Coast soon, and I'm gonna need a new bank. I would prefer something with good online banking, won't fuck me over, and possibly branches on both sides of the country. Any ideas? I need to develop credit too, and I was wondering what the best way to go about it would be. If I get a credit card, what would you recommend? What do I look out for? I fucking hate buying shit that I have to pay off, but I'll have to learn to deal with it, ha.

I have faith in you guys, for some reason I can't understand. Don't let me down

I just figured out the other day that 'Alien Nation' is supposed to sound like 'alienation'.

Chase%20bank%20sign.JPG

they everywhere to.

get a secured credit card if you have a few hundo to drop, just pay everything off quick and look for low interest rates

"You just gonna do your taxes right now? Is that hot? Is that what's going down in the streets?"

chappelle-breastmilk-300x215.jpg

talking about banking is what's hot.

you can build credit just by owning a cell or home phone. paying bills on time, etc...

join a credit union if you can. take out a small loan if you can get one. pay it right back (in full) in like a month or two. that would help your credit out i would imagine.

credit cards are fucking evil if you use them carelessly. have a major (mastercard / visa) one for an emergency (major car issues, bail, legal fees, etc...). also, if you decide to use your credit card to buy nerds rope, beef jerky and big gulps at "sevs" make sure you pay off the entire balance by the end of the month. don't carry a balance on the card at all (if you can help it). also, don't use them (credit cards) to finance your small business. just because it worked for kevin smith with clerks, doesn't mean it will work for you.

I just figured out the other day that 'Alien Nation' is supposed to sound like 'alienation'.

:lol:

i dont think that was staged at all, in fact. id put money on it.

who knows tho, obviously much stranger things have happened to push record sales and generate "street cred"

I would recommend wells Fargo, I had bank of America before and they raped me with crazy fees--using the ATM too many times in a month fee WTF IS THAT? wells Fargo has been great to me. No hidden fees and ATMs everywhere.they've also reversed some overdraft fees for me a couple of times

I have a chase MasterCard but the interest is like 22%. Fuuuuuck that dude. Shop around. Buy like $30 worth of sox and boxers and pay it off very slowly BUT ON TIME. That's the way my homie who is now a used car salesman told me to build credit easy. But he's a fucking used car salesman so take it witha grain of salt.

I hear credit unions are great but have no experience with em. You should look into one.

Hope that helps man.

^chase bought out wells fargo, at least in the northwest either way they both good.

and yes credit unions are really good from what i hear but they are pretty much local and have only a couple branches around town

I haven't used Credit Unions in the past, but I have heard good things. I also like the idea of NOT handing my money to a giant corporation.. My only concern is convenience ATM's, Hours, etc. I haven't looked into them enough, and I'm sure a visit to one would clear up all my concerns.

Using an ATM too many times in a month and getting a fee sounds like bullshit to me. Well, banks in general sound like bullshit to me, but what are you gonna do.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. And the off topic random shit as well.

The credit union i have is the shit. I got a visa from them at 9%. And various small loans that i paid back real quick to establish my credit. Theyll give me loans for anything at this point. Theyre kind of weird about who they let in

There's only ONE answer to this question. I've said it for years and I don't understand why folks still don't know.

USAA

Seriously, USAA, nothing else. NOTHING ELSE!

USAA!

Bank/Savings look for....

- low monthly or yearly account fees

- reasonable interest rate so you can earn on your savings

- atm fees. Preferably 0 for their atms, and as low as possible for rival banks

- if you have a high amount of savings, consider a term deposit. Watch out for fees if you need to withdraw prior to term expiring

Credit cards look for...

- low as possible fees, on anything they offer

- interest rate is NOT important if you can pay off your debt in FULL AND ON TIME. If you do this you'll never pay interest. If you can't manage this look for a low rate. But do not get sucked in by 0% rates which skyrocket to 20+ after a few months.

- if you get into the habit of keeping your card debt free, then it should be enough to give you a credit history.

- consider a small loan (furniture or something) to build history, but only if you can pay it off.

- avoid loans from places like GE and car yards etc. They have horrible fees, interests, and traps.

Internet banking is great. You can automate payments do shit from your couch, link various accounts, etc. Preferably it should be free.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now