RIP KIDS DAC 4DC

thereke1870

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
definitely a dude that left a "story" of everywhere he'd gone... there's more of an "autobiographical" feel to his work than anyones i can think of. he roamed, lurked, lived.. and left a trail. he got up everywhere he ever went and went a lot of places. it was almost over night that he was suddenly up in tons of cities and had scribes on every pay phone. i'd never heard of him, someone mentioned how vent was friends with some train-hopper dudes in texas that were starting to write, and then boom.. before i even realized what happened it was everywhere. if he'd ever spent time in a city you were in - you knew it. the dude knew how to get his shit to run. he was pretty much the epitome of what could happen if punk traveler culture and graffiti ever came together. i didn't know him as well as some people, but he never struck me as flashy of boastful... more soft spoken and kinda lurky, kind of uneasy i guess... tattered. i was really surprised at how he looked when i met him actually, didn't expect it at all. i liked watching him tag- he would kinda jump into it and "pop into action" and be super fast all of the sudden and was done before i even fully realized what just happened. i liked that he always had a pocket full of different tools on him at all times for different surfaces, and was the kind of guy that would find 2 half cans and somehow make a night of it. he never struck me as a big racker but would always give me a pen if i didn't have one. he was exactly what graffiti needed at the time when he came out, he did it however... and he did it a lot. in my mind i thought he probably liked it for all the right reasons, it was refreshing. he was maybe the key figure that helped establish the validity of the "anything goes" vandal around the country... and is the first really prolific example of "outside participation" that i can remember seeing. so prolific that it no longer even seems like outside participation, now its just a standard. tons of people write like that now. he's definitely one of the most important writers of our time along with jesse, as far as the timeline of graffiti history in the u.s. goes... they were like our version of "outsider artists" or something, and by just tagging were somehow able to cross over into the realm of "americana" more than any others i can think of. kids is one of those guys i'd always get jealous of because so many regular people would always mention him whenever graffiti came up. i think his name and the way he wrote was almost non-offensive to them, and they were able to pass it off as "friendly mischief" or something, or they didn't feel excluded by it like all the other graffiti. i always liked it because it totally looked like "some guy went and did that right there".. and for whatever reason it totally emphasized the surface itself; it'd always be "that kids tag ON THE ____ ." he was one of the few people i've ever come across that has been up so much in certain cities that i quit even noticing it because it was so regularly occurring. very sad to hear the news, i have no doubt i'll still be seeing kids tags up for as long as i have eyes. much respect, and rest in peace, friend.

big bump to this well-spoken, spot-on description.

• 1 month later...

Caught one of his hands and characters faded almost invisible at this spot the other day. Whole wall was covered with stuff nothing lasts more then maybe 3 years if dude has history in the area at this spot and here is this faded kids up top drip style, just rocking where no one before him or after him has touched this wall in years. I'm gonna go back to try to catch the flick in the near future. Dude seriously crushed on some next level like few people ever do.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...