MIA Born Free

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article from the official news agency of a country that blocks youtube...., go figure.

M.I.A video restricted by YouTube

English.news.cn 2010-04-28 14:33:56 FeedbackPrintRSS

BEIJING, April 28 (Xinhuanet) -- YouTube has restricted a video promoting British artist M.I.A giving it an adults only rating.

The video hosting site took the decision due to the graphic nature of the 9 minute film. The video, directed by filmmaker Romain Gavras, depicts red-haired people being rounded up and executed, a child being shot through the head and a man being blown apart in an explosion.

Saul Austerlitz, author of "Money for Nothing: A History of the Music Video from the Beatles to the White Stripes" pointed out that the video's director is the son of Costa Gavras, a noted filmmaker whose work has also blended politics and entertainment.

M.I.A.'s video also took inspiration from the 1971 film "Punishment Park," written and directed by Peter Watkins, Austerlitz said.

"Punishment Park" is a "movie about a totalitarian state where young people are rounded up, brought out to a deserted area and essentially told if they could outrun the police, they could live, but that the police would basically be hunting them," Austerlitz said.

Whether an attempt to shock or make a political point, M.I.A has confused fans and Twitter was alive with comments. One user who goes by the name @ziggy0stardust appealed to the artist for her explanation saying, "@ M.I.A. can u tell us what u were tryin to say wiv the born free vid please [sic]". Others were evidently shocked. Another Twitter user wrote, "I just watched M.I.A.'s new music video for "Born Free" and now I feel like throwing up. What an awful, awful video".

The video, which promotes M.I.A's track Born Free, was initially available to everyone accessing the site but has now been given an 18-plus age restriction. This means only registered users may play the video. The restriction prompted the Mercury Music Prize-nominated star to post a series of ranting messages on Twitter. She initially claimed that her U.S. record company had pulled the video from YouTube. But shortly afterwards she backtracked and said the firm was not to blame.

The video can still be viewed at her YouTube channel, as well as on her own website. A spokesman for YouTube said, "With 24 hours of video uploaded every minute to YouTube, we are unable to comment on specific videos. Our policy is to age-restrict content that has been flagged by the community and identified by our policy enforcement team as content that, while not violating our community guidelines, is not suitable for users under age 18."

i enjoy her music.

i'm hoping the new album will be at least at good as her other stuff.

sure, not for everyone. but it's good we have some female artists putting out some attention grabbing shit that has meaning behind it, instead of just flashing her cooter. meh, i'm sure i'm in the minority.

• Like 1

I made a thread for this in crossfire yesterday, thinking it would just get flack from retards here (Correct!), but I'll throw my two cents in here as well.

I think the idea behind it is neat. If you don't get it than you probably should click on the ICP Miracles thread and get back to working on your next goofycat.gif. Anyway I think its neat in the fact that it could have been done by U2 or black eyed peas or some other bullshit artist. However, they would have pussed out and done it all wrong. It's the content and the way the idea was executed that gives it strength.

I think both the video and the song are great individually and they are incredible when they are put together. That opening scene with the guy smoking rock as song slows down behind it is fucking money. It's nice to see someone on the cusp of fortune and fame do what they want and not come out with the same old shit. It's commendable. Either way I can guarantee you that this song wont be on your little sister's ipod.

She's a Tamil, right?

Well yes and no. I mean her father was a high ranking official for some time, but i dont think she had any actual affiliation. And aren't they relatively dormite now after the recent events?

But this is exactly what i was thinking about while I was watching it.

What is she trying to say? what is she trying to prove?

yeah, her dad was part of the Tamil Tigers.

and i think the sri lankan gov't has for the most part done them in permanently

personally, i think she is using redheads instead of arabs in a scathing indictment of the methodology of the US police and or armed forces. she's somewhat familiar with the oppression of a minority group by a violent regime.

and i don't think she's trying to prove anything, except maybe that women musicians can be relevant.

I like Romain Gavras (the director)

But this is still a pop song and it is a HUGE SUICIDE RIP-OFF....I don't give a shit if the track is sampling a loop off of them, it is done way too obviously.

M.I.A is a psuedo-political cornball anyway.

vegaSuicide78.jpeg

yeah, her dad was part of the Tamil Tigers.

and i think the sri lankan gov't has for the most part done them in permanently

personally, i think she is using redheads instead of arabs in a scathing indictment of the methodology of the US police and or armed forces. she's somewhat familiar with the oppression of a minority group by a violent regime.

and i don't think she's trying to prove anything, except maybe that women musicians can be relevant.

Hmm, don't count them out just yet, they still have a few centers, however one did take a pretty hard hit in the Netherlands yesterday and anther in Malaysia a few months back. They have internal issues that are causing more to fall than would normally.

Without seeing the clip as yet, I'd suggest that she may be referring to Tamils. There have been previous rumours that she was assisting in their funding, before Prabarakan was awarded his third eye, anyway.

Might actually watch the clip and see the song yet too!!