Digital Photography talk thread, noobz welcome (questions & answers)

Mercer

I'd suggest opening up to Nikons starter cameras, rebels tend to suck from what I've seen.

I know several people that have the Rebel broken flash bug and those plastic kit lenses suck.

I see higher image quality from Cannons Point and Shoots than I do from Rebels, don't know anything about the 60d though.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I highly disagree with that statement. My homie absolutely kills it with an old XSI and he just got a t2i. Its not the camera, it the person behind the lens. Also, the Canon "nifty-fifty" plastic lens is a great kick ass starter lens for only $100. My advice would be to worry more about what kind of lens you are getting than the camera body.

Go with the cheaper body so you can spend more money towards a dope lens and if you find yourself needing the perks of a higher model camera you can upgrade in the future (since they release new bodies about every year). I think the only advantage of the 60d over the t2i is frames per second when you're shooting action sequences and the number of AF points.

5413658235_170da741d7_z.jpg

My first attempt at skate photography last weekend. I think if you are going to use a one flash setup for skateboarding you should buy yourself an off camera - shoe cord so you can hold the flash off to the side for better effect. Most skate photographers use multiple flashes with radio triggers and all kinds of crazy shit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If syuck with only those two choices I'd go with the rebel XS if I was being serious about photography.

They're both a step up from pocket cameras but are on the low end.

The kit lens on the rebel sucks, but the cool thing is you can always upgrade the lenses on that camera.

The sx300 comes with a better lens out of the box but it's built in and cannot be upgraded ever.

Plus it's not an SLR so it's just like having a good "point and shoot" and not really useful for learning advanced techniques in photography.

If you're open to suggestin I'd recommend this camera for that budget range:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25462/D3000.html

Go on Ebay and cop a used one (that the seller is including the manual and packaging like new) for less than $300.

So many of these up for grabs with barely a few shots taken, this would guarantee getting the most for your money.

You'll be golden with that and not stuck with a useless plastic shit kit lens.

I am about to buy a DSLR. I had been holding off for a little(4 months now) to see what new cameras come out. It seems as though there is always the new thing out. Its like a movie. Anyways, my 3 options that are within my price range are as follows:

Option #1

Sony A55

Option #2

Canon T2i

Option #3

Nikon D5100

Im curious if that a55 is any good? I first wanted to go with the Nikon but I figured some of you may own a similar model.

To me they are all good cameras, but if I could get some feedback as to Lifetime, and any little spec that will drastically change the quality or effect that would be cool. They all seem to record in HD video which is a plus for the work I do, and while reading the spec descriptions they seems to have similar parts and capabilities.

Thank you.

I'll put it like this, Sony makes good shit, but it isn't any better than Cannon or Nikon.

For this reason Cannon and Nikon have the advantage by way of availability of accessories.

You have a wide range of after market accessory choices since 80% of the industry uses one or the other.

For this reason alone I'd eliminate the Sony from the jump, not as many choices when it comes to lenses or lighting.

That leaves you with the Nikon or the Cannon and here's where it gets tricky.

Cannon seems to be the industry standard for studio photography on digital cameras under $9000, they tend to have higher megapixels.

Nikon seems to have the advantage when it comes to outdoor use or more journalistic photography since they have better ISO performance generally.

So that pretty much makes them about even as far as a brands as a whole.

From what I can tell so far the D5100 takes better photo's and the T2i takes better video.

My personal preference for Nikon makes me lean toward the D5100.

Thanks for the Advice Mercer. I had heard once before Canon was great for studio work, I think Ill slide more towards the Nikon since I doubt I will ever use it in a studio setting.

I do enjoy night photography as well so it seems like a plus. Thanks for the fast response I was about to go check them out at a store.Peace.

Yea, the examples were a dollar for dollar account on what makes better sense for each situation.

For the same price of a D300s you could own a 18MP cannon 7D and have larger images to work with in post.

Nikon doesn't have anything above 12.1MP available for under $8000 as of right now.

The fact that the Cannon has poorer ISO performance wouldn't be an issue if you worked in controlled lighting at ISO100 all day.

You're just better off going with the ISO performance Nikon can offer in the same price range if you're not focused on working in controlled lighting.

Pretty much what Mercer said, he knows what's going on. Good advice. I guess it really comes down to aesthetics and what feels better in your hands. I'm with Nikon for the SLR/DSLR range but Canon for their compact cameras. I've always shot Nikon so when moving to the DSLR that was a simple choice.

But as Mercer said, Nikon really seems to appeal to people shooting a photo journalistic style or low light shooting. The high ISO performance is better and they cut down the megapixels to do so, and generally Nikon auto focus is better.

I'm gonna tell you to go for the D5100, but again, go to a store and ask to hold them and see how they feel for you.

There will be big changes this year.

I heard reliable rumor from a photographer that works for Nikon, they're releasing a D700S this year.

It's supposed to come with a 22MP sensor and be under $3000, Nikon could soon take over the studio as well.

I cant wait to graduate and be able to invest in some nice glass and new bodies ^. Thanks for the information folks. Looks like Im going with the Nikon. My wife owned a T1i and feels less durable than the D5000 (5100 releases in a few days). Ill contribute some new flicks in the photo thread once I get it in. Peace.

Yeah I think that's one of the reasons I stayed with Nikon, their bodies feel more durable to me. Well, I know they're durable because mine got knocked off a bar table onto concrete without a scratch.

Exciting news about the new releases, gonna keep my eyes peeled. The full frame Nikon bodies are killer as it is, can't wait to see how they change up their game.

There will be big changes this year.

I heard reliable rumor from a photographer that works for Nikon, they're releasing a D700S this year.

It's supposed to come with a 22MP sensor and be under $3000, Nikon could soon take over the studio as well.

Sony has had a 24.6 MP Full Frame DSLR for under $2000 for a while now.

Yea, but then you'd have a Sony camera.

Again, nothing against the image or physical quality of their cameras but...

How many tilt shift lenses can you choose from for a Sony?

How many telephoto lenses can you choose from?

When you start investing in that level of equipment chances are you'll need more than a slim selection of lenses.

That is the advantage with Cannon and Nikon DSLR's and why even Mamia and Hassleblad don't bother tapping into the full frame and lower DSLR's.

It just doesn't make any sense, you'd be surprised how essential a lot of these specialty lenses and accessories are.

Sure you could get by with just a few lenses, but why limit your choices for the future?

I thought the same thing, and while the selection of lenses available for Sony isn't that of Nikon or Canon, you'd be surprised at how many there actually are. Sony bought Konica-Minolta and uses their alpha mount system, so Minolta lenses work, Tamron makes a bunch not to mention Sony's own and Carl Zeiss.

Sony's lack of accessories is the only downside in my opinion.

So, Nikon vs Canon?

just kidding.

you guys are great for sharing this inside stuff.

I am going to read this thread thoroughly,go play hands on at the camera store and report back..hopefully within a month to show you guys what I decided on.

I am soooo not good at making decisions.

Mercer, I have read this all and I know NIKON is your choice.haha

(I was just being a smartass)

window shopped the other day.

Nikon D3100

w/ 1855

$750.

Nikon D7000

w/ 18-105

$1500

Sony a55.

w/18-250

$850

-store didnt even bring out a Canon.

after reading each page..I see the common feeling is-Sony doesn't offer much as far accessories go. I have a lil Sony now, but its a daily driver, I like it, but Im over upgrading a little bit each time I decide to buy another camera. I dont really want to upgrade anymore.

You also said to beware of the little gimmicks new stuff offers, which Sony has a few that might make or break it for me.

For instance..all my little point and shoots have a live view screen, which I use about 99% of the time. That 1% that I try, I get raminded that with the facial palsy I have, when I keep one eye closed for more than a few seconds, my (bad side) face cramps up. Unless I learn how to really concentrate and train myself to use (good side) eye w/o needing to close the bad side. The Sony has a live view. It also has the panoramic shot available.

I know eventually I will learn how to stitch panos, but it is still the face thing that is concerning.

I also know that stores will sell you what they want to sell you, so I am taking my sweet time, going to check out a few different stores, online ..etc.

Just felt like rambling on I suppose.

Also, Do you guys like /read any publications that are on the racks about digital photography? Do these mags provide anything knowledgable?

If so, any favorites?