Home Brew 2010 Edition

vharkano

There have been one or two older threads from a few years back but fuck it thought I would start fresh.

Started a batch of my own special flavour (/nosuspect) Dark Ale today after being out of the game for over a year and im looking to start up a couple of more in the following weeks/months, basically the plan is to get the shit on a cycle so ive got good beer available 24/7.

Anybody else brew their own beer or even get into making their own alcohol ? Used to know a guy that distilled his own bourbon and would sell bottles of it for $15 ... was the smoothest 37% bourbon I have ever had.

Pictures to come when im not at work/not being slack.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah getting into spirits would be great but not too sure about the cost n finding equipment.

Local beer that used to be $32 a carton here is now going for almost $50 now when not on special so its getting to the point where I just wanna say fuck em all and stay self sufficient with my alky supply.

The muscadine from my first batch..

mih2rt.jpg

threw a stupid label on em and wrapped one up to keep forever.

iwn04o.jpg

the juice from last years grapes that were frozen in the freezer...

2hwi8nr.jpg

fermenting..

30c9j0k.jpg

Its settled and Ive racked it already I just havent gotten around to bottling it...

24nr0io.jpg

And a Gin/muscadine infusion I did out of boredom...I cant wait for this year now that Im living near some vines I can use. Muscadine makes a good wine if made right...and IM also just having fun with the free grapes...

2hwfyfm.jpg

:edit: sorry didnt realize the pics were so big :-/

I homebrew too. Brewed 5 batches already this year. currently have a hop knot clone in the bottles, hopefully good. should be chilling around 85-90 ibu's

For brewers or heads trying to get into brewing, go to homebrewtalk.com and lurk their forums... they have a ridiculous wealth of info to get you started.

• Like 1

true. Home brewing beer and wine really ISNT difficult, incredibly expensive, and space/time consuming. I mean there are 2 days that take the most time the way I see it...the first and the last. Ive enjoyed it so far and a 100 bucks to get you started with a 5 gal batch of something with a lil work is definitely worth the amount of product you get out of it. I recycle what I can. Being in a restaurant I nab every twist cap wine bottle that gets used. Usually costs 15 bucks to buy 12 cheap ones brand new. I got the availability of having Muscadine and Scuppernong grape vines on my property so Im going to utilize them till I cant stand the taste anymore...Working on building some bee keeps out of pallet wood I get for free so I can try using honey in place of sugar. Props to the other home brewers.

back when i was a youngster my pops brewed his own beer. It was more

out of necessity as Heineken was at the time considered the choice beer.

If you wanted something more you had to brew it yourself. Now im not

saying its a bad hobby but nowadays the selection is infinitely better

Yeah the beer selection down at my local is pretty large but nothing beats making something yourself .. Im currently looking into purchasing kegs so I can have beer on tap at home.

Would prop ya ShortFuse but 24d, you must be pretty dedicated to start building your own bee keeps haha