Community College and Transfers

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Also, the average age in all my classes seemed to be about 35.

Did this bother you at all? I took a business class at CC last fall, and not only was I the youngest one there, everyone else was at least 30 years old, there was even a 70 year old lady in an automatic wheel chair. I mean it feels weird being the youngest when everyone else is so much older. I guess they have more to contribute and shit because they've had more experience, but sometimes i felt like there needs to be more people my age, or at least closer to it, to even it all out and create a balance.

i nearly got an AA in biology, and figured out what i wanted to do in a career at community college

this was after a 2 year hiatus. i'd started college at a state university and dropped out.

so after my stint in community college i went back to state university (a different one though) and got a BS in biochem and molecular bio.

i'm happy with how it all turned out.

• Like 1

what exactly do you do with a biochemistry degree

get money, duhhhhhhhh

On topic though, im happy that i will be making the move to a 4 year from CC this fall. CC was very boring, but i was there to work and not socialize. Now, i will get to be apart of a campus life that i have never experienced and im very excited.

just my ¢2 here...

I've done all the school options because I was more concerned with skateboarding and writing on shit than I was with classes--3 private Universities, a CC, and now a State Uni.--and I'll swear by that CC experience getting my shit together for me something serious. Before: 0.36 GPA (no shit). After: PhD nearly done...

Like everyone said, it's cheaper and you get the BS required classes out of the way (usually*) and it's a nice transition if you're not/weren't the hottest student in HS. Of course a lot depends on where you are and where you want to go... A lot of state schools are affiliated with (if not outright are) regional CCs--I know state unis in NY and PA work closely with CCs to "groom" students, don't know about other states, though... definitely something to watch out for and check on. That's not to say that a CC->Private uni won't work (Watch those transfers!), but you might need to tool around with shit a little. It really helps to know where you want to go AFTER CC, or at least have a few options so you can research that shit and make sure you get as much as you can to transfer.

Coming from the other side, I now teach tons of undergrads who are all mixed up on things and essentially blow their first couple years of university fucking around and "figuring out" what to do with themselves. The transfer kids I teach, the ones who've gone to CC, are almost always more serious and focused on their work (i.e. better students) and that always makes a prof. happy.

As far as the whole "missing out on college life" thing... fuck it. I'm totally going to sound like the over-30 old man I am here but if you're concerned with that shit then you're totally not ready for college. It's a fucking school, go to learn not to smash chicks. (Aside: colleges are full of super hot girls who actually value intelligence... imagine that... and, what's more, these demure smart ones are usually crazy in bed, jus'sayin').

I can talk academe for hours, PM me if you want specifics or whatever. Good luck my dude, it's going to be a long few years... but that's OK. Welcome to life.

• Like 1

As long as you are very careful and enroll classes

that are certain to transfer i suggest going to CC.

In my experience the classes are easier than their

university equivalent.

Depending on your degree of discipline the CC will

also keep you on track. By this i mean... there are

plenty of kids who fresh out of highschool just dont

have the self restraint to make it to class. There is

too much other shit going on. Sluts, booze, parties

and drugs. Its an awful lot of money. Tens of thousands

of dollars that get thrown away. After 2 years at a

CC you are pretty much half way to your degree.

Instead of feeling helpless and overwhelmed by the

sheer depth of whats ahead of you you are already

on track so its easier to keep your eyes on the prize.

It can be difficult to find a job in a college town.

There are tens of thousands of other kids looking for

work too. Also...Living in the dorms is pretty fucking

annoying

I think the most important consideration is tuition and

living expenses. With the money you save on these

2 things alone for your last 2 years at a university

you could have a fresh place to live and a nice ass

car. Think of it like this. A year of tuition, supplies,

room and board can cost more than 25K Thats a conservative

figure too. I did a little poking around and that was

the lowest figure i found. A year at a community college

the tuition for full time attendance should be less than

2K. Cheap apartment or living with family you can

stack enough money to be comfortable at the university.

Unless of course you got it like that. If your family is

willing to come off 25K for you to get the "experience"

juice by you

Hope that helped

what exactly do you do with a biochemistry degree

i have worked in pharma, which was very boring but pays alright

and also in academic research at universities. the pay isn't bad but it's hardly raking in cash.

i work off grant funds. i've worked for two people, one a famous guy in the field at a famous university, and that job got me a bunch of authorships and a great CV. my current job is less high profile but it pays better and there's less work.

my day to day is shit most people won't get, lab stuff like running western blots, doing RT PCR and ELISAs, genotyping, organizing and analyzing data and managing the lab. it's ok.

i'd like to go back and get a master's in genetic counseling. but that is more school and work.

yeah, I forgot to add that trade school IS a hell of a good idea... that's almost guaranteeing you a job for the most part (of course I have a cousin who just got dropped after years of electrician apprenticing... but that's life)...

PLUS, something to consider is the way the economy is moving... more people out of work, going (back) to school=more competition, esp for financial aid if you need it.