epic battle: CAKE vs. PIE

watson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see now you're moving the goal posts.

Before it was all flour, consistency and crusts. Now it's method of cooking....

I'm confident the jury can see through your shenanigans.

I don't see how it's a contradiction just because it should fit several criteria. All the "cakes" you see on the first page, like all traditional cakes are baked, not thrown on a skillet. A cake batter? Yes.

I asked the Internet and the Internet says cakes have a rising process, involving a key levening ingrediant and a baking/rising process. Cakes are sweet levened breads, by defenition.

pancakes do not have a baking/rising process so they are not true cakes (although if you use yeast in pancake batter it might be an argument.

Cheesecake (AKA Cheesecake Pie - look it up) is a pie because of the separate crust that is filled (cakes DO NOT have separate crusts unless they are wrapped / rebaked after the initial rising bake.

They also have no levening agent and do not rise (since they are poured filling into crust)

so cheesecake pie is double not a cake

I hope this clears up any confusion. Just because it's called "cake" doesn't make it true. People misname things all the time. Just because you insist that's what it is doesn't make you right...

I asked the Internet and the Internet says cakes have a rising process, involving a key levening ingrediant and a baking/rising process. Cakes are sweet levened breads, by defenition.

pancakes do not have a baking/rising process so they are not true cakes (although if you use yeast in pancake batter it might be an argument.

Cheesecake (AKA Cheesecake Pie - look it up) is a pie because of the separate crust that is filled (cakes DO NOT have separate crusts unless they are wrapped / rebaked after the initial rising bake.

They also have no levening agent and do not rise (since they are poured filling into crust)

so cheesecake pie is double not a cake

I hope this clears up any confusion. Just because it's called "cake" doesn't make it true. People misname things all the time. Just because you insist that's what it is doesn't make you right...

Exactly

i love a cake you make in a skillet.

cup cakes vs home run pies?

which one?

cupcakes. for every win ever.

as for the whole "rising process" contention, it is not truly inclusive of all cakes. to wit:

A torte is a cake made primarily with eggs, sugar, and ground nuts instead of flour. Variations may include bread crumbs as well as some flour.[1] Tortes are Central European in origin. The word torte is derived from the German word Torte (pronounced [ˈtoʀtə], which has a somewhat different meaning), which was derived from the Italian word torta, which was used to describe a round cake or bread. [1]

The most well-known of the typical tortes include the Austrian Sacher torte and Linzertorte and the many-layered Hungarian Dobos torte. But other well-known European confections are also tortes, such as the French Gâteau St. Honoré. Tortes are commonly baked in a Springform pan.

An element common to most tortes is sweet icing. (Exceptions include several French tortes, such as Gâteau Mercédès and Gâteau Alcazar.) When the cake is layered, a thick covering of icing is placed between the layers, and there is almost always icing on the tops and sides of the torte. A number of European tortes do not have layers.

In America, wedding cakes are sometimes called tortes, and their creation has developed into quite a complicated technique of its own.

..so there is no 'rising' in a torte.

and it is still a cake. you can be mad if you want though, and make it into something else. like logic or reason. but it's baking.

Still haven't heard you guys disprove why a cheesecake isn't a pie.

Simple anatomy of a pie: Pie crust with a filling poured in and then baked.

Cheesecake: Pie crust with a filling poured in and then baked.

I don't see any difference.

And we're talking about the original cheesecake, not any of the multiple concoctions. Not talking about cheesecake put in cakes, ice cream, cookies, hot dogs, cheesesteaks, or whatever else

who really gives a fuck. its like arguing why "tomatoes are actually fruit" gimmie a break. personaly, i call pie on cheescake. but shit im willing to waive my opinion on it simply because the fuckin thing is called a CAKE.

is a shoe horn really a horn, i dunno. but when i see an 80 y/o using one to slide into his loaphers i know that hes not playing the trombone with his feet yet i dont seem to find time in my day to argue that its not what it is.

because i dont give a flying fuck and its part of the english language, go invent your own if you dont like our words.

Well, that was about the most useless post of the whole thread, thanks COS!!

Why post if you don't care?

Theo, the only difference between a pie and a cake in your matrix up thee is that it has a crus. Many cheese cakes come without a crust. Cakes are poured into a cake tin and baked.

Well, that was about the most useless post of the whole thread, thanks COS!!

Why post if you don't care?

Theo, the only difference between a pie and a cake in your matrix up thee is that it has a crus. Many cheese cakes come without a crust. Cakes are poured into a cake tin and baked.

Not the only thing... pies also don't have sweet spongey bread that's baked and risen with yeast. What's poured in to a cake tin is the cake batter. A pie tin has a crust layer inside. Two different things.