just lost a best friend

delonemonkey

Well, i know i am not the only one on here who has had it happen. I am still in shock right now, i cant even cry. To those who know how i feel, how did you get through it? What was it like?

rest in peace jake.

here is an article about what happened. Im not sure if this thread is even a good idea but i dont even know what to do.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/cyclist-fatally-struck-in-brooklyn/

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Lost my best friend in similar fashion. Best thing for you to do is get together with a group of your friends and family that knew him and talk about all the good times. It's a horrible feeling, it sucks really bad, but you'll get through it. I'm sure he would have wanted you guys to celebrate his life. Sorry for your loss man. RIP to your friend.

One more thing. Be there for his folks...it means a lot to them to know there son had many friends.

Damn shame. RIP.

Best advice I can give you to cope with it is to not seclude yourself and dwell on it constantly. Obviously, you're gonna need some time alone, but you should also continue trying to go about your normal life. Spending time with mutual friends is also a really good way to reminisce on the good times and get/give some support at the same time. As Hater said, definitely try to be there for his parents as well. As rough as this is on you, it's 100x worse for them.

Shit like this takes a long time to get through, so just keep your head up as best you can. Everyone has different methods of coping, so try to find one that works best for you. Don't be afraid to talk about it with people either, because that's a lot better for you mentally than just bottling up all your emotions about the whole situation.

Edit: Also, i don't suggest turning to heavy drinking or drug usage as a coping mechanism. I know it's still fresh and you're probably going to want to get all sorts of fucked up for a week or so, which is completely understandable, but don't let those few days or a week turn into months of trying to curb your emotions with substances.

Sorry for your loss man.

I know what youre going through..i lost a close friend i grew up with from the age of 6 three years ago this may 28th.

he was only 25.

best way to get through with it is to spend time with family and friends...especially people that knew him to, so that you guys can share stories and keep his memory alive.

Sorry man, its never good to hear of such things. I agree with a lot that as been said. Definitely dont keep to yourself. Stay good with family and friends. OF course everyone needs some time alone but dont let yourself fall into a rut. One of my uncles passed the same way. Being a cyclist as well Im always wary of things like this happening to me.

Keep your head above water. Dont drown yourself with booze or other drugs. Ive fell into heavy drinking over losses and its take a lot to get out. Not saying drinking is bad but just be careful.

bury him.

smoke blunts.

lots of blunts.

blunts blunts blunts.

that still wont numb the pain,

but it will make the time pass.

when grieving, blunts are key.

also, pour his favorite brand of

alcohol out for him, i find that helps.

its symbolic, like he's still here, and you still care.

shit like this is hard, and makes you a colder person if you let it.

your homie would want you to live a full life, so go to every

concert, block party, art show, one night stand, camping trip,

skydiving expidition, etc. that you can, in his honor

i lost 2 people close to me this week 3 years ago, it still feels fresh.

find a coping method and stick with it... thats the best advice i can give.

and the person who mentioned comforting their parents was on the money. 100% true. it's very difficult for them.

rest in peace.

I lost one of my best friends about 6 months ago.

It was probably the hardest period of my life, I couldn't even bring myself to go to his funeral, which is weak as fuck and i regret it everyday.

rip able 2.

seriously I hear you on this one.

I lost a mate while I was living in london and he was living in melbourne.

I could of made it back but I didn't have the cash and I didn't want to borrow it.

shit move on my part...

running into his mum three years later was a serious slap in the face

BUT back on point

Rest in Piece Jake

So sorry for your loss delonemonkey

This sucks. Condolences for sure.

In my experience this never gets better, ever.

You just end up dealing with it in your own way.

Make sure you don't go do anything dumb in the meantime.

There is a reason cops have to ask you a list of questions when you get arrested pertaining to close friends or relatives dying recently.

DAMN , i cant relate to this alot. ive lost family members and even a girl i had relationship with.. its very hard at first . just that taught that u wont see em talk or laugh with you again just gets u... but be strong and always remember the good times. . know that your homey up there is lookin down on you and wants to see you keep ur head up and on your best conditions .. keep your head up .. and talk to him . hes listening. tell him you love em man. . and never forget how much he ment for you.. RIP TO YOUR HOMEY. IM POURING A LIL LIQOUR FOR HIM , stay strong ,,

R.I.P. Jake McDonaugh.

To the original poster, I know how you feel; I've lost people close to me before too. The best thing that you can do is just know that he's in a better place, watching over you; guiding you in everything that you do. He'll still be your friend, even though you can't see him. Remember the good times that you had with him, and never forget them. Always know, that he's glad that you care about him.

I know it might sound weird, but it's good that you feel bad; it shows Jake, wherever he is, that you're a true friend to him; if you weren't you wouldn't be torn up about what happened to him. I'm sure that means more to him that anything else ever did.

My condolences. Jake, his friends and family, and yourself are in my thoughts and prayers.

R.I.P Jake.