Cross Country Road Trip

El Jefe Uno

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Take it slow.

Use cruise control.

Pull over if you start dozing.

Take lots of pictures.

Don't drive with weed in the car.

Hump in as many states as you can.

Haha...this.

And also...get gas...long before you need to...shit out there is not like New England. Youll see signs saying.."next gas station 85 miles."

...and considering you did this by train. You must be aware that there is absolutely nothing from about West Virginia, to Flagstaff, Arizona. For work once, I drove from about where you started and did that same trip a while back. I made a thread about it, and posted flicks. It was a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

*edit*

Said thread/pictures.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122841

I did this last summer and gave myself a hefty month and half to really savor it. However, I started in Miami, drove up north to RI, then headed out west across the north to LA.

I'm kind of a camping nut, so my trip out to the west was based on rad camping, did upstate NY (Ithaca camping, das boot-drinking with Rage in Albany), checked Toronto out with KEY3/zesto, then Detroit and Chicago before I headed out to the middle of nowhere.

I did the Badlands and the Black Hills in South Dakota, Yellowstone in Wyoming, Zion and Grand Canyon in Utah, Vegas, and finally LA (ran out of time to check out Joshua Tree). All of those were spectacular, but I'd single out the Badlands as the most trippy place I went to (check out this panorama I took). Depending on who you are, you could find it extremely boring or super fascinating, so I don't know if to recommend it.

Zion National Park was a huge surprise and much awesomer than I expected it to be... even better during the summer cause you can freely hike up the shallow river into the Narrows and the water is just perfect.

dont drive through texas, we went the longest possible straight route and it was nothing but tumble weeds and desert. with a few cities here and there.

this. i have also done it, it takes a whole day and it's just rolling ass hills and nothing to look at.

looks like the cross country road trip flick thread i made a year and a half ago got deleted, but make sure to get a flick of a 'westside fool' cactus.

I-80 is a pretty straight forward drive. Traffic gets lighter the farther you get away from Boston/New York, and when you're past Chicago you're good all the way out west.

Whoever said don't drive more than 8 hours a day makes me wonder how the hell they get anywhere. I can do about 20-21ish hours in a single sitting, most at one time without stopping except for gas and food was 24 hours. I'm also not a fan of cruise control, because a) it's a pain when you're in traffic, b) it sucks way more gas than just driving it yourself, c) you have a better chance of falling asleep.

If I was you, I'd take 95 to New York City -or- 95 to the Tappan Zee (287 I think), to 80 in Jersey. 80 all the way to western Nebraska, 76 to Denver where you catch 70. 70 to I-15 in Utah, I-15 to LA.

Lots of states out west have 75mph speed limits. I-80 turns to 70mph in Iowa and 75mph in Nebraska, but don't go more than 80 because the Nebraska State Patrol got us on our way back to Chicago doing 83 in a 75, and they're dickheads.

I'm also not a fan of cruise control it sucks way more gas than just driving it yourself,

That's not true. Constantly decelerating and accelerating cant be easier on gas. Although I can see how that may be true in hilly areas. And only use cruise control when it's dry.

I drive truck for a living.. I've put on about 35 to 40,000 miles this past year, and two things that help with not falling asleep are chewing gum and having the radio off.. sounds crazy but it lets your mind think and daydream.. as opposed to mindlessly listening to music and commercials.