reasonably serious topic

abcs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

actually im lying, im not in a band play any instraments or sing. but if i was in a band thats what it would be called. and i would wear a piano keys tie with a crew cut w/lines shaved into both sides one three one 4 to signify absolutely nothing.

and shelltoes. and billabong shorts. with fila socks. and a brightling watch.

actually im lying, im not in a band play any instraments or sing. but if i was in a band thats what it would be called. and i would wear a piano keys tie with a crew cut w/lines shaved into both sides one three one 4 to signify absolutely nothing.

and shelltoes. and billabong shorts. with fila socks. and a brightling watch.

cochran_wideweb__430x253.jpg

Hobbies do wonders for old folks. Woodworking has kept my gramps quite sharp at 83. He has a far better memory than I do. Anything that stimulates the brain is great. My grandma (RIP) was very good about keeping up with current events, reading the paper, and constantly doing crossword puzzles.

Find a hobby he likes and get him involved. Old heads fucking love war stories, be it from their own time or ancient shit. Go watch some history channel war docs or visit some battle fields or war memorials. As the years pass I find myself getting more and more into them.

Whatever you are able to do for him, however small, you probably wont regret. Old folks have tons of knowledge to share, if youre willing to listen.

The scoop is my grandpops in his 80s. Worked his

whole life. Saved every penny top tip. When i

talk to him he tells me how lonely and bored he is but I

can never think of anything to suggest he do.

i hate to be civil with you, but, i'm in almost the same situation, but with my dad. He's 73, not bad, but still dealing with his retirement pretty hard. Constantly lookin' for busy work, he's been working on a '60 chevy stepside that we used to work on when i was little. He's still got my mom, but i can tell he's itching real hard to get out and do shit.

Between my work schedule and starting a small business i haven't had enough time to chill with him at all... My parents go down south half the year to take care of my mom's adoptive parents, i take care of their house while they're gone. So essentially, i only have 6 months out of the year to chill with him in the first place.

So now, that he knows I'm trying to open a business, so, whenever i'm around he's like "why aren't you workin' on your business boy?" and i'm like "cuz i'm tryin' to see you today pops" and he always says the same shit, don't waste my time hangin' out with him, go get shit done. I know it's his insane-o work ethic talking but wtf man, i'm tryin' to chill with you and shit, chill out.

Now onto the medical weed shit... My parents know i'm a card carrying patient and grower. My dad thinks its cool, he doesn't smoke, but my mom hates it. Constantly screaming i'm going to end up in a coffin or some other crazy shit. My uncle (on my pops side) had lung cancer and i've been telling him that cannabutter will help him with his eating (after kemo). My dad's for it, but my shithead mother won't stop calling my aunt and telling her how "horrible that weed is" So now there's this giant fight between my uncle, pops and me, with my mom and aunt.

Ugh, can't believe i'm saying this, but if you need help gettin G-pa a med card, i'm sure i can help you out...

props will be spread. Im 24d but i appreciate those of

you that have responded. Its a difficult situation. I suppose

im not the only one with shit like this going on.

The more i think about it weed seems like a real good

solution. I dont kno if or how i would break the ice on that one.

But seriously. Get the old man a med pot card. Sit him down

in front of some cartoons get him laughing. Set him up a sick

grow room. Between growing the shit and smoking the shit

thats a pretty acceptable outlet.

this.

My granddad used to ask my dad questions about pot when my dad was a kid. I figure when i'm at retirement age, i'll be on the med list and will probably spend a lot of time tending my gardens. It takes constant attention, and can kind of act as company.

Also, a pet is a good idea to help people not feel lonely. It has been proven (not sure by who, but i thoroughly believe it) that pets help elderly people avoid/prevent senility.

But seriously, i can't wait for laws to be passed in the right areas to allow people to receive beneficial thc therapy. :D

edit - bump civility. it's kinda rare around here...

this is a lot like what i go through with my own father, as people have already said.

i dunno, most women have a longer life expectancy but my mom had a teribble illness for decades. it left my dad in this position of being desperately needed all the time for serious shit that was very demanding.

then she died.

now he has tried some volunteer work, such as teaching english as a second language

he likes it and it gets him out of the house but he only does i tonce a week.

he doesn't get much human interaction

the man has plenty of hobbies, like playing guitar and riding his bike and gardening

but hobbies don't cure loneliness.

he is very healthy so i expect him to be around for a long ass time.

i've started to try to convince him to move. it would be a big undertaking, and might be great for him to get away from the house he shared with my mom for so long.

a new environment could do him good

but he's too depressed i think to have much interest in doing anything

(he won't admit to depression but i can see it)

i thought when my mom died he'd be freed up to do so many things they couldn't because she was so bad off. but he won't plan anything.

i relate to your plight.

Buy and teach him how to use a laptop. Grandpa must know of dogwhale, 4chan, and get emailed a link to lemonparty before he passes on.

On the serious side: Go talk to him, man. That's where you come from. He probably has a whole ton of shit to tell you about your family history and when you know that you get a good idea of who you are.

A long time ago I started a family tree. My grandparents talking to me about our ancestors got me on that kick. They were overjoyed at what I found. Even got them in touch with long lost relatives.