Illustration Band Wagon

Hayabusa

It seems lately that I've noticed a lot of kids jumping on and doing illustrations as 'art'. Ive come across a handful of random artists whose work, though cool, looks almost identical. Is this whats hot these days? Super clean ironic illustrations. Oddly proportionate tim burton character rip offs in super emo/moody scenes. Forreals? Is this a trend or has it always been like that?

What else is out there... I am not seeing a lot out there that really GRABS MY ATTENTION with power. the fuck?

At least not around my parts...

thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Sheit I hope my Inner Letter stuff doesnt fall into this category.... Ive only done illustration stuff with Fireworks MX as a boredom factor...or a broke factor....basically for fun. Its a free medium for me and I kinda screw myself by not bridging into Illustrator because Im sure nothing of mine could be printed well being that theyre all RGB formats.

I do agree with Haya though with it comes to an over abundance. Like I said its a free medium if you have a computer so it makes it very easy for anyone to just "jump on." Deviantart.com plays a big role as well. Its easy for kids to copy and follow the trends now because really all it takes is 2 open windows on a computer, an indirect copy&paste.

I think though that the main reason most "Illustrators" follow the same style is because a lot of their styles follow with the change in Advertisements, what is liked and not liked. When one breaks out with something new it because widely advertised and then everyone follows where in other parts of the art world someone can create "New" and unless they pursue exposure or get found that "new" is never seen.

I used to post on Computer Arts magazine's forum but it just doesnt get to much traffic. The was a guy on there that did a lot of characters and I always enjoyed most of his work. He did some photography where he would illustrator lil characters into it that I liked. I know the ugly odd characters is a big thing now a days but I think his work is respectable.

Heres his site...

http://steventopley.co.uk/index.php?s=portfolio

The photography ones are in the promotional work.

My theory is the art scene has more "non artist" people than ever so basic graphic design is in.

I guess calling someone a real artist is just as subjective as saying what is "good art".

I'm generally talking about the people who haven't developed any drawing/painting skills but are considered "great artists".

It's not so much the lack of basic artistic skill that bothers me, it's the lack of creativity and recycled vomit.

There are some artists that fall into the "cant draw" category that I do enjoy though based on their general concepts creativity and style.

I think growing up in a the highly competitive atmosphere based on skill like graffiti changes your tastes and what you can tolerate as far as bullshit.

The mainstream game is laced up with Andy Worhol type "artists" that focus more on how well they bullshit people into thinking their talented than artwork.

Nothings easier or more juvenile than drawing Mickey Mouse with some sort of ironic twist,

their artistic skills focus on convincing people it's relevant which is an art form unto itself.

Like most successful artist around here (NYC), it's not their artwork that matters, it's who they all blow, uhh, I mean know.

Don't worry about what their doing though and do you, I'd rather be a broke Van Gogh with skills and contribute to art than a rich Andy Worhol.

It's much easier on your constitution and there will always be a market for actual artistic skills out there.

I was talking more of the graphic design style of taking someones photo or image or idea without consent and altering it.

The kind of stuff you posted isn't as bad to me when presented as fine art since it deals with creating actual images but I respect the hate.

A lot of that type of stuff is all pretty generic looking but no where near as bad as the photo cutout filter garbage selling here for big money.

I like Jeremy Fish's carvings the best.

His illustrations are on a tshirt graphic design / skateboard design level and I'm not sure how I feel about paying fine art prices for his work.

Some of those originals hayabusa posted go for $1000+, IMO is way too much.

I was kinda digging this stuff like 15 years ago, was sort of a kitsch revival or something, now it's a real drag seeing potentially great artists doing what's the in thing, I hate looking at art of any sort, it blurs what I should be doing out of my own head instead of being pummeled by influences left and right. blah blah blah.

/somethinghardtoputinwordsonesers

I was kinda digging this stuff like 15 years ago, was sort of a kitsch revival or something, now it's a real drag seeing potentially great artists doing what's the in thing, I hate looking at art of any sort, it blurs what I should be doing out of my own head instead of being pummeled by influences left and right. blah blah blah.

/somethinghardtoputinwordsonesers

I kinda get you. Especially when it comes to viewing other stuff then trying to do you own, it can kinda muck things up...

did I just use the word muck?