AZ Signs 1st Anti-Immigration Law

Gat Bush

also i just read this

Mayor Gavin Newsom's administration expressed no reservations Thursday over a new national fingerprinting program that critics say could undermine San Francisco's sanctuary city policy.

The federal Secure Communities program, which launched in 2008, is being phased in nationwide. It effectively takes away the ability of local officials to decide which suspects booked into jail should be brought to the attention of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

Next month it will start in San Francisco. In the Bay Area, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano and Sonoma counties recently implemented the program, but report they've seen few changes.

"Sanctuary city policies were never meant to protect criminal behavior," said Newsom spokesman Tony Winnicker. "At the end of the day, federal officials should enforce immigration laws. We report. We don't deport."

Currently, the San Francisco County Sheriff's Department only reports felony suspects whose immigration status can't be verified to ICE.

Next month electronic fingerprints of suspects already sent to state justice departments for criminal background checks automatically will be forwarded to federal immigration authorities.

Jeff Adachi, San Francisco's elected public defender, said he is troubled by the prospect that people booked for even minor offenses could be swept into the federal immigration system.

"If we begin deporting everyone ... you run the risk of creating a situation that undermines our ... sense of treating people fairly and due process," Adachi said.

The program's goal is to deport all those who are eligible. However, resources are limited, and priority will be given to violent and serious offenders, said Randi Greenberg, the chief of outreach for the Secure Communities program.

That doesn't mean the reach won't be expanded later, said Supervisor David Campos, who entered the United States illegally as a teen and later became a citizen.

"I don't know if anyone knows all the ramifications of this until it goes into full effect," he said.

Secure Communities officials said Thursday that the program has been a boon for public safety while costing local law enforcement officers little in time and money and removing the potential for allegations of racial profiling.

From October to March, more than 1.9 million digital fingerprints were submitted to Secure Communities. The prints, ICE officials said, were compared to a database containing more than 100 million people who had past contact with immigration authorities.

Some 212,000 matches were made, leading to 56,000 immigration arrests or holds. The program is likely to lead to more deportations.

In fiscal 2008, 114,415 people with past convictions were removed nationwide, and this year authorities are on a pace to deport more than 150,000 such people, records show.

The program so far has made few waves in the Bay Area. Alameda County jail just joined the program on April 22.

Sheriff's Lt. Jim Farr in Alameda County said he has seen few changes. On Thursday he had 155 inmates with immigration holds, a number that he said had not changed significantly.

The Sonoma County jail joined the program on March 2. That month, ICE said, the jail submitted 1,780 fingerprints, leading to 185 matches - including 14 who were either arrested, or convicted in the past, for a serious or violent crime.

Immigration agents then arrested or put a hold on 68 people, and 29 have already been deported.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/07/BALO1DAQ7F.DTL&feed=rss.news#ixzz0nIi0cVb2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the root of my argument was that all able bodied males currently seeking citizenship should enlist into the armed forces and serve the country they want to live in.

How funny we are talking about this. I just listened to a similar topic on National Public Radio..

" An estimated two to three thousand non-citizen vets of US wars face deportation. "

Non-Citizen US War Vets Facing Deportation Despite Military Promises of Citizenship

We take a look at the threat of deportation that non-citizen veterans of American wars continue to face despite US military promises of citizenship. We talk to Rohan Coombs, a Jamaican-born US vet who was in the US Marine Corps for six years and served in the Persian Gulf War. He spent eight months in prison for a marijuana-related conviction. The day he was to be released he was told he would be deported. He speaks to us from an immigration jail. We also speak with immigration attorney Craig Shagin. [includes rush transcript]

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/5/non_citizen_us_war_vets_facing

sorry man, if you cant even at least partially practice what you preach, you are an idiot and should simply be brushed off into the rubbish can. no need to try these 'greater good' arguments on anyone. the left's policies are so erroneous and hideous that they cant even live how they want everyone else to. even the soviet commisaar's enjoyed capitalism and their country estates.

I told myself i wasn't going to respond but i can't resist.

What is the point of discussion and an argument to you? Is it to go off on rants and attack one another with condescending remarks? Or is it to come to a better understanding of the issue at hand through an exchange of ideas, points, thoughts?

The point I am trying to make here brother is that just because Al Gore has had in the past a strikingly high utilities bill, it does not make what he has to say in "Inconvenient Truth" false. He is full of shit in the sense that he is not doing all he can to lower his impact on the natural world, but that doesn't make him a liar AOD, that makes him a Douche. What you are experiencing is an informal fallacy of logic, Ad Hominem (Against the Person), and further more you are passing that flaw in logic down to the entire environmental movement.

Also looking back, you don't even come close to producing the classic arguments against organic agriculture for anyone to even debate with you about in an intelligent "truth seeking" manner, but instead bash the character and preconceived ideologies of the "leftist hippie/yuppie scum" type.

Eco-conscious people can only do what they are financially able to do. Not everyone can afford to shop organic but that doesn't mean that recycling cans and eliminating plastic bags from everyday use is fruitless. Stop Hatin' Playa!

The point I am trying to make here brother is that just because Al Gore has had in the past a strikingly high utilities bill, it does not make what he has to say in "Inconvenient Truth" false. He is full of shit in the sense that he is not doing all he can to lower his impact on the natural world, but that doesn't make him a liar AOD, that makes him a Douche. What you are experiencing is an informal fallacy of logic, Ad Hominem (Against the Person), and further more you are passing that flaw in logic down to the entire environmental movement.

i never stated that what the environmental movement promotes is necessarily 'false' i merely stated that their ideology and their policies that they support are so hideous that they cannot even live by those policies themselves, YET they want to force the entire population of the world to. can you see a difference? sure, i agree pollution is a problem, recycling certain things is good, etc. however if you cannot lead by example and convince people of your ideas without force, i dont care what you are preaching... its just morally wrong and if you cant practice what you preach in at least some way you are a hypocrite. i prefer non coercive freedom oriented solutions to the 'problems' to the extent that they do exist and actually are caused by what the 'experts' say they are caused by.

as far as the ad hominem attacks, etc... i am more critical of the green movement because of its general nature. it's entire movement is based on TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO and running the lives of others. should one be a bit hostile towards that? do you get a little hostile when an anti abortion christian group wants to take over the govt and tell everyone how to run their lives under penalty of law for non compliance?

Also looking back, you don't even come close to producing the classic arguments against organic agriculture for anyone to even debate with you about in an intelligent "truth seeking" manner, but instead bash the character and preconceived ideologies of the "leftist hippie/yuppie scum" type.

i was not engaging in a debate about organic farming its self because more or less i support it. i support anyones right to grow food how they want and for people to eat what they want. what i do not support is the preachy nature of the movement, the critique of capitalism followed by the ultimate goal of eliminating 'capitalist free trade' food in order to replace it with 'local organic fair trade' food. because i understand economics, i know that they world cannot be fed using these methods. i also know that if one takes the local organic food to its logical conclusion, only eating food that you or your neighbor harvests, are diets will be bland, subject to food shortages, etc.

i was also attacking the hipster side of this culture that doesnt understand the basics like 'organic' does not necessarily mean 'local' and that they are just doing it because everyone else is doing it. they have no real concern for their 'health' as a lot of these same hipsters promoting all the local organic stuff are smokers, drug users, alcohol abusers, etc. not to mention the ones preaching the loudest about only eating local food or you will die... are the ones that are the first to love to go out to fancy international restaurants and buy imported crazy exotic food at a super market. there is some serious logical and ideological disconnection going on in the minds of some of these people.

Eco-conscious people can only do what they are financially able to do. Not everyone can afford to shop organic but that doesn't mean that recycling cans and eliminating plastic bags from everyday use is fruitless. Stop Hatin' Playa!

now this is just a low down attempt to try to take the moral high ground. you know doggone well that the bulk of my 'organic foodies are hypocrites' or 'greens are hypocrites' or 'main stream lefties are hypocrites' is directed at the al gores, the michael moores, the rich types that have it within their power to live however they want to, do whatever they want with their money... yet michael moore makes movies about capitalism and the evils of the stock market yet he invests in the stock market and engages in evil capitalism whenever humanely possible and al gores carbon footprint is probably bigger than the entire state of montana's. if all the environmental movement stopped pussy footing around and put their money where their mouth's are... private money could buy up whatever lands they thought were endangered and it would be privately controlled by the greens who would probably be the better stewards of the environment than anyone else. although i think they would learn quick that 'wilderness area's ' with no roads might burn pretttttty quick if they follow the same policy the govt has taken out west. these billionaires could surely shovel out some cash to some foundation to buy up whatever mosquito swamp, rattlesnake sanctuary or leech infested pond they want to protect and to top it off, they would protect it better than a government.

now, my idea of an environmentalist is eustace conway. this guy is the real deal. read the last american man if you havent. this guy started out without 2 cents to rub together, soon enough he found ways to buy 1000 acres in western north carolina outside of boone and literally created his own nature preserve. he isnt no bmw bolshevik environmentalist either. this guy hunts, shoots guns, eats meat and teaches others how to be one with nature. do you see a difference between this guy and the environmental movement as a whole that generally consists of urban hipsters, bmw bolsheviks, limousine liberals, rich upper or middle class people?

and hell, even these guys http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/2010/03/15/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/ are getting their organic food for free courtesy of the tax payers. reminds me of all the anti state, against authority train hopping gutter punks i've ran into that had 'independence' cards. (independence card... is that like 'jumbo shrimp' or 'liberty tax service' or 'government intellegence?' paging orwell...)

but its not as though this movement is the only movement based on hypocrisy.... the next one that comes to mind is the 'pro life' movement that favors mass murder of civilians, predator drone attacks, torture, rendition, secret prisons, and supports obama's new policy of assassination of american citizens without due process.

just saw this on iGoogle

Arizona bans ethnic studies in public schools

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/12/arizona.ethnic.studies/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

(CNN) -- Fresh on the heels of a new immigration law that has led to calls to boycott her state, Arizona's governor has signed a bill banning ethnic studies classes that "promote resentment" of other racial groups.

Gov. Jan Brewer approved the measure without public statement Tuesday, according to state legislative records. The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people."

The bill was pushed by state school Superintendent Tom Horne, who has spent two years trying to get Tucson schools to drop a Mexican-American studies program he said teaches Latino students they are an oppressed minority. There was no immediate response from the Tucson Unified School District, the law's main target.

Brewer's signature comes less than a month after she approved a state law that requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance. Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

talk about getting serious with an issue...

this was almost as disturbing as the Texas Board of Education completely removing Thomas Jefferson from the new textbooks. They took out all references of Thomas Jefferson. Fucking amazing. They deleted my favorite founding father.

ARIZONA IS UMAD

L.A. Mayor Dismisses Warning That Arizona Could Cut Off Power Over Boycott

By Judson Berger

- FOXNews.com

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Wednesday defiantly rejected a warning by a top Arizona utilities official that the state could cut off power to Los Angeles should the city proceed with its boycott of all things Arizona.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/#discussion-form

• 4 months later...