April 29th 1992 L.A. Riots

CityonSMASH

LOL I refuse to believe whites are of the lowest class in Vancouver.

From what I see, there are poor Asians but it depends which kind.

Koreans are usually middle class, upper middle class, or rich. And usually are immigrants or first generation born.

Southeast Asians (Cambodians, Laotian, etc.) tend to be poor here, and have developed a small gang problem. Again usually immigrants or first generation.

Filipinos range anywhere from poor to middle class to wealthy. Most I'd say are just middle class.

Chinese range from poor to wealthy, it's a mix. Some are second & third generation, some are immigrants.

Japanese on the other hand have been here for generations... before Mexicans came, the gardners in L.A. were mostly Japanese. There's not as many Japanese in L.A. as there used to be, but they used to stay in the Crenshaw district of South Central and in Little Tokyo. Now they moved to places like Hawthorne & Torrance, and other parts of the South Bay... and are like 2nd, 3rd generations. Many don't speak a lick of Japanese and sound white as hell. They are usually middle to upper middle class. There's a section of L.A. called Sawtelle where there are Japanese immigrants not born here. But most here were born here and their parents & grandparents were born here. There are Japanese senior citizens over 70-80 years old that were born here and don't speak much Japanese.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya south east asians are def different. alotta philapino people up here and yes, gang activity. they get pretty ruthless actually.

vancouver has alot of asian roots aswell. chinese people built the railroads and there were mass amounts of opium dens back in the day up here. they are actually mentioned on Wiki's "opium den" look up among san francisco etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_den

Those Koreans own the store, they're not just workers making minimum wage.

A lot of Koreans in L.A. have money and live in mini-mansions in places like Hancock Park. Usually it's the doctors, dentists, property owners, etc. I doubt liquor store owners are rich but they usually own more than one business and are at least middle class.

either way, this started because of racism, no?

then people who felt their race was wrongly treated by the system/were involved rioting & looting (generally speaking, im obviously not saying that every looter was either black/white/hispanic) decided to seek out another race that was not the cause at all, because they felt like they were easier to target?

if someone likes rioting/looting because they like breaking/burning shit, they should just say so instead of using "i was discriminated against" as an excuse to target another race, which is a clear fail

yes there will always be rich or well-off immigrants who break the sterotype. does that make it right for someone to kick in a window to steal 40s because they look easier to steal from? im not saying ive never stolen anything from smaller stores, but i dont use racism as a copout

i could give a fuck that those owners were korean. they couldve been eskimos or martians & it still doesnt make it right. what would you rather have them do, wait for cops while people come in guns blazing & walk out with whatever they want?

id rather die with a little pride & defend what ive built from the bottom-up. & if because of a crappy store/plaza, i happen to have a well-off life outside from said crappy store/plaza, all the more reason to protect your assets

either way, this started because of racism, no?

then people who felt their race was wrongly treated by the system/were involved rioting & looting (generally speaking, im obviously not saying that every looter was either black/white/hispanic) decided to seek out another race that was not the cause at all, because they felt like they were easier to target?

if someone likes rioting/looting because they like breaking/burning shit, they should just say so instead of using "i was discriminated against" as an excuse to target another race, which is a clear fail

yes there will always be rich or well-off immigrants who break the sterotype. does that make it right for someone to kick in a window to steal 40s because they look easier to steal from? im not saying ive never stolen anything from smaller stores, but i dont use racism as a copout

i could give a fuck that those owners were korean. they couldve been eskimos or martians & it still doesnt make it right. what would you rather have them do, wait for cops while people come in guns blazing & walk out with whatever they want?

id rather die with a little pride & defend what ive built from the bottom-up. & if because of a crappy store/plaza, i happen to have a well-off life outside from said crappy store/plaza, all the more reason to protect your assets

Actually Koreans at the time were viewed as part of the cause of the racial tension. I posted a link to the shooting death of Latasha Harlins, who was shot in the back of the head by a Korean store clerk in LA. This happened a couple weeks before the release of the Rodney King video. So yeah Korean stores were purposely targeted & bombed because of this. Not saying it's right, just giving the facts of what happened.

Actually Koreans at the time were viewed as part of the cause of the racial tension. I posted a link to the shooting death of Latasha Harlins, who was shot in the back of the head by a Korean store clerk in LA. This happened a couple weeks before the release of the Rodney King video. So yeah Korean stores were purposely targeted & bombed because of this. Not saying it's right, just giving the facts of what happened.

i did not see the link theo, that was my fault for not combing through enough. & yeah, that is some heavy shit that would have a community up im arms & create tonnes of racial tension

im not saying people should have done NOTHING about the injustice that caused all of this; in the bigger picture of things, its good that something this memorable went down despite the loss of life & millions in damage. at the very least, it a deterrent to casually throwing out blatanly racist cases... but the aftermath definitely didnt help the image of wrongfully treated black males in your city [i saw your post in the earlier pages of how a majority of the riot/looters were hispanic... but you know how people were shown that clip of the white trucker getting beat up by blacks on the news (on repeat)]

grey areas of life

pretty sure nobody said they were rich and all i said was they dont have to pay employees cause they work em theyselves.

point is they work hard and probablyare doing better than they appear and if they havnt closed down after a few years there turning a good enough prophit for them to continue dedicating there entire day, every day, to it.

Yeah didn't say the liquor store owners were rich, just was making a correction when someone said they were just regular employees making minimum wage... they own, operate, and work at the store, cutting out the middleman employee they have to pay. Especially if the family owns more than one business, which many do.

The implication being they are doing quite well for themselves, no? I guess we're just arguing over what constitutes "rich."

My point is there is a mistrust of Koreans or asians in general from the black population exemplified by that Ice Cube song about hating Koreans (too lazy to google), and there seems to be this notion that these store owners are doing quite well for themselves running shitty little corner stores in the ghetto. You think it was this motherfucker's dream to move to America and open up shop selling candy, malt and cigarettes in the poorest, most neglected crime ridden neighborhood he could find? Or is he there because with language, culture, and racism working against him that's the best he could do?

Just because a business or piece of property is in the ghetto doesn't mean the person that owns it is living in the same situation. I'd say quite the opposite. Koreans don't live anywhere near the ghetto business they operate.

A lot of shops, businesses, mini-malls, and apartment complexes in the ghetto generally have wealthy owners, or middle class at the least... many white, Jews, many Korean, some are Persian, etc. I was looking at this 80 unit apartment complex in the ghetto and the earnings the owner makes, and it's about 300K a year after taxes. You think that person lives in a shithole too? Especially if the owner owns several of those. The owner doesn't go anywhere near there and hires a management company to do all the dirty work.