Digital Photography talk thread, noobz welcome (questions & answers)

Mercer

If you're going for a live view screen go for a camera with a flip out live view.

It will make shooting interesting angles easier as opposed to what most of us do.

With my camera I have to either guess what it looks like or hold the camera up to my face at the same boring angle I always shoot.

That's always bothered me and I really wish my live view was better and flipped out.

Somebody needs to invent an flip out iphone dock fo Nikon with live view and gps geotagging.

I wouldn't worry about the photo stitching software, that shit is a cheap gimmic.

It's useful if you're just shooting for fun and not looking for a high quality image but it's not really the best way to go about stitching a photo.

Besides, It takes about 5 clicks on photoshop to make it stitch all your shit automatically.

The computer can take it's time and line the shit up right without loosing image quality.

If you have photoshop just google "photomerge panoramic" and you should get a few videos.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sony now has the flip out live view adjustable for high and low stuff..i use it frequently, but the Sony a55's live view flips out, only top turn the screen towards the camera, to protect it when not in use, but it is not adjustable for low/ high stuff.

im still shoppin.

Thx wafflecake & Mercer.

Hey SM, I just skimmed over what you were after and I'll throw my two cents in too. Personally I think the flip screens are a little gimmicky, especially on a DSLR but that's a personal choice if you use them or not. I never use the live view and I think after a while of using the viewfinder you get used to it and you may even like to use it more. Although I understand when you're just taking photos through your day to day the viewfinder is nice and quick to use.

As Mercer has said, Sony doesn't offer as much support/accessories as the main contenders on the market. I've always felt they're more of a general electronics brand. Have you had a look at any Pentax cameras? That'd be another good option, I've heard a lot of people put down their cameras just because they aren't Nikon or Canon but they work just as well, I mean they've been producing cameras since what, the 1950's?

You should check out eBay or local stores/classifieds and look at some of the older models which may not have the nifty new features but will work just as well. I made the mistake of jumping straight into a brand new camera and while I don't regret it I realised I could have halved the cost and got somewhat the same results on an older camera. I mainly shoot film now though so buying second hand cameras is all I do, haha.

Definitely shop around a bit more though, check out some Pentax stuff if you haven't and read some online reviews of all the brands/models (Don't listen to Ken Rockwell too much, he has technical knowledge but he's just an old fart who takes photos of his kids). You'll find information on other photo forums/blogs which should help you.

Oh and as for magazines, I wouldn't really grab any of them. Most of the print on shelves is packed full of advertising, competitions and big "LEARN TO USE YOUR DSLR!!" text. But it's all recycled content. Again blogs and forums will teach you more then most publications. Years of lurking and a handful of accounts later I think 12oz and other forums have taught me more then anything, just from having people to help you out and interact with.

onnod-

i have a few friends that would trust me with their cameras..both are nikon.

but as mentioned, it does come down to a personal preference.

all the little things you dont realize until your doing it..ie..button placement.

bought a lil point and shoot from walmart a few yrs ago..it had a week (or some small time frame) where it could be returned, even if used..no questions asked.

da1ly-

the live view vs view finder is because of a physical impairment.

didnt you just come up on that camera?.

im so not there yet.

gotta crawl before i walk.

Like I said, I just skimmed over it, working. Tried to give you a detailed response. I didn't read why you used live view. That's my bad. Sorry.

Which camera? The last DSLR I got is my D300s which I got about a year ago now. I've owned other DSLR's before that, and the ones prior I wish I'd have got a second hand one or older models for that period. For the 'crawling' period.

Obviously you have to crawl before you walk, but I'm saying the magazines are all the same. You've got a much better chance picking up knowledge on blogs or on here. Like I said, recycled. The content is advertising and the same unhelpful generalised guides.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks.

i hope to post some stuff soon..but it is intimidating in there. haha

but ill put my big girl panties on and try.

as far as one of my concerns..after a weekend of fuckin with it..ive already got used to the view finder.

I caught myself with my Sony..(which I always used live view) puttin it up to my eye.

also learned real quick to use it with both eyes open.

funny how you can train your body to step up when needed.

now let's see if I can step up as well.

Fixed focal length or are you after a wide zoom? Nikon will set you back a fair bit for their ultra-wide lenses. The 24mm or 28mm is probably not wide enough for what you're after and they're the cheaper options.

Check out Sigma or Tamron and see what options they have for wide primes or wide zooms. They'll be your cheapest option and the sites should show an example of the lens.

Something like this maybe..

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_II_wide/b001.html

Something like a 10-20mm would be good for what you're after. I don't think you'd want to go as wide as a fisheye just because of the huge amount of distortion. Unless you correct it in PS of course.. 20mm+ is probably not wide enough either.

Just having a look around the Sigma 10-20mm seems to be one of the common recommendations.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Sigma%2010-20mm

Check out some of the photos, I'm sure that's wide enough at 10mm for what you're after

• Like 1

ite, just took a job with this company taking pictures for them. they're

telling me i need to get a new flash for my camera, a nikon d3100. i

would love to avoid spending $100-$200 on a new one, so i sent them

the specs on my camera to see if that'll work. if they say no, gotta get

a new one, anyone got advice for me, wether that be where to buy it,

what kind i should get, etc. if you read this far, thanks for your time.

I was on a budget a while back, grabbed a Sigma flash. No manual controls but it swivels and does all the fancy shit you need. I think I got it for under $200. Maybe it was on sale.

Either way, just look at after market brands, there's a few that are alright.

Or look into older Nikon flashes. SB-24 or something. You'll get one of those for like $150.

Better then the $300+ you'll pay for the newer flashes. I generally buy cheap/older flashes anyway because I only use them when shooting film.

I use an SB-600 (Nikon) it was under $300 brand new, bet you could score one for $150 used.

Good flash with tons of features like zoom, a built AF illuminator, full manual/auto control settings and TTL..

Best feature is it has a wireless commander mode that doesn't require a pocket wizard to fire remote.

Nikon has a pretty awesome lighting system if you're into portability and price.

I could see having another 600 with a 900 and that being all the lighting I'd ever really need outside of a studio.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

At the studio i was working for i had 2 sb 900s and 1 sb800.

both of these models come with a removable base and filters so that i would at times set one on floor one on hotshoe and hold one with the left hand. lots of fun to play with for sure.

the one setback i saw to them <all flash heads in general really> is that they tend to overheat under fast paced low light conditions. at least i would constantly overheat my unit.<under extreme conditions>

mind you that the sb800 needs 5 batteries when using the detachable quick recharge whatever its called.

i would recommend you take 2 or 3 battery sets per flash head just in case.

these are very strong versatile lights.

• 2 weeks later...

My mate showed me that, I wasn't too sure on it. I've seen something like it a while ago too. I tend to wear shitty belts that break with too much strain so I don't think the clip and myself would get along too well.

And generally when my camera is out of my bag, it's in my hand.

Although I can see it would definitely be good for people hiking and stuff, times when you don't have room in your bag and don't want the camera strap swinging around.

I'd most likely put it on my backpacks shoulder strap, my camera might be too heavy for my belt and I'm not trying to rock a weightlifter belt.

The body on my camera alone is a little over 2 pounds or about 3 times the weight of an entry level DSLR like a rebel.

When I slap a lens on it gets pretty heavy, I have about a 3 hour limit on tolerating a neck strap.

I'm also in either a crowded or tough environment most of the time, where the ability to use both hands is essential unless I am continuously shooting.

Even then it's a little unnerving knowing if I drop it it will hit the ground.

Yeah for sure, D700 right? I guess that wouldn't be too bad on the bag strap, but definitely would be dragging on the belt. I'm mainly rocking the F4s now which is about 1.5kg with the grip/lens all on there so I'm in the same boat with the weight. I guess you'd have to see how it would be having one shoulder sitting with 2 pounds more then the other.

I guess I'm comparing Sydney to New York in being able to walk around camera in hand. Our streets can get pretty busy but nothing in comparison. Although I'd still be worried lifting it off the clip that I might fumble and drop it, with the strap I know it'll just fall and catch my neck/shoulder. I can be pretty clumsy though, haha.

These guys are supposed to be pretty on top of the game with straps that have good mobility/accessibility

http://www.blackrapid.com/

But I guess if you've got a backpack that's not really an option. I always have a bag on me so I've never thought too much into fancy straps beyond the standard ones.

gear.jpg

My usual set up nowadays, backpack with an external flash and other essentials, a tripod that secures well to the outside, and the camera.

I know it seems like a bit much but the tripod is essential for time lapses and the external flash is essential for a shooting style I"m working on.

I'd like to attach the camera to the strap opposite of the side the tripod is on while I'm just walking around.

Either that or create a method of clipping it to both backpack shoulder straps in a way that would allow me to lift it high enough to shoot with.

Nice, that's not too bad. I could see it fitting well on the other strap now. Since I've got this new bag I don't really need anywhere to hang my camera because I can just swing the bag around and grab it. Hold it for the time I need to and slip it back in. I guess you can't really do that with a backpack with a tripod attached.

This is what I'm often dragging out. Kiev 60 - Nikon F4s - Nikon L35. And some 120+35mm film.

Sometimes I'll leave the Kiev and take a flash instead, and drag a tripod along. I've been trying to get into using stobes at night to light certain areas of a photo - off camera.

dsc4804c.jpg

That Capture clip is pretty cool. Might have to kick out the $50 to get one. I really don't like neck straps for any extended period of time if I'm actively moving around, so I usually end up going back and forth between having it on my neck and using my neck strap as a makeshift wrist strap.

• 1 month later...

So I am probably going to buy this guy right here.

00722_nikon-85mm-review.jpg

I currently have a D5100, but I am considering getting either a D7000 or a D300s to upgrade. I love the D5100, I haven't had any problems except tiny things with the kit lens. Does anyone own both D300s and D7000? I know the 300s has less megapixels, but it is a few hundred more that I have seen online.

If I dont end up getting another body, Ill probably save a little bit longer with the money left over and get a 10-24mm lens too. It is my first time investing in glass, or lens.

Suggestions? Things I should stay away from?

Thanks.