April 29th 1992 L.A. Riots

CityonSMASH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latasha_Harlins

The murder of Latasha Harlins was also one of the precursors that led to the L.A. Riots, which isn't as talked about compared to Rodney King. Tupac mentioned her in a few songs. Anyway she was shot in the back of the head by a Korean store clerk, and the clerk didn't get any prison time. It happened right around the same time as the Rodney King beating. So there was more than one incident that created the tension.

The murder of Latasha Harlins was also one of the precursors that led to the L.A. Riots, which isn't as talked about compared to Rodney King. Tupac mentioned her in a few songs. Anyway she was shot in the back of the head by a Korean store clerk, and the clerk didn't get any prison time. It happened right around the same time as the Rodney King beating. So there was more than one incident that created the tension.

damn.

is this what inspired the title of the movie "juice"?

watched the whole thing on channel 5 (fox ny) i remember it being dark here and still light there, first time it really dawned on me that there was a time difference, baseball never made as much of impact as total chaos. my memory wants me to believe i saw the live the beating of reginald denny, but i couldnt swear on it.

• Like 1

watched the whole thing on channel 5 (fox ny) i remember it being dark here and still light there, first time it really dawned on me that there was a time difference, baseball never made as much of impact as total chaos. my memory wants me to believe i saw the live the beating of reginald denny, but i couldnt swear on it.

hell yess

I was in 5th grade and remember the all city curfew,it really put a damper on riding my bike in Carlin G. Smith park for a few evenings.

After the riots my dad took me down to South Central to help clean up some burned out lots and teach me some shit about giving back to the city, it was definitely a weird time in L.A.

i was in the 10th grade. hardly anyone went to school that day. and it didnt matter who knew who..it seemed as if ALL blacks hated ALL whites, and i had friends of all shades. Got to school, and this one girl was crying..i asked why is she crying....over the riots?...and i found out that 2 of our friends had been in the wrong place/wrong time and was involved in a quadruple homicide that had nothing to do with the riots. im trying to find the article. they were hangin with a snitch bitch...and someone was out for her. everyone else just caught the wrath. nasty story. still gives me chills.

• Like 1

My high school in Northern Caly walked out and protested down to the courthouse, a few windows where broken and shops looted even up here. I had a newspaper cut out of a shirtless dude with corn rows and a huge smile running out of a shoe spot with shoe boxes under his arm tacked to my wall for like a year after the riots..

I was in year 8 at the time and my dad was over in SanFran seeing my sister. It was all over the news in Australia as I'm sure it was the rest of the world. My dad bought me home a T-shirt that had pics of flames on it and saying some shit like "I went to LA and it was a riot!".

LA is like a frontier to me. I was full in to my graf days when Colours came out and before that all my focus had been on NYC. I really knew very little about the West Coast and watching colours really tripped me out. The Mexican thing is very foreign to me, especially at that age being a white, middle class, untravelled Aussie. So these colour gangs and the Mexican underclass was a total unknown and that side of life so removed from anything I knew.

I've seen a good deal of the US, east coast, west coast and south but I've only ever flown over or driven through LA. Yet it is obviously one of the world's most well known and publicised cities, being that it has Hollywood and such a massive economy. Yet there is such a huuuuge depth to that place, from the view of an outsider. You have movies like Colours, Boyz in the Hood, Blood in Blood out, Big Lebowski, Labamba, Falling Down, Pulp Fiction, Heat, LA Story, etc. that paint this place like a whole cosmos of its own with a very particular character and culture. Then you have the recording industry, Beverly hills, and so on and it almost seems like there would be no one there that lives a normal day to day life, everyone must revolve around this character some how.

Then you have the whole Mexican and back thing which seems like a whole strata of society completely removed from everything else and everything that I know. LA really seems to be a unique place unlike anywhere else, super rich, poor, violent, glamourous, inglamourous, ocean, hills, desert, plastic people, behemian, and all a hop-skip and jump away from Mexico, which may as well be another planet for all I know about it. Shit, when I Think Mexico I still see the Wild West, movie style and LA is very much a part of that.

I look forward to getting there one day and seeing it. Whilst NYC is interesting because of graf it is a lot like any other Western city to me, just bigger and intensified. LA may end up being the same once I actually experience it but right now it seems like a complete frontier town in the Wild West.

Cool story...

Los Angeles is an entirely different animal from any other metropolis. massive grid of "suburbs" where people dont even really hang out downtown.

first time i flew into la my brain was spinning at the sheer size. reminded me of looking at like simcity. flying over USC was cool then i could see the la river, thought about Terminator2 for a minute then i was like "i wonder if ill see the saber piece" then literally as soon as the thought finished bam. im looking at it. from a fucking airplane in the sky, albeit coming into lax but none the less. from a fucking airplane.

took me a few times going there to really get into it. get a grip on the multiple cities that make los angeles up. the hwy's and the traffic. but now that i have figured it all out. and have friends down there. id move there. i love it. and far from in a way of "glamour and glitz" bullshit. the last time i was there i dont think i was north of the santa monica fwy once. its just mad big and like chill if you want it to be.

neighborhoods can be extremely deceptive tho. you get fooled by the pastel painted houses palm trees and sun and dont realize who and what is lurking all around you in some areas. of course in others its quite clear.

hollywood is kind strange the first time your there. perhaps a little like times square. its an odd feeling once your walking around it and realizing all of what has been recorded/transpired etc etc etc where your at. but where times square really does have that "larger than life" feel about it hollywood is just super laid back. with like all kinds of things happing, but in a chill way. a couple times ago we were on sunset and the homie just randomly asks "yo you wanna go to a tech9ine video shoot" and we walk like 5 minutes down the street and around back into an alley and were now chillin at a tech9ine shoot.

its weird like that.

Yeah L.A. used to be centralized like most cities back in the day. When my dad was growing up, Downtown L.A. was the spot to go... all the movie theaters, clubs, eatings spots, and shopping areas were downtown. Downtown was the main hangout. L.A. once had the most expansive mass transit & metro train system in North America, even more than NYC's... then it became dismantled by the late 1950's. City planners viewed cars & freeways to be the future of transit. Train lines were dismantled and freeways were built. They said L.A. would become a "car city". Many thought it was a conspiracy by corporations like General Motors & the oil industry to profit more by turning L.A. in to a "car city". This subject was touched on in the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" -- well, I'd say it was a huge basis for the movie. So the decentralization was slow & gradual, starting after WWII with the postwar suburb boom, then the early 60's after the dismantling of train lines and building of the freeway system. By the 70's downtown started to go downhill with crime, white flight, drugs, and a new wave of gangs (Bloods & Crips first emerging). Mexican immigration (both legal & illegal) spiked in the 70's and especially the 1980's, turning once-white areas in the Downtown & surrounding area into Mexican barrios.

Re-centralization and gentrification is beginning, and has been over the last 10 years or so. In downtown they're building more lofts & condos, hotels, the Staples Center, L.A. Live center, revitalizing historic buildings, etc. I was watching the movie "Colors" the other day and was looking at Belmont graffiti yard near Downtown, where the kid throws the rock at the cop car. The area was a run down abandoned lot; gang graffiti, trash, abandoned cars everywhere. Today what's there is a large upscale condo and a state-of-the-art high school with professional-looking football fields and gardens and shit. So the city is in the process of re-centralization and are working on expanding the new metro/train system more.

yeah theres some dope lofts popping up down there iv looked into.

another strange thing i like about los angeles is the fact like if youv never been but your familiar with various neighborhoods/cities of the area its weird how actually close they all are within each other yet so diverse. not that you can fucking get to any of them quickly from one another due to the fucking traffic.

as a white dude that likes a little flavour id prolly move around venice. kinda white guy hood. reasonably priced for the most part. lotsa movement. shit happenin. people from all over rolling thru.

i like it there.

Re: April 29th 1992

Stores owned by Korean and other Asian immigrants were widely targeted[19], although stores owned by Caucasians and African Americans were targeted by rioters as well

the crazy korean shop owners buckin shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5ttIHV12s&feature=related

shit, if i travelled halfway across a planet to work in a little store for 12 hours a day, make next to nothing, get treated like shit, THEN a bunch of looters come through using discrimination as an excuse to riot & target my store (that has nothing to even do with the actual cause), id have done the same

props to these old gents, didnt even give a fuck being outnumbered/in the open; they were on some "come & get me motherfuckers, lets kill each other right now" type of shit

this guy & his big crayon :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3K1tM11yC8

first place i wouldve went to is futureshop, then home depot

Those Koreans own the store, they're not just workers making minimum wage.

A lot of Koreans in L.A. have money and live in mini-mansions in places like Hancock Park. Usually it's the doctors, dentists, property owners, etc. I doubt liquor store owners are rich but they usually own more than one business and are at least middle class.

Those Koreans own the store, they're not just workers making minimum wage.

A lot of Koreans in L.A. have money and live in mini-mansions in places like Hancock Park. Usually it's the doctors, dentists, property owners, etc. I doubt liquor store owners are rich but they usually own more than one business and are at least middle class.

straight up. and they work the stores themselves so they aint cuttin nobody else a cheque.

asians have money on the west coast. in fact, i only recently learned there were poor asian people in north america. iv never seen one. i know koreans seem to be on the lower end of the asian financial tree but even still. iv talked before about asian money around the vancouver area that its so engrained. so just "how it is" again, i didnt even know it possible to have poor chinese people, outside of china.

like, its a status symbol up here to have an asian bitch. straight up.

i suppose partially because white people make up a huge majority of the poverty up here. when yer rollin around our neighborhoods these crackheads that you see crawling the blocks like you wouldnt believe are all white. you go to townhouse co-ops. white. you go to the welfare offices, white.

up here you can break it down like this. Asian. Middle Eastern. East Indian(india/pakistan/fiji). Whites. and Native Indians.

Asians = $$$$

Middle Eastern = $$$$$

East Indian = $$$

White = $

Native Indian = 0