Home Brew 2010 Edition

vharkano

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been slacking big time on brewing. bad winter didn't help either and now yard work and weekend traveleings seem to be taking up most of my free time. I'm hoping this weekend to be able to get something done. I have my Double IPA A Rye pale Ale and some Clone of Oskar blue Gordon that i put toghter.

Yeah the beer selection down at my local is pretty large but nothing beats making something yourself .. Im currently looking into purchasing kegs so I can have beer on tap at home.

Would prop ya ShortFuse but 24d, you must be pretty dedicated to start building your own bee keeps haha

Well we have 8 acres and I could put them towards the back. The guy who used to own the property had bee keeps and from what Ive heard theyve worked well. Plus last summer the bees were all over the muscadine and you know they say every honey is different depending on what the bees consume. I just thought it be interesting. I want to be more dedicated this summer. Im buy a small press to make things go a lil bit faster cause juicing by hand sucks. Im in the same rut that Areankay is when it comes to being occupied around the board, winter hurt my time and I was planning on a batch of Sake to pass the time but never got around to it. As long as I can harvest the grapes this year though I can freeze them and use them when I please.

Going to do a brew of beer soon. My brother in law wants to bad but when I asked him what type of beer he likes he said "bud and corona." So Im working on his beer pallet so that when we do brew something we can do something different from a traditional lager or pils.

YES this thread delivers

i have tinkered with other "home closet creations" in my past, but brew is the new frontier. I've heard $100 for the basic setup, plus ingredients and whatnot. and I have a brew supply store near my house.

where did everybody purchase their equipment?

YES this thread delivers

i have tinkered with other "home closet creations" in my past, but brew is the new frontier. I've heard $100 for the basic setup, plus ingredients and whatnot. and I have a brew supply store near my house.

where did everybody purchase their equipment?

Your best bet starting out to keep the cost down is a healthy balance between online stores and your local shop or shops.

kits are cheap online and at sites like morebeer.com you get free shipping on most items after you spend $59 if not that other sites like northernbrewer and midwest supplies i believe all have flat rate shipping deals.

http://morebeer.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com

http://www.midwestsupplies.com

ingredients try to get at your local store. Its nice to throw a little something in the way of the local guy trying to help people out with a rather small hobby.

Well we have 8 acres and I could put them towards the back. The guy who used to own the property had bee keeps and from what Ive heard theyve worked well. Plus last summer the bees were all over the muscadine and you know they say every honey is different depending on what the bees consume. I just thought it be interesting. I want to be more dedicated this summer. Im buy a small press to make things go a lil bit faster cause juicing by hand sucks. Im in the same rut that Areankay is when it comes to being occupied around the board, winter hurt my time and I was planning on a batch of Sake to pass the time but never got around to it. As long as I can harvest the grapes this year though I can freeze them and use them when I please.

Going to do a brew of beer soon. My brother in law wants to bad but when I asked him what type of beer he likes he said "bud and corona." So Im working on his beer pallet so that when we do brew something we can do something different from a traditional lager or pils.

I tried getting one of my buddies into brewing too, but he is the same way... no pallet. I got him to (sort of) expand by brewing a blonde with amber malts.

@fresh.. that set looks legit.. what is the price?

• 2 weeks later...
Your best bet starting out to keep the cost down is a healthy balance between online stores and your local shop or shops.

kits are cheap online and at sites like morebeer.com you get free shipping on most items after you spend $59 if not that other sites like northernbrewer and midwest supplies i believe all have flat rate shipping deals.

http://morebeer.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com

http://www.midwestsupplies.com

ingredients try to get at your local store. Its nice to throw a little something in the way of the local guy trying to help people out with a rather small hobby.

Agreed. Ive used www.homebrewit.com in the past. They even offer some recipes as well. When it comes to choice in kits and products do you research like you would buying anything. There are plenty of forums etc that offer or already have offered their opinions on products.

For the wine peeps go to www.winepress.us their forums are a bountiful source of information...and Im pretty sure that most of it could apply to beer as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Shit.. last brew turned out too gassy (my bad) so they turned into things i can kick around when im drunk.

Brewed in plastic bottles since thats all I really had on hand at the time but is there any real major pros/cons when it comes to plastic/glass bottles ??? Surely the taste has to be affected even just a lil bit.

Got some funds so might go pick some ingredients up in the morn .. Looking at a Lager of some description. Shitty iphone pics to come !

I have two beers on draft currently. One is a Hoppy Amberish Rye beer and the other is a Hefeweizen, I have the Hefeweizen hooked up to a randall and its going through 2 ounces of Sorachi Ave hops, they both are drankin real good.

Decided to brew yesterday also so i brewed this Oskar blues Gordon clone beer that i had a recipe for. First clone beer i ever made so im excited to see how it turned out.

once kegs start to kick i have a IIPA as well as a Helles lager i have to brew.

i counted today this is my 63rd batch of homebrew

My serious flow of homebrew isnt going to start till this fall. Grapes will be in, along with any figs I get from the two trees I got and some apples. Gonna mix and play around.

Was thinking of some Sake to pass the time, anyone done Sake? Seems like a lil extra work but the same idea all around.

Also gonna purchase an Amarone kit before September so itll be ready by next fall.

Brewed in plastic bottles since thats all I really had on hand at the time but is there any real major pros/cons when it comes to plastic/glass bottles ??? Surely the taste has to be affected even just a lil bit.

I dont think so, wine companies have been messing with plastic bottles for a while and now its becoming popular amongst makers so It sounds like its just fine for wine, Im no scientist but I'd think beer wouldnt be effected if wine isnt. Usually during the summer I can find plastic bottles of of most major domestic beers around town.

Shit.. last brew turned out too gassy (my bad) so they turned into things i can kick around when im drunk.

Got some funds so might go pick some ingredients up in the morn .. Looking at a Lager of some description. Shitty iphone pics to come !

You fermented it in plastic, or bottled it in plastic? Either way, I don't see why taste would be affected. Glass carboys are preferable for fermentation as they are easier to clean and less likely to scratch and hold dirt and bacteria than plastic buckets, but my friends have made (and continue to make) great beers in both.

I dont think so, wine companies have been messing with plastic bottles for a while and now its becoming popular amongst makers so It sounds like its just fine for wine, Im no scientist but I'd think beer wouldnt be effected if wine isnt. Usually during the summer I can find plastic bottles of of most major domestic beers around town.

There are certain grades of plastic and only some of them can be used for brewing. When it comes to bulk aging though its thought still to be undesirable over glass. They make special plastic carboys for homebrews but if IM not mistaken theyre close to the price of glass. Everyone mentions that they wont break, agreed, but whos the idiot tossing around a glass carboy carelessly?

Glass suits me just fine.

Home brew made me break my lurk!

Used to do it at my old house. The mates kept the gear and are doin it justice. No killer ill settup like on the last page but... All grain, 34lbs, bout 16-18oz of hops, averagin 7.5%ach/bv. Doin 10gal at a time, kegs through a "Randle"(hop filter). I know there is better out there so I'm lurkin this page daily to sniff it out.

What hops do you all prefer?

How long to you boil?

Do you dry hop?

Ever used/made starters(yeast)

I was just given a bunch of supplies for homebrew from my girl's father. (he works for brewcraft and has a warehouse in Portland full of supplies) I have some red ale and an ipa going, it was real basic beginner stuff. What's a good website to get into the more advanced stuff?

sooo... whats the last recipe you fellas brewed?

Brewed on monday a beefy IPA:

4.4 lbs pale LME

2.2 lbs amber LME

3/4 lb american 2 row barley

3/4 lb american pale barley

1/4 lb crystal malt 40L

1/4 lb american munich malt

1/2 lb malted white wheat

1/2 lb american carapils malt

2 oz Centennial hops

2 oz Warrior hops

1 oz magnum hops

1 oz simcoe hops

1 oz amarillo hops (dryhop)

ordered myself some beer supplies the other day. Should be getting it this week. Told my brother in law Id buy the supplies if he bought the beer. I know one other has a higher price but I'm going to need multiple primaries and carboys this august when the grapes come in so I figured Ill just get a jump start. Since hes never done beer and Ive got my hands full with wine were going to try one of those "no boil" kits for shits and giggles.

He was looking at the Brewers Best line. Belgian Triple to be exact.

Any suggestions?