New MIA Music video banned

TheGreatGatsby

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i remember a really ignorant girl i used to hang out with saying that she wouldn't listen to MIA because she was supposedly a terrorist or something, i just laughed at her.

i watched this video, honestly... compared to the violence we see on regular sitcoms now of days this video isn't even that bad. i think the overall message of the video was a lot deeper then 99% of the other rap music videos we see, so its a shame that it got banned anywhere.

what i got from it was, you see the cops going around rounding up all the white dudes and killing them. so i assume if it was a bunch of brown people it wouldn't be that offensive, but since it is white people with red hair for some reason it strikes a nerve. i'm assuming that was the whole point.

i remember a really ignorant girl i used to hang out with saying that she wouldn't listen to MIA because she was supposedly a terrorist or something, i just laughed at her.

i watched this video, honestly... compared to the violence we see on regular sitcoms now of days this video isn't even that bad. i think the overall message of the video was a lot deeper then 99% of the other rap music videos we see, so its a shame that it got banned anywhere.

what i got from it was, you see the cops going around rounding up all the white dudes and killing them. so i assume if it was a bunch of brown people it wouldn't be that offensive, but since it is white people with red hair for some reason it strikes a nerve. i'm assuming that was the whole point.

She does supposedly have ties to the Tamil Tigers, but I thought they surrendered or ended their campaign last year.

No shit its deeper than 99% of rap videos, this wasnt even rap. There was no money, hoes, or bling. Cannot be a rap video.

And im assuming your either a miniority, or a liberal.

The fact they were white had nothing to do with it.

It was all about authroity rounding up a segment of people based on a common appearance factor, in this case redhair. Your right in thinking it could be significant for any minority group, but this video wasnt about race its about oppression of a minority group in the sense that they arent like everyone else so they were rounded up and killed off.

Like this country has done before, the japanese being a perfect example.

Good shit though, I actually really enjoyed it and felt it was wlel done and the music fit well.

I think the idea behind it is neat. Neat in the fact that it could have been done by U2 or black eyed peas or some other bullshit artist. However, they would have pussed out and done it all wrong. It's the content and the way the idea was executed that gives it strength.

I think both the video and the song are great individually, and they are incredible when they are put together. It's nice to see someone on the cusp of fortune and fame do what they want and not come out with the same old shit. It's commendable. I can guarantee you that this song wont be on your little sister's ipod.

• Like 1

funny, i looked for a thread before staring one in CH0 but nowhere do you mention this video's name so it didn't some up in the search.

anyway, MIA's father was a Sri Lankan freedom fighter, and that prolly means he was part of the Tamil Tiger org.

also, i think the 'banning' was a publicity stunt.

I guess there's two sides to the publicity argument. Will more people see the video now.... maybe. There's an Andy Warhol quote that goes something like "I don't read what the press says about me in papers, I measure it in inches." So yes she will get some press from this, but i don't think it's publicity for the sake of publicity, I think she's actually trying to make her point heard and she's doing it well. Like I said before I think the idea is alright, It's the way it was done that makes it great.

A month ago there was all that hype over a Lady GaGa video and it was a total piece of shit. People hype her up to be this genius Madonna or David Bowie rebel. See article below of MIA trashing Lady GaGA. I cant help but think that that was on her mind when she made this. http://pitchfork.com/news/38426-mia-flips-off-twilight-lady-gaga/

oh wow, another new douchebag.

gatsby i agree, i don't think it was publicity for publicity's sake, as she is not that type of "look at me" celebrity like so many of these so-called performance artists.

she has a message unlike so much pop music today, it's refreshing.

Having a connection to the Tamil Tigers is like having a connection to the IRA.

Not even, I think the IRA are doing better than the Tamil Tigers.

Yeah id say so since they just bombed a spy agency last week.

I dont really know how you could one up that unless you took a shit on the president's desk.

• Like 1

I liked the video cuz it seemed to be low budget and shot in a Gorrila style.

And to say that Tamil Tigers arent official, look up the aftermath photos and say that to the kids wiht limbs missing. Fuck them, and the IRA.

She supposedly said she cut all ties to the group to which her father was I believe a high ranking dude in the group. So yea, its a bad look to br afiliated, but she went on to wear shirts in her videos with Tigers and the symbol on her album was the Icon for the Tigers group. I don't know what thats all about but its something to raise awareness, I dont know if Id call someone ignorant for believing it. I'd be more likely to call someone ignorant who didnt pay attention to those obvious things she was trying to do early on in her career when she didnt think that many people where paying attention.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...