April 29th 1992 L.A. Riots

CityonSMASH

April 29th 1992

The 1992 Los Angeles Riots, also known as the 1992 Los Angeles Civil Unrest were sparked on April 29, 1992, when a jury acquitted four Los Angeles Police Department officers accused in the videotaped beating of African-American motorist Rodney King following a high-speed pursuit. Thousands of people in the Los Angeles area rioted over the six days following the verdict.

The riots, beginning in the evening after the verdicts, peaked in intensity over the next two days, but ultimately continued for several days. A curfew and deployment of the National Guard began to control the situation; eventually U.S. Army soldiers and United States Marines were ordered to the city to quell disorder as well.

Fifty-three people died during the riots with as many as 2,000 people injured. Estimates of the material losses vary between about $800 million and $1 billion. Approximately 3,600 fires were set, destroying 1,100 buildings, with fire calls coming once every minute at some points; widespread looting also occurred. Stores owned by Korean and other Asian immigrants were widely targeted[19], although stores owned by Caucasians and African Americans were targeted by rioters as well.

Many of the disturbances were concentrated in South Central Los Angeles, which was primarily composed of African American and Hispanic residents. Half of all riot arrestees and more than a third of those killed during the violence were Hispanic.

the crazy korean shop owners buckin shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5ttIHV12s&feature=related

reginald denny getting his face bashed:

looters talking to reporters after they walk out of stores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3K1tM11yC8&feature=related

la-riots.jpg

wEdSungLee.jpg

apgcc_LA_RIOTS_00540.jpg

reginald-denny.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: April 29th 1992

the only dude to ever admit to having anything to do with Malcom X's murder was released yesterday aswell, which i found interesting. apparently alot of scepticism around that situation tho so who knows what the deal is/was with him/that.

kinda fucked up thought thinkin that guy is out eatin bigmacs with his buddies right now.

Great thread... I was in elementary school at the time... what I remember the first day was going home and watching the news and seeing the mayhem erupt on Normandie & Florence. Everyone was saying stay away from that area. The belief then was that it was a minor flare up and that'd be it.

The next day, I went to school and noticed that not a lot of kids were riding the bus. Then realized not a lot of kids were at school either. It was basically a free day where nothing happened. I didn't realize the magnitude until the end of that school day and looked out in to the horizon and saw the entire sky was black. Thick smoke filled the skies over the L.A. basin. My dad came to pick me up and traffic was ridiculous. My school was in the "white" part of town so wasn't shit happening. By the time we got closer to home, we could see fires up close & in the distance, glass & bricks all over the streets. Blocks & blocks of buildings burned out. I remember most distinctly one record store that was burning because the fire looked fresh -- it was an inferno with thick black smoke, as if it were set about 30 minutes prior. And that was also one of the few buildings that was never rebuilt -- it became an empty parking lot, and today I can drive by it and still see the black scorch marks on what was the foundation. Although they're starting to build something there now, finally.

A very large shopping center near my place that we always shopped at was almost completely burned down. Only 2 buildings were left. At that age I thought it was cool because it seemed so apocalyptic. Cops weren't doing shit about it and only formed a "ring" barrier around the inner city and protected the wealthier neighborhoods.

The rioting continued for maybe another day or two, but was less pronounced. Bush Sr. called in the National Guard a couple days later, which I also thought was cool to see Hummers and soldiers with M16's patrolling the streets and walking among the ruins of burnt out buildings. I remember one guard was stationed at the shopping mall that got burned down, and using a dumpster as a barrier, with binoculars looking in to one of the hoods watching gang bangers do what they do. To me all that mayhem as a kid was exciting because it was a change of pace from the norm.

Sorry for the TL;DR

EDIT: Here's the spot where the record store was: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=34.047187,-118.344928&spn=0,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=34.047266,-118.344897&panoid=JDaGzFWF3VK1dgS4buXupg&cbp=12,278.27,,1,5.12

• Like 1

naw thats dope. you were right there mang. as i made the thread it struck me odd that iv never asked my homies from down there what there expierences/perspectives on the whole thing were. just not something that pops in your head randomly.

im curious about other peoples expieriences that are from the area aswell.

heres an interesting virtually unpublicized byproduct of the riots:

- Los Angeles Business Journal, May 11th, 1992

During the short term, up to 40,000 may be jobless

Bludgeoned already by the recession, the county now stands to lose up to 10,000 more jobs on a permanent basis as a result of the violence and riots which ravaged Los Angeles.

And, say economists, another 30,000 people could be out of work on a temporary basis until their firms rebuild or reopen operations. Though out-of-work residents have steadily streamed into places like the South Central Job Service Center, the number were not overwhelming last week.

I was in elementary school too (6th grade)...I remember seeing the fires and looting on the news. I also remember watching the reginald denny beat down. I remember being worried for my family because most of my family live in l.a., all though none of them live in south central. Then I remember a few days later, rodney king was on tv and he said "cant we all just get along" as I was heating my hot pocket in the microwave.

oh yeah....and one thing i remember the most.....and ive never been able to find the footage of it on youtube....was a white man that had gotten his ass beat and was sitting in the middle of the street dazed and confused...

some people had spray painted him black and were yelling "He's black now!"...and this black preacher went up to him and was helping him by protecting him.

oh yeah....and one thing i remember the most.....and ive never been able to find the footage of it on youtube....was a white man that had gotten his ass beat and was sitting in the middle of the street dazed and confused...

some people had spray painted him black and were yelling "He's black now!"...and this black preacher went up to him and was helping him by protecting him.

I remember that... he was actually Hispanic.

Some other notes:

-Bloods & Crips all over the city called a truce and said they'd focus on targeting cops and looting/burning. I think the truce evaporated in less than a year.

-Following 1992 the black population in South Central & Compton diminished, as they moved to outlying suburbs like Moreno Valley, Antelope Valley, Riverside, Upland, etc. Latinos moved in to fill the void. Latinos now outnumber Blacks in South Central & Compton.

-The majority of the looters were Latino, not Black.

-Although most of the rioting was confined to South Central and nearby areas, some looting & burning did creep up all the way north to "white" areas like Hollywood (including Hollywood Blvd.), and the Fairfax/Miracle Mile area.

-Following 1992 the black population in South Central & Compton diminished, as they moved to outlying suburbs like Moreno Valley, Antelope Valley, Riverside, Upland, etc. Latinos moved in to fill the void. Latinos now outnumber blacks in South Central & Compton.

ya the mexicans far outweigh the blacks down there now. and they run runn runnn thangz.

i have a homie from a set in lennox that was giving me the breakdown awhile back. pretty gnarly. he broke down how to read cholo aswell, like for example how the 'x' 'x' shit works/combines with other shit. its interesting. extremely. them walls do some serious talking down there. crazy shit.

ya the mexicans far outweigh the blacks down there now. and they run runn runnn thangz.

i have a homie from a set in lennox that was giving me the breakdown awhile back. pretty gnarly. he broke down how to read cholo aswell, like for example how the 'x' 'x' shit works/combines with other shit. its interesting. extremely. them walls do some serious talking down there. crazy shit.

"it wouldn't be L.A. without mexicans" -2Pac