Scientists Attempt to Create a Star..on EARTH

!@#$%

omfg this is quite a long article.

Livermore, California (CNN) -- Scientists at a government lab here are trying to use the world's largest laser -- it's the size of three football fields -- to set off a nuclear reaction so intense that it will make a star bloom on the surface of the Earth.

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's formula for cooking up a sun on the ground may sound like it's stolen from the plot of an "Austin Powers" movie. But it's no Hollywood fantasy: The ambitious experiment will be tried for real, and for the first time, late this summer.

If they're successful, the scientists hope to solve the global energy crisis by harnessing the energy generated by the mini-star.

read the rest:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/04/28/laser.fusion.nif/index.html?hpt=C1

or a shorter article:

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2010/04/28/massive-livermore-lab-laser-to-create-tiny-star/

this?

large_Laser%206-01-09.jpg

or this?

Death-star-1.jpg

:lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You realise that the sun is a star and not considered that big in relation to others right?

You also realise that the sun is over 6000 degrees celcius on its edge. Which means, if I die cause some jackass sets off a star on earth, I will go up to heaven and beat the deading (I can't saying living :P) crap out of him. It'll be a damn smackdown.

Any miscalculation and we are going to get fried. The sun is X amount of space away, imagine the sun right outside your window.

Does no one else feel like this is possibly maybe just a LITTLE dangerous?

Yea, the sun works because of it's mass, not enough raw hydrogen and gravity here on earth for a sustained fusion on a large enough scale to burn you.

I'm more interested in the lazer itself and if it can be used effectively (in a safe manner) to annoy people in movie theaters.

My layman common senses are tingling... wouldn't the presence of gravity immediately disperse the 'star'?

I mean, where would it float? what would it orbit?

What would hold it together if not stable, empty space-vacuum?

I don't think we can imitate space phenomena within the earth atmosphere/direct gravitational field. Then again Im too lazy to check out what they mean by this star, I doubt it is a little bright ball floating in air just by itself.

You realise that the sun is a star and not considered that big in relation to others right?

You also realise that the sun is over 6000 degrees celcius on its edge. Which means, if I die cause some jackass sets off a star on earth, I will go up to heaven and beat the deading (I can't saying living :P) crap out of him. It'll be a damn smackdown.

Any miscalculation and we are going to get fried. The sun is X amount of space away, imagine the sun right outside your window.

Does no one else feel like this is possibly maybe just a LITTLE dangerous?

And you realize that these are people who have spent countless hours studying to receive accreditation, degrees, and publications on topics that the general public can only hope to understand in the simplest of terms?

You also understand that when articles like this get written they are in those simplest of terms? The use of "sun" and "star" in these articles is akin to talking about creating a "black hole" on earth with the LHC at CERN.

I'm not sure if they are affiliated, but there is a group that has proposed a supposedly extremely cheap way of doing this sort of fusion through lasers. I'm assuming it's not since this is at Livermore National Labs and last I heard (like five months ago in a report on NPR) this other group was still seeking funding for proof of concept.

at any rate, cheap fusion would be a blessing for this world.

Fuse on scientist, fuse on.

^ Yeah. I mean, I am positive that the humans who believe they have the intelligence to create a star have thought of most every possible variable in this experiment.

Like turning it into a weapon?

If they screw up and turn the East Bay into a cinder, it's been nice talking to all you folks. Maybe we'll catch up in the afterlife.

we're always looking for an easier way out, and they don't usually work.

but we'll see. it is fascinating. i do wonder about the 'containment' or harvest of said star and energy

i'm not worried about them accidentally destroying anything, but scientists do make some simple errors sometimes that result in complete failure of their project.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a bbc documentary all about this earlier on this year. It took you to see how far the US had taken the experiments also to seet the South Korea K-Star, the world's first super-cooled, super-conducting fusion reactor.

If ever someone pulled this shit off (vertualy free energy) we would still be charged for it! that is the funny thing.

here you go found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcyH7QE7rU

if you watch to the end you will see the predictions for the date the sientists think that they will succeed.

hee hee hee

"And, in those recent years, the project has fallen a year off schedule, the GAO says, with the expected completion date for the research now at the end of 2012."

hee hee hee

lol....2012

I saw a bbc documentary all about this earlier on this year. It took you to see how far the US had taken the experiments also to seet the South Korea K-Star, the world's first super-cooled, super-conducting fusion reactor.

If ever someone pulled this shit off (vertualy free energy) we would still be charged for it! that is the funny thing.

here you go found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcyH7QE7rU

if you watch to the end you will see the predictions for the date the sientists think that they will succeed.

if it works hype will be created about its dangers. the idea will get shot down so muthafuckas can profit off you and i.

• 4 weeks later...