americans + food. a rant.

50million

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just going to point out that I was drunk browsing this thread last night, and I thought 5 from Australia started it...this shit reads like someone who isn't from America is complaining about the way a lot of people eat here.

Looking at it now, it just became 400 times more retarded. You live here and yet you're fronting like there's no such thing as a good meal, but you love to talk about all the good meals and high society food you eat...

good meals shouldnt just be in high society. i love a fucking down n dirty taco truck burrito just as much as a 'fancy' meal. but really why should that 'fancy meal' cost me so much? because nutritious food in america is underrated, or not very sought after.

in germany, they go home for lunch fo 2 hours. shops shut down and friends and family are allowed to cook, eat, talk, have a good time then go back to work. that sounds pretty interesting. not sure if they still do this...

frozen vegetables make me barf. no matter what kind. dont really eat them. im sure canned peas are even worse.

fist may have responded to this i'm not sure i didn't check. but frozen vegetables are actually the best aside from being fresh. they are generally frozen at a peak ripeness and done so very rapidly (flash frozen) in huge blast chillers. as far as preservatives in frozen veg it is only the freeze put on them to preserve them. now i can't tell you that they're GMO free cause most of them probably are.

fist may have responded to this i'm not sure i didn't check. but frozen vegetables are actually the best aside from being fresh. they are generally frozen at a peak ripeness and done so very rapidly (flash frozen) in huge blast chillers. as far as preservatives in frozen veg it is only the freeze put on them to preserve them. now i can't tell you that they're GMO free cause most of them probably are.

you're totally right. there are some high quality frozen veggies out there, they just are really gross to me. i think i ate some when i was little and barfed them all up and just could never eat them again. frozen fruits are ok though. not sure exactly why...some kind of stigma.

• Like 1

meeh just cause something is processed doesn't mean it's bad. unless your eating it everyday. and organic isn't necessarily better for sure, and not everyone can afford it. that being said i'm 18 and i go to culinary school. i've been cooking for my self since i was like 14 and before that i always was getting my self thigns to eat. the thing about it now is that food is kinda like a stigma in this culture. for fucks sake, bloomberg wants to outlaw salt in nyc! salt! with pepper, that is the basic seasoning for basically everything! oh well. there isn't even good cultural american food. in other countries families sit down together for dinner and have a hearty and heady meal. in america it's all fastfood..

anyway i dont know where i was going with that and sorry it's so unorganized... bottom line is

if what your eating wasn't aroudn when your grandparents were younger buying food, you probably shouldn't eat it. like the original poster was saying, it's all random ass preservatives and literally shit they throw in there. thats not food. and then we wonder why people are fat. Basque the GP dont eat reall food anymore!!!

there is american food. and it's more than just cheese burgers and hotdogs. i take it you just started culinary school good for you man. but to say that america is all fast food is retarded. you should research american cuisine before diving into escoffier and french cuisine. you'll be surprised.

you're totally right. there are some high quality frozen veggies out there, they just are really gross to me. i think i ate some when i was little and barfed them all up and just could never eat them again. frozen fruits are ok though. not sure exactly why...some kind of stigma.

i see. yeah that's like me and tequila. over indulged one time and now i can't even take the smell of it.

People are too lazy to cook and organic/non gmo/hormone free foods are a luxury. end of story.

I love to eat, so I learned how to cook. Plus I'm from the southwest, it's kind of a requirement. Cooking anything from scratch is likely to be better for you than canned/frozen/jarred foods. Sometimes it's more fattening -- of course real butter has more calories than whatever margarine or butter substitute was used in that boxed lean cuisine -- but still more natural and better for your body to break down.

Some people don't enjoy cooking as much as you, others, and myself do. They would rather have someone else cook for them. I know dudes who eat out twice a day (where they get the money who knows) but it's ridiculous. Rather than get a bag of pasta and some sauce, which takes $4 and all of 15 minutes to cook, they'd drop $20 on cafeteria food in a shitty restaurant. lame. lazy people can't be saved.

Some people simply don't have the time (say... after working 2 jobs, coming home and knowing you have to get up and do it again the next day.) There is the whole "make a bunch of food at once and the freeze it/eat leftovers all week" sure, but that requires taking half a day out of your day off, just to save time throughout the week. When I was working 2 jobs, the last thing I wanted to do on my single day off was spend half of it in the kitchen. If I really really wanted a home cooked meal, then I did it once or twice a week at the expense of other activities. That was and is my recreation, rather than going out to the park, hanging out with friends (unless I could afford to feed them too) or running errands.

Secondly, I work for Whole Foods and half the time can't afford to shop there. Most of the time a $6 bag of produce (/yes pesticides) from the Mercado is what gets me by. It beats the hell out of canned veggies, though. But hey, Whole Foods sells canned and frozen veggies too... I've got a bag of their frozen organic corn in my freezer right now. It can't be all that bad, no?

Meat? eggs? oops, not cage free either.

If you think about it too hard, sure, it sounds gross eating food with hormones and pesticides, so I simply don't think about it.

The way I have to shop for myself, I couldn't even imagine having one child, much less two and a husband to feed. Whole Foods is great for staple stuff like pasta, flour, canned veggies (like the tomatoes I use to make sauce from scratch), I can make it last a while but our $0.99 pasta doesn't beat out the 3/$1.00 at safeway or lucky that's going to feed a family of 4 or 5. Whether it's paid for with food stamps or not, it still has to last them.

So pretty much, for the people who don't care about their diet, why should I care? for the people who do, and can't manage to eat the way that's best for them, why should I fault them?

I think if I can't find a decent girl by next year or so I'm gonna take a trip to Italy and bring a wife home from there

dude, you wont be dissapointed. im in rome right now, and there are plenty of beautiful women, trust!! im really shy when it comes to taking random people pictures, but ill try to get some shots while im here.(because we aqll know that without pics....that shit didnt happen nigguh)

calig would fucking hate europe though..no fatties (or at least very very very few)

---

does anybody else find it sexy to cook with a partner? maybe its just my inner fattie coming out, but that shit gets me amped.

whole paycheck, as with the sad state of the price of good pot in rural communities, GROW YOUR OWN SHIT PEOPLE

i made Coq Au Vin tonite, what did you all cook?

i made seared ahi tuna marinated in soy, garlic and ginger with cilantro and tomato over rice.

sheeeeeit, one of my favorite threads is the pooperthread. cooking is awesome and i like knowing that i make better food than 90% of the restaurants in town. i love cooking with my girl and women in general dig that shit.