epic battle: CAKE vs. PIE

watson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheesecake is definitely in the pie family. Everything about it is like a pie. Cake usually has a breaded/spongey area... and no bottom crust.

lots of cheesecake recipes do include flour, most all of them, even only 1/4 cup.

and many fancier types include a sponge cake base. some cheesecakes are crustless as well.

i was a pastry chef, and imo, it's more like cake then pie.

Rose Levy, author of the Cake Bible and the Pie Bible, agrees with me, so y'all can think what you will.

the-cake-bible-230.gif

5132SZPR6FL.jpg

lots of cheesecake recipes do include flour, most all of them, even only 1/4 cup.

and many fancier types include a sponge cake base. some cheesecakes are crustless as well.

i was a pastry chef, and imo, it's more like cake then pie.

Rose Levy, author of the Cake Bible and the Pie Bible, agrees with me, so y'all can think what you will.

the-cake-bible-230.gif

5132SZPR6FL.jpg

I'm talking about the traditional NY-style cheesecake. With the filling and pie crust (made in a pie pan)

Yes they have different concoctions of cheesecake to be as cakes and whatnot. They also put cheesecake in cookies and ice cream. I wouldn't call it a cookie either. Gotta draw the line somewhere

My Final Four would hafta be funfetti, ice cream cake, cheesecake (of the cherry variety), and peanut butter pie. I'm not sure what peanut butter pie is, but I'm imagining some kind of Reeses dessert?

From there it's really hard, but most likely ice cream cake

Edit: Also, I'm a really big fan of some birthday cakes, but didn't have it advancing very far due to the fact that there's alot of really shitty birthday cake out there as well

OK so my mother in-law made some really good apple pie. I wanted it ala mode but we only had strawberry cheesecake ice cream, I said fuck it and did it up right.

My kids started flipping out as usual so before I could try it, the ice cream melted. (I nuked the pie)

It turned out to be one of the best things I've tasted!

How does this sound? Apple-strawberry pie prepared rhubarb style (flour in the final filling mixture) but instead of butter use cubed cream cheese? Or just mix the cream cheese evenly?

Or apple with strawberry flavored cream cheese?

Traditional crust?

Thoughts?

Pumpkin Pancakes go hard.

Oh yeah and is a pancake a cake? It has the word "cake" in it. :huh:

Of course it is, by your rationale it is anyway.

It has a flour base, a spongy consistency and doesn't have a crust. Must be a cake, dude!!

Massive fluffy arse pancake floating in a bucket of maple syrup with islands of ice cream banana and strawberries floating in the delicious.

homer-simpson-muumuu.jpg

um, yes it is. i've made literally hundreds of cheesecakes, and cheesecake is mixed and cooked like many other cakes. so genoise cake is not a cake because it's not cooked and mixed like pound cake? what about mousse cake? it's still a cake. and not anything like layer cake. not even a little. it's eggs and chocolate.

and why this argument? when clearly boston cream pie is way more like cake than pie.