Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The gulf coast is finished

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The gulf coast is fucked

What if they can't get it closed? The bottom of the ocean has less data collected on it than outer space, we don't have much experience with working at these depths, and have only developed viable submersables for 25 years max. There's a lot of stuff going on that deep, what if they can't get it closed? They don't really know how much oil is in there... They barely know how oil is deposited at those depths...

Theybare talking now that since the tar balls are travelling in ocean undercurrents the booms do nothing to stop there movement. The projected flow it supposed to toss them as high up the coast as Virginia if it remains unchecked. This might end up way bad if the "top hat" fails, and the backup plan, the "big straw"

naw yall are trippin this shit is under lock. doghair gonna fix this.

Picture3-4-1.png

iv also heard rumours that the red headed cast from the mia video are shackled together by the feet and are hung upside down in the gulf acting as human mops.

• Like 1

Theybare talking now that since the tar balls are travelling in ocean undercurrents the booms do nothing to stop there movement. The projected flow it supposed to toss them as high up the coast as Virginia if it remains unchecked. This might end up way bad if the "top hat" fails, and the backup plan, the "big straw"

i wonder if they would be worth anything.

yes, livingonthenorthcarolinacoastoner

They're hiring people to help clean up. No experience needed... $60,000/year for the next 3+ years.

Friend's unemployed broke ass cousin walked into the worksource while they were having a jobfair, handed a one paper resume and ended up on his way to louisiana.

Yup.

[/color]

My boy got a job, which I'm guessing is just that. $36.50 an hour, 10 hours a day... He's probably gonna do this over summer... He told me anyone that owns a boat that seats atleast 4 and is willing to help out is getting paid even more.

from this site http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0506/How-to-help-BP-oil-spill-cleanup-Stay-home.-Let-locals-do-it.

I found "The Vessels of Opportunity program is hiring local boatmen for as much as $2,000 a day to deploy containment booms and perform other tasks on the water.

didnt you read lex, ITS OLD NEWS, just forget it and it will go away. They will get it closed, but its not if, its how and when. At some estimates of 70000 barrels of oil a day, thats a huge hit. And they are all pointing fingers at each other.

Its crazy to me that they can drill that deep, but they cant fix a hole that deep. I dont understand why they cant cork it. Even as a temporary fix, just plug it. The straw probably wont work, but who knows.

It's real old news.

Look up the Ixtoc1 oil spill, I'm not gonna link you, look it up.

It's one of the worst oil spills in US history.

And it happened in the Gulf.

What happened to us after that?

they cleaned up the spill in SF bay with mushrooms.

why arent they doing that there?

because they want to save the oil, not the environment.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I dont see any oil here, its fucking MYSTERIOUS!

neither have my cousins in Bmore, how about swamp? you got any oil on RH? No? we good then, must be a media conspiracy...

also on top of the fiery oil hurricanes, they are talking about the potential for years of toxic acid oil rain impacting the mainland ...

http://www.wdsu.com/news/23660238/detail.html

NEW ORLEANS -- The official start of hurricane season 2010 is just a week away. And as the oil spill grows in the Gulf of Mexico, so does the concern as to how tropical storms may influence the direction in which the oil may head.

Dr. Remata Reddy, who studies and teaches tropical meteorology at Jackson State University, said winds along the surface of the Gulf push the oil.

"Direction and intensity is important as to which direction the oil is moving," Reddy said.

He said if a tropical storm were to form in the Gulf, there could major ecological problems for residents along the Gulf Coast. If a storm were to travel to the east of the oil spill, the concentration of the oil would head to the center of the Gulf, he said. If the storm would travel to the west of the oil spill, the bulk would be thrust up against the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coastlines, Reddy said.

"No one can tell me how much oil is below the surface and if a hurricane comes, the hurricane will stir it up and in the form of tidal surge," said Jefferson Parish Emergency Management Director Deano Bonano. "There's no boom, no plan in place to protect us."

And some say it doesn't have to be as severe as a hurricane to cause severe damage. Leaders in St. Bernard Parish are fearful of the possibility of wind, water and oil pushing inland.

"A tropical storm could lift oil and contaminated water to the marsh and to the eastern and residential areas as well," said St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro.

Ken Graham, of the National Weather Service in New Orleans, is forecasting where the oil is heading.

"This is unprecedented," Graham said. "We don't have a lot to draw from experience with this type of scenario."

Reddy said the stronger the storm, the worse the damage could be.

"For example, if it intensifies to a category 4 or 5 storm, then you generally expect a greater storm surge -- somewhere between 15 to 18 meters in height," Reddy said.

That's about 20 yards high and about 10 miles in from the coastline, which would coat homes and businesses and pollute waterways and damage crops.

Tropical storms usually form in the far eastern Atlantic early in the season. But as the Gulf heats and the oil continues to spill into the open waters, that concern and storm potential will grow together, Reddy said.

As oil evaporates and comes into contact with a tropical storm, the chances of acid rain falling within the storm are possible, Reddy sai