BROAD STREET BULLIES

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played hockey my whole life and start of college, i got burnt out on it but still enjoy watching it from time to time. i give props to earl for even mentioning this movie... it was fucking awesome. the archive footage and interviews are fucking classic. brought me back to my youth and made me miss my dad... he played for the RI Reds, Hershey Bears and another team which will not be named as to not out myself and i have family in the P bruins and his son plays in the pros right now. so its been part of my life in some way since i was born...

alot of great names mentioned in here and IOU made a great point with the Great One... he single handedly chanced the face of hockey and the way it was played (for better or worse) and the real rough shit went away for the most part... ill stop now before i ramble on and on...

what a great and pure time in sports... cheers

played hockey my whole life and start of college, i got burnt out on it but still enjoy watching it from time to time. i give props to earl for even mentioning this movie... it was fucking awesome. the archive footage and interviews are fucking classic. brought me back to my youth and made me miss my dad... he played for the RI Reds, Hershey Bears and another team which will not be named as to not out myself and i have family in the P bruins and his son plays in the pros right now. so its been part of my life in some way since i was born...

That's really kool dude. Rip yer pops. Obviously growing up in canada the Nhl was a big part of my childhood. But there was a mystique with the ahl, like a grimey kinda badass league with teams in cities that I never knew about but became interested in.

They put an ahl team in greater vancouver a year or two ago and the providence b's were in town a few weeks back for a couple days. I actually thought about you RI cats fer a second and was gonna go to it as my first ahl game. Didn't tho, maybe next year.

Also, to swamp. I respect the fact hockey isn't your thing, and I dunno how big of a following the boston bruins have in provi but this next game against philli tomorrow night will be fucking epic. In philli, boston could close the series and philli is fightin for they life.

But be an excuse to grab drinks somewhere the bruins have a following and watch it around a rowdy crowd.

Goes with this movie with the flyers and goes with yer new england roots with the bruins.

I'm surprised HUSK and KGP haven't been all over this thread, they're both supreme hockey nerds.

I guess Husk used to be extremely good, and was offered some kind of semi-pro deal in Canada out of highschool, but decided fucking his life up for a few years was a better idea haha. He went to some faggy private school to play, and I always had a hard time picturing it, then one night at the bar he ran into some super br0 he used to play with, it was LULZ.

i give props to earl for even mentioning this movie... it was fucking awesome. the archive footage and interviews are fucking classic. brought me back to my youth

Exactly. I got all nerdy over this movie that I instantly thought "This is thread worthy."

Do they make pills to help with that?

When Terry O'Reilly came on screen, I seriously let out a fucking giggly "fuck yeah!" My girlfriend looked at me like I stood up and said "I love you're shoes! Who did you're hair!?" I think he was only on for one comment, but I got all giddy and missed most of it. My father used to watch games and say "Terry O'Reilly wouldn't have let that happen." hahaha. Byers and Pederson were the two goons I remember from our era of Bruins hockey. Apparently Terry O'Reilly could kick both their asses on the ice and shoot lightening bolts from his ass.

HBO has been knocking it out the park with their Sports Docs.

that russian rivalry in hockey back in the day was insane. tied in with that whole russian superpower thing.

intense.

one of the only 2 books iv ever read was called "tretiak" which was a documantary on vladislav treiak the russian goalie from back then who had this crazy scary assed larger than life presence cause he was so fucking good and never came into the nhl.

tretiak1.jpg

reminds me alot actually now that im thinking about it to that Fador immilenkov or whatever name that russian mma guy is not coming to ufc but being pegged as the best in the world.

• Like 1

My dad still talks about this era. Watching the playoffs, when Vancouver got spanked, he would say something like, "Back in the 70's, you didnt wanna beat a team by more than 2 in the playoffs, once you had that lead, you were shooting wide on purpose or shitting your pants." I agree about how soft the NHL has gotten, but at the same time.. like yeah guys could score without a doubt, but the fact that back then, you could have 2 guys hanging off you and another guy chopping at your ankles says something for how tough hockey players really were in that era.

ya no masks on the goalies musta been intense, and beleive it or not swamp i cant ice skate neither. but im a beast at street hockey like whoa.

Jacques Plante was the guy to first rock one:

jacques_plante_putting_on_mask_gr75.jpg

Gerry Cheevers had the coolest one early on:

watermarkcomp.jpg

Cheevers' iconic stitch-pattern goaltender mask came after a puck hit him in the face during practice. Cheevers, never one to miss an opportunity to skip out of practice, went to the dressing room. Bruins coach Harry Sinden followed him to the dressing room, where he found Cheevers enjoying a beer and smoking a cigarette. Sinden told Cheevers, who wasn't injured, to get back on the ice. In jest, John Forestall, the team trainer, painted a stitch mark on his mask. Ever after, any time he was similarly struck, he would have a new stitch-mark painted on. The mask became one of the most recognized of the era, and the original mask is now on the wall of his grandson's bedroom. Another version is on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Cheevers was not afraid to stray from the crease both to cut down the shooter's angle and to act as a "third defenseman". He was very aggressive with opposing players who strayed into or near the crease. Many an opposing player who got too close to the goal crease got a quick smack from Cheevers' goal stick. Not a "stand-up" goalie, Cheevers could often be found on his knees or even his side. He perfected this "flopping" style while playing for Rochester during the 1962–63 season. Americans' coach Rudy Migay had Cheevers practice without his stick, thus requiring him to rely more on using his body and his pads. From that point on Cheevers became one of hockey's best goalkeepers.

In 2008, The Hockey News rated his mask the greatest ever with a wide margin. Cheevers received 221 of possible 300 points, while second-placed Gilles Gratton got 66.

this my was my dude growing up. fav mask, fav goalie. i looked up to this mutherfucker as a youngster:

AAGV039-ActionPatrick-Roy-Posters.jpg

when i was a kid id sit around for hours drawing shit. only two things. never nothin else. hockey masks, and pirate ships.

hours on end haha

this shit was the good old days, bench clearing brawls and goalie fights.

now ever since roy and hasek, vernon, and osgood have all left the league there are no more of those fights, that's what made playoff hockey so fucking great, was the pure hatred and anger teams had toward each other once they got into the cup mode.

man those days are missed, there should have been a goalie fight in the buffalo vs. bruins series... but rask failed to come help miro satan who was fighting with miller.

this was a great docu.

like earl said, even if you dont like hockey watch this because it's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...