Home Brew 2010 Edition

vharkano

I started with a couple Brewers Best kits. A pale ale and a blond I think. They both turned out pretty good considering they were my first brews. A triple might be a little trickier, but those kits are basic and come with pretty good instructions.

I've been slacking on brewing in the last few months. I'm thinking of a wit for the summer, but I better get on it soon.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

03626795.jpg

Coopers Dark Ale approx 5.3%

Have left it bottled for about a month now and although pretty gassy/too much head, it actually tastes nice.

Yea those kits are pretty much what Im doing at the moment but would love to get into doing it all from scratch ... Need to look into getting all the gear for it. Currently using a plastic fermentor but have been looking into bigger stainless steel jobbys on ebay.

my buddy is getting into this shit

he's on his 19th batch

he built an automated bottling line run by a programmable logic controller (or some shit like that?) for it. still gotta cap 'em by hand though.

ill get some pics the next time im there to post.

Yeah I started to look at it all and it is going to cost a bit for a nice set up, but for me wine is first and like I said Im going to have my hands full with it. I could look into larger stuff when it comes to wine but this year is my first year up here so I dont know the possible yield I have with my vines. They were never kept up before the house was purchased so things are mad over grown, produce beatuifully but over grown. If I prune the living crap out of them this winter to bring everything back to norm Ill lose production for up to 3 years :-( Messy vines and I get produce. Clean em up and Im stuck without it for a while. Ill post up on how my beer turns out, I should have everything buy Wednesday :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Guess Im the only one thats been busy..sheit. This thread was like 10 pages back ahaha

Grapes are not in yet... but got me some beer goin...

beerv.jpg

some blackberry wine brewing...

balck3.jpg

some lickuhs...using everclear for more of a neutral flavored alcohol. Sorry for some reason the pics keep getting twisted the minute i upload them.

Liqueur 44. 1 orange and 44 coffee beans inserted into it.

nice44.jpg

Fig

figskin.jpg

Fig, orange, and vanilla bean

figorg.jpg

Green Pecan Nocino with orange peel, cinnamon, and vanilla bean

nocinocin.jpg

Green Pecan Nocino with orange peel and vanilla bean.

nocinovan.jpg

The mason jars are just jars I had that I could seal.

Youre supposed to use Green Walnuts but Im using Green Pecans in substitution.

And I kinda just ran with it..didnt exactly follow a recipe.

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/nocinoro.htm

The Liqueur 44 was something I stumbled across searching out the Nocino

http://www.instructables.com/id/44-Orange-Liqueur-Recipe/

The fig ones I just did for the hell of it since I have two fig trees and some left over vanilla bean for the nocino

Heres the Nocino now..

nocinodark.jpg

well i know what a mason jar is :lol:

i meant about whats in them, thanks for the links though.

ive always messed around with infusions, started way back when i first discover PJ. i mostly just fuck around with pineapples, blueberries and strawberries because i have access to bucketfulls of them.

done 2 batches this year.

a simple english brown ale

bottled a mad dog ipa last week.

still doing stovetop 5 gallon batches.

need to get a turkey burner.. my neighbor hooked me up with a homemade wort chiller. fuck ice baths...

mad dog ipa

Bold and hoppy about 7 or 8 per cent alcohol content. Definately for mad dog brewers.

Ingredients:

* 8lbs dry malt extract lite

* .5lb crystal malt

* 4oz choc malt

* 3 oz galena hops

* 2 oz cascade hops

* 1oz saaz hops

Primary Ferment: 10days

Secondary Ferment: 7days

i like to do really cheap wines with juice concentrates, sugar, and yeast. good to have for those nights when you need a cheap drunk.

bottled the beer today 45 out of 5 gallons. There was just a ton of sediment for this batch. Beligian Triple 8.5% abv

jared018.jpg

Racked my blackberry wine so it can clear as well.

jared016.jpg

going to start a batch of Skeeter Pee tomorrow using the blackberry lees

the hell is skeeter pee?

my buddy is getting into this shit

he's on his 19th batch

he built an automated bottling line run by a programmable logic controller (or some shit like that?) for it. still gotta cap 'em by hand though.

ill get some pics the next time im there to post.

Next time your with your boy, take some pictures of this ish. Me and my brew partner are stepping up our batch size and bottling is getting to be a pain in the ass... Id love to find an inexpensive way to bottle in quantity.

Is everyone here just doing 5 gal batches? Id love to be brewing on a one barrel system by september.

sounds delicious :)

Ive been hesitant and sick of hearing about it on the winepress. So if people who make wine 24/7 and even have a business doing so make this stuff for fun it has to be good. Plus it takes on the flavors of your old lees that you use. So at the price of $2 a gallon Im gonna make me some Blackberry/lemon Skeeter pee.

Next time your with your boy, take some pictures of this ish. Me and my brew partner are stepping up our batch size and bottling is getting to be a pain in the ass... Id love to find an inexpensive way to bottle in quantity.

Is everyone here just doing 5 gal batches? Id love to be brewing on a one barrel system by september.

barrels would be dope. I got three 3 gal carboys, three 5 gallon carboys, and three 6 gallon carboys and I definitely will have all of them full at one point this fall.

Ive been hesitant and sick of hearing about it on the winepress. So if people who make wine 24/7 and even have a business doing so make this stuff for fun it has to be good. Plus it takes on the flavors of your old lees that you use. So at the price of $2 a gallon Im gonna make me some Blackberry/lemon Skeeter pee.

Yeah, this sounds awesome, but is there a way to make it without the stuff from an old batch of wine? I don't make wine and still want to try it out.

barrels would be dope. I got three 3 gal carboys, three 5 gallon carboys, and three 6 gallon carboys and I definitely will have all of them full at one point this fall.

between me and my boy, we have 4 5 gal carboys and a couple little 3's for experiments, but its a pain in the ass to fill all of those at once... We are trying to find one of these jawns used:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/42-gallon-fermenator-f3-42-standard-fittings.html

nice! I havent reached a point where I think I would enjoy such a large batch. I kinda like all the different ones. My thing was to buy a filtering pump to make rackings easier and to make my wine a bit finer.

Have you thought of making one yourself. Pricing the tanks they make for farmers and adding your temp gauge and fittings in a custom fashion. Im a big do it yourself kinda person and most of the time doing it yourself does save you money if you have the time to work on something.

have been doing extracts in 5 gal batches for a few years now, and growing hops for three. my friend hooked up on some really nice swingtop bottles in a number of sizes. everything from pints and quarts up to half gal 'growler' bottles. makes for good cellaring or just large quantities. good for parties, too..

also, when i first started we found a plastic bucket kit on ebay for $35 plus about fifteen in shipping. not bad at all. got tired of bottling and now we do corny kegs. SO nice.

yea, I HATE bottling... going to build a keezer as soon as i have a few extra duckets.

@shortfuse.

I'm also a huge diy'er, but something like that conical would be something Id want built by a pro. With my luck, Id get some sanitation issue in my welds or something lol. Ive seen those 1 barrel conicals used for around 4 bills.

I think the biggest risk here is knowing how to properly separate ethanol from methanol. One his highly poisonous and one will get you drunk. They happen to have different boiling temps so that is the whole deal... to properly separate you have to keep the mixture at a very specific and STABLE temp to boil off the right chemical and collect it... if this temperature is UNSTABLE you may be boiling a bit of each chemical and thus risking a contamination of the chemicals you are trying to separate.

between me and my boy, we have 4 5 gal carboys and a couple little 3's for experiments, but its a pain in the ass to fill all of those at once... We are trying to find one of these jawns used:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/42-gallon-fermenator-f3-42-standard-fittings.html

Check out Alibaba.com.

tons of large scale brewing equipment on this site. Its all or mostly from China but im sure you could find a bbl fermenter for hundreds less than some shit on a homebrew store. Especially when it carries the blichman name its like the seal of "pay more for nothing"

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldnt have a problem sharing since selling is out of the question being that it is a lot of money to do so....legally. Although its hard to ship to certain states because of felony charges called "trafficking" sadly enough. So check my new toy...

small wine press yo! 350 total. Built strong to last long. If I end up needing a larger one in the future Ill build it custom..

prss.jpg

well, just bottled a couple batches the other day.. 10 gal of IPA and 10 of a Hef. brewed a nice summer ale and a 20 gal batch of RyePA. Thinking about making the switch to all grain opposed to a half mash with LME.... This is going to be my next build:

brutus.jpg