The gulf coast is finished

TreSixO

Re: The gulf coast is fucked

didnt you read lex, ITS OLD NEWS, just forget it and it will go away. They will get it closed, but its not if, its how and when. At some estimates of 70000 barrels of oil a day, thats a huge hit. And they are all pointing fingers at each other.

Its crazy to me that they can drill that deep, but they cant fix a hole that deep. I dont understand why they cant cork it. Even as a temporary fix, just plug it. The straw probably wont work, but who knows.

It's real old news.

Look up the Ixtoc1 oil spill, I'm not gonna link you, look it up.

It's one of the worst oil spills in US history.

And it happened in the Gulf.

What happened to us after that?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

also on top of the fiery oil hurricanes, they are talking about the potential for years of toxic acid oil rain impacting the mainland ...

http://www.wdsu.com/news/23660238/detail.html

NEW ORLEANS -- The official start of hurricane season 2010 is just a week away. And as the oil spill grows in the Gulf of Mexico, so does the concern as to how tropical storms may influence the direction in which the oil may head.

Dr. Remata Reddy, who studies and teaches tropical meteorology at Jackson State University, said winds along the surface of the Gulf push the oil.

"Direction and intensity is important as to which direction the oil is moving," Reddy said.

He said if a tropical storm were to form in the Gulf, there could major ecological problems for residents along the Gulf Coast. If a storm were to travel to the east of the oil spill, the concentration of the oil would head to the center of the Gulf, he said. If the storm would travel to the west of the oil spill, the bulk would be thrust up against the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coastlines, Reddy said.

"No one can tell me how much oil is below the surface and if a hurricane comes, the hurricane will stir it up and in the form of tidal surge," said Jefferson Parish Emergency Management Director Deano Bonano. "There's no boom, no plan in place to protect us."

And some say it doesn't have to be as severe as a hurricane to cause severe damage. Leaders in St. Bernard Parish are fearful of the possibility of wind, water and oil pushing inland.

"A tropical storm could lift oil and contaminated water to the marsh and to the eastern and residential areas as well," said St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro.

Ken Graham, of the National Weather Service in New Orleans, is forecasting where the oil is heading.

"This is unprecedented," Graham said. "We don't have a lot to draw from experience with this type of scenario."

Reddy said the stronger the storm, the worse the damage could be.

"For example, if it intensifies to a category 4 or 5 storm, then you generally expect a greater storm surge -- somewhere between 15 to 18 meters in height," Reddy said.

That's about 20 yards high and about 10 miles in from the coastline, which would coat homes and businesses and pollute waterways and damage crops.

Tropical storms usually form in the far eastern Atlantic early in the season. But as the Gulf heats and the oil continues to spill into the open waters, that concern and storm potential will grow together, Reddy said.

As oil evaporates and comes into contact with a tropical storm, the chances of acid rain falling within the storm are possible, Reddy sai

yeah I dont see any oil here, its fucking MYSTERIOUS!

neither have my cousins in Bmore, how about swamp? you got any oil on RH? No? we good then, must be a media conspiracy...

I talk to alot of commercial fishermen @ work, they come through all the time.

I haven't met a person yet who has seen it, all they say is so and so seen it!!!

But not one person I talk to has witnessed any crude oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm not saying it isn't there, I'm saying it's not affecting the Northwest Region of Florida yet.

They said we should have oil on our beaches like 3 weeks ago, nothing.

:confused: :confused:

I swam in the gulf friday after working out, it was glassy as far as the eye could see and 3 or 4 dolphin swimming 50 yards off shore. I am not lying get your asses down here before it takes a turn for the worse.. /nocitycouncilmember

dude (to lex)

you live in a completely different part of the gulf... wait another month.

heres something

my dad has been working in kuwait for the past 4 years with drillers and riggers.

They all told him from the jump that BP's estimate of 5,000 barrels a day had to be wrong, considering deep wells have a default pressure of 25,000-30,000 barrels a day, withou any pulling power from the pumps. now the estimate is at 10-19,000 a day, but according to well riggers thats still underestimated...

so youre in florida... on the other side of the coast. Its not there yet. oil not being in florida is about as relevant as oil not being in the eastern seaboard at this juncture. You really dont think this shit is a big problem? Even if oceanic undercurrents keep the oil from ever reaching the eastern gulf, it doesnt mean its not a problem

In fact my dude, you look like a mad asshole to people i know in nola who DO have oil all up in their shit, and my boys in Houston who are mad pissed they cant go to the beach for the next 2 years... my homie came HERE for the memorial day weekend BECAUSE OIL IS ALL UP IN THEY SHIT. The gulf aint revolve around florida by any means, yall arent near the shit...

whoa whoa whoa..pull the brake lever on that hate train my du I said nothing of the sort. I merely stated that in this part of the gulf, the most relevant to me, there is no oil to be feared and that the water is still enjoyable.

I have a heart for everyone to the west of us here whose lively-hood may be in jeopardy. I feel just as poorly for all of the wild-life in the gulf who are subject to worse fate. come on man, get your head out of the sand i'm not a fucking child like that.

• Like 1

dude

you live in a completely different part of the gulf... wait another month.

heres something

my dad has been working in kuwait for the past 4 years with drillers and riggers.

They all told him from the jump that BP's estimate of 5,000 barrels a day had to be wrong, considering deep wells have a default pressure of 25,000-30,000 barrels a day, withou any pulling power from the pumps. now the estimate is at 10-19,000 a day, but according to well riggers thats still underestimated...

so youre in florida... on the other side of the coast. Its not there yet. oil not being in florida is about as relevant as oil not being in the eastern seaboard at this juncture. You really dont think this shit is a big problem? Even if oceanic undercurrents keep the oil from ever reaching the eastern gulf, it doesnt mean its not a problem

In fact my dude, you look like a mad asshole to people i know in nola who DO have oil all up in their shit, and my boys in Houston who are mad pissed they cant go to the beach for the next 2 years... my homie came HERE for the memorial day weekend BECAUSE OIL IS ALL UP IN THEY SHIT. The gulf aint revolve around florida by any means, yall arent near the shit...

I heard that the number of barrels spilled so far is in the hundreds of millions.

whoa whoa whoa..pull the brake lever on that hate train my du I said nothing of the sort. I merely stated that in this part of the gulf, the most relevant to me, there is no oil to be feared and that the water is still enjoyable.

I have a heart for everyone to the west of us here whose lively-hood may be in jeopardy. I feel just as poorly for all of the wild-life in the gulf who are subject to worse fate. come on man, get your head out of the sand i'm not a fucking child like that.

was talking to lex man all good

"They have got an armada out there....probably in the $5million/day spread cost, if not more......

This will be the biggest disaster of our time. I doubt if BP will be able to remain in the US after this."

"They have got an armada out there....probably in the $5million/day spread cost, if not more......

This will be the biggest disaster of our time. I doubt if BP will be able to remain in the US after this."

Let's hope not, but there are factors to consider:

1. Americans are harping on the gov to get off of Saudi oil

2. We may be forced to pay for at least half the cleanup (thanks big oil dick lips congressman and senators)

o_oil_storm.jpg

I own this shit on bootleg

gets more eerily prophetic as time goes by

Oil Storm is a 2005 television docudrama portraying a future oil-shortage crisis in the United States, precipitated by a hurricane destroying key parts of the United States' oil infrastructure. The program was an attempt to depict what would happen if the highly oil-dependent country was suddenly faced with gasoline costing upwards of $7 to $8 per gallon (as opposed to the national average of around $2 per gallon when the show first aired). Directed by James Erskine and written by Erskine and Caroline Levy, it originally aired on FX Networks on June 5, 2005, at 8 p.m. ET.

The crisis arises from a hurricane wiping out an important pipeline at Port Fourchon in Louisiana, a tanker collision closing a busy port, terrorist attacks and tension with Saudi Arabia over the oil trade, and other fictional events. The program followed several fictional people, being portrayed by actors, in various situations (a couple that owned a mom-and-pop gas station, stock market and oil analysts, government officials, etc.), and includes a substantial amount of human drama.Contents [hide]

1 Detailed synopsis

2 Real-world events partly anticipated by the film

2.1 Hurricane Katrina

2.2 Automotive layoffs

2.3 Attacks on Saudi refineries

3 External links

[edit]

Detailed synopsis

The movie deals with the impact that a fictional Category 4 hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico would have if it hit New Orleans, destroyed large numbers of offshore oil rigs in the Gulf, and crippled the primary nerve center of the Gulf Coast petroleum industry at Port Fourchon, Louisiana. It shows how the effects of that disaster could have significant consequences throughout the United States, even in areas far removed from landfall.

While the loss of life and property in the storm is staggering, the greater impact is on the crippled energy industry. Due to the destruction at Port Fourchon and in the Gulf, oil prices skyrocket, and the U.S. government is forced to take immediate action to rebuild the Gulf's energy infrastructure. Once the storm passes, the government starts to rebuild the infrastructure at Port Fourchon (requiring a minimum of 8 months) and repair or replace damaged offshore rigs (requiring a similar amount of time). Also, shipping that would normally go to Port Fourchon is rerouted to the Port of Houston, and Houston's port facilities work around-the-clock at higher-than-usual throughput, with attendant higher risk of accident.

With widespread gas lines and prices over $3.00 per gallon, the U.S. persuades Saudi Arabia to increase its oil production by 1m barrels a day. The Saudi decision to aid America causes a backlash among a restive Muslim population already energized because of the US invasion of Iraq. Local terrorists stage an attack on an upscale shopping mall in Riyadh which (after intervention by Saudi special forces) kills about 300 Americans associated with multinational oil companies. This attack leads the U.S. to send troops to Saudi Arabia. In the meantime, the oil crisis escalates when two large tankers collide in the narrow Houston Ship Channel, shutting down the Channel.

Once winter sets in, gas lines take a back seat to critical shortages of heating oil during a bitterly cold winter, with thousands dying in the cold. Some time after the Houston accident, on Christmas Eve, the same Saudi terrorists blow up sections of the mammoth Ras Tanura refinery complex, killing 142 U.S. soldiers who were protecting the Saudi oil infrastructure. With a government budget crisis due to military and economic pressures, farm spending is cut dramatically, leading to a subplot in which the social and political effects of this are explored. Oil prices reach $130 per barrel, and gas prices top $8 per gallon.

In the spring, the U.S. makes a deal with Russia to send 8m barrels of oil by tanker, but the oil companies involved subsequently make a deal with China, which, equally hungry for oil and with greater financial reserves, outbids the U.S. This leaves America in a state of chaos, as well leading to soul-searching on whether China has now become the world's economic superpower. The country considers fast-tracking development of alternative energy sources, but there is little that can be done in the short-term to alter an economy structurally dependent on cheap foreign oil. Later, the U.S. government, showing unexpected diplomatic skill, resurrects the Russian oil deal (by agreeing to a $16bn long-term investment in its oil industry), and the China-bound tankers change course to the U.S. The crisis finally eases a year after the hurricane, with Port Fourchon back onstream, with oil prices dropping from $130 per barrel to $77 per barrel and with gas prices just below $4 per gallon, but the country has been through a stress as great as the Stock Market Crash of 1929, and will never take cheap oil for granted again.

[edit]

Real-world events partly anticipated by the film

[edit]

Hurricane Katrina

The events of Hurricane Katrina, its economic impact and the ensuing price increases nearly parallel some of the events in the movie. However, the damage to US oil infrastructure was less severe than in the film, and the lack of the compounding events (shutdown of Port of Houston, loss of some of Saudi Arabia's supply) means the consequences of Katrina are much less than of the fictional Julia. However, especially given the coincidence of dates (in the film, Julia strikes in early September 2005), the similarity of the early impact of the two storms has been noted.

On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was on a direct path to hit Port Fourchon and New Orleans. Many of the initial scenes of Hurricane Julia were playing out in real life with Hurricane Katrina, such as the mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, the opening of the Superdome as shelter, and the changing of traffic to contraflow. On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina did not directly hit Port Fourchon but across Barataria Bay at Buras, but nonetheless some oil rigs were damaged. Saudi Arabia agreed to increase oil production to help. [1]

On August 30, 2005, many gas stations raised prices by a considerable amount putting most of America over $3.00/gallon, as shown in the movie. [2] On September 1, 2005, gas stations throughout the country began to run out of fuel due to worries of mass shortages. Some stations in Atlanta, Georgia sold gas at nearly $6/gallon. Most of this was due to panic buying, as noted in the film, rather than physical shortage. Subsequently, as the extent of the damage became clearer, prices eased.

The casualty numbers shown for New Orleans is also startlingly close to the casualties of Katrina. The Movies shows a little more than 1700 while the official number for Katrina is a little more than 1500.

[edit]

Automotive layoffs

Both Ford and GM announced layoffs and plant closings in late 2005 and early 2006. However, while one reason for the layoffs was increased gasoline prices, it was not the sole reason for the layoffs (e.g. incompetent management). In addition, the layoffs were on a much smaller scale than the ones shown in the film. However, this is nowhere near the current GM crisis in which General Motors has asked for Congressional assistance (November 2008) and its very existence is at stake. [3]

[edit]

Attacks on Saudi refineries

In the film, al-Qaeda makes a terrorist attack on the oil facilities at Ras Tanura. On February 24, 2006 al-Qaeda attacked the nearby facility at Abqaiq, though no damage was inflicted on the facilities themselves