Banks and Credit

El Jefe Uno

As you guys know, whenever you need advice in real life, 12oz is the place to go! So don't let me down here. I'm going to be moving from the East Coast to the West Coast soon, and I'm gonna need a new bank. I would prefer something with good online banking, won't fuck me over, and possibly branches on both sides of the country. Any ideas? I need to develop credit too, and I was wondering what the best way to go about it would be. If I get a credit card, what would you recommend? What do I look out for? I fucking hate buying shit that I have to pay off, but I'll have to learn to deal with it, ha.

I have faith in you guys, for some reason I can't understand. Don't let me down

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"You just gonna do your taxes right now? Is that hot? Is that what's going down in the streets?"

chappelle-breastmilk-300x215.jpg

talking about banking is what's hot.

you can build credit just by owning a cell or home phone. paying bills on time, etc...

join a credit union if you can. take out a small loan if you can get one. pay it right back (in full) in like a month or two. that would help your credit out i would imagine.

credit cards are fucking evil if you use them carelessly. have a major (mastercard / visa) one for an emergency (major car issues, bail, legal fees, etc...). also, if you decide to use your credit card to buy nerds rope, beef jerky and big gulps at "sevs" make sure you pay off the entire balance by the end of the month. don't carry a balance on the card at all (if you can help it). also, don't use them (credit cards) to finance your small business. just because it worked for kevin smith with clerks, doesn't mean it will work for you.

I would recommend wells Fargo, I had bank of America before and they raped me with crazy fees--using the ATM too many times in a month fee WTF IS THAT? wells Fargo has been great to me. No hidden fees and ATMs everywhere.they've also reversed some overdraft fees for me a couple of times

I have a chase MasterCard but the interest is like 22%. Fuuuuuck that dude. Shop around. Buy like $30 worth of sox and boxers and pay it off very slowly BUT ON TIME. That's the way my homie who is now a used car salesman told me to build credit easy. But he's a fucking used car salesman so take it witha grain of salt.

I hear credit unions are great but have no experience with em. You should look into one.

Hope that helps man.

I haven't used Credit Unions in the past, but I have heard good things. I also like the idea of NOT handing my money to a giant corporation.. My only concern is convenience ATM's, Hours, etc. I haven't looked into them enough, and I'm sure a visit to one would clear up all my concerns.

Using an ATM too many times in a month and getting a fee sounds like bullshit to me. Well, banks in general sound like bullshit to me, but what are you gonna do.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. And the off topic random shit as well.

Bank/Savings look for....

- low monthly or yearly account fees

- reasonable interest rate so you can earn on your savings

- atm fees. Preferably 0 for their atms, and as low as possible for rival banks

- if you have a high amount of savings, consider a term deposit. Watch out for fees if you need to withdraw prior to term expiring

Credit cards look for...

- low as possible fees, on anything they offer

- interest rate is NOT important if you can pay off your debt in FULL AND ON TIME. If you do this you'll never pay interest. If you can't manage this look for a low rate. But do not get sucked in by 0% rates which skyrocket to 20+ after a few months.

- if you get into the habit of keeping your card debt free, then it should be enough to give you a credit history.

- consider a small loan (furniture or something) to build history, but only if you can pay it off.

- avoid loans from places like GE and car yards etc. They have horrible fees, interests, and traps.

Internet banking is great. You can automate payments do shit from your couch, link various accounts, etc. Preferably it should be free.

Credit cards look for...

- low as possible fees, on anything they offer

- interest rate is NOT important if you can pay off your debt in FULL AND ON TIME. If you do this you'll never pay interest. If you can't manage this look for a low rate. But do not get sucked in by 0% rates which skyrocket to 20+ after a few months.

- if you get into the habit of keeping your card debt free, then it should be enough to give you a credit history.

- consider a small loan (furniture or something) to build history, but only if you can pay it off.

- avoid loans from places like GE and car yards etc. They have horrible fees, interests, and traps.

Internet banking is great. You can automate payments do shit from your couch, link various accounts, etc. Preferably it should be free.

bump.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

There is no ONE bank that has branches on both coasts( I you find one let me know) or at least not in the cities I need them at. For this reason Its come done to me having 2banks.

Citibank and chase. I've had the citi account for a good 8 or 9 years and recently out of necesity the chase account.

I would suggest you look at both these options and if they have branches in he particular cities you frequent.

There is no ONE bank that has branches on both coasts( I you find one let me know) or at least not in the cities I need them at. For this reason Its come done to me having 2banks.

Citibank and chase. I've had the citi account for a good 8 or 9 years and recently out of necesity the chase account.

I would suggest you look at both these options and if they have branches in he particular cities you frequent.

I think I can find Bank of America in the two cities I need it on each coast, but I haven't heard too many good things about them.

I work for a bank here in the UK.

If you are going to get yourself a credit card, make sure it has a 0% intro rate on it for at least 6 months, also make sure you pay off the full balance on the card each month to avoid paying any interest in the blance.

Also, if you are transferring a balance from an existing credit card check to see what the fee is, some banks charge you a % fee of the balance you are transferring.

Make all purchases that you would normally make on a debit card on your credit card and clear the balance at the end of the month, because then you will be covered under the payment protection on the credit card, a good example is the Volcanic ash cloud from iceland, people who paid for flights which were cancelled with their credit card are covered for a refund under the payment protection.

Always shop around, after your 0% interest period has finished transfer the balance to another credit card if you havent been paying the full balance each month to keep yourself paying interest on the account.

Savings accounts are pretty much redundant at the moment because interest rates are so low it isn't really that great, but there are still some accounts around offering 4 or 5% interest on savings but that is generally on higher balances, if you are in the UK put your savings in an ISA so the taxman doesn't take a cut of the interest.