epic battle: CAKE vs. PIE

watson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, ok. The ice cream cake I had as a tacker was all ice cream.

So, if I can show that cheese cake rises, then it's a cake and not a pie?

Dude, stuff has to fit more than one criteria. Simply rising or expanding due to cooking doesn't make something a cake. My dick rises when I see a girl wearing leggings as pants, but it's not cake.

Both pies and cakes are baked = means for nothing

Cakes rise, pretty sure we can tick that one off for Cheese cake

pies have a crust, not all cheese cakes have a crust, most just a little base

cheese cakes have flour

cheese cakes have a batter

cheese cake is called cake

What else you got?

cake.

"My grandmother, on my dad's side, had an amazing sweet tooth. How that woman could eat as many jelly-filled donuts as she did and still live to 97, I'll never know. One of her favorite pies to make for us was grasshopper pie, a chilled minty green pie with an oreo cookie crust. I haven't found her recipe, but my father patched one together from many he found online that turns out a pie just like the one she used to make. Many grasshopper pie recipes are quite elaborate and call for gelatin, egg yolks, egg whites, etc. In this recipe we use marshmallows, instead of the eggs and gelatin."

I think I'm gunna have to try this. Sounded like ass at first. Like the kinda shit you eat cuz you're told it's a "Southern thing" or whatever.

Both pies and cakes are baked = means for nothing

Cakes rise, pretty sure we can tick that one off for Cheese cake

pies have a crust, not all cheese cakes have a crust, most just a little base

cheese cakes have flour

cheese cakes have a batter

cheese cake is called cake

What else you got?

cake.

The base is the crust. It's the same stuff. Different variations of cheesecakes have the full crust at the edge, some remove the outer crust on the edge and leave the base.

I just looked up the ingredients and saw no mention of flour:

3 lbs. cream cheese

1 3/4 c. sugar

1 1/4 c. sour cream

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. lemon juice

6 eggs

1 tsp. grated lemon peel

Many things have batters. Fried chicken uses batters. Corn dogs have batters. Waffles are made from batter. A batter can be made of almost anything.

"Cheesecake" is just the name it was given. Being colloquially known as something doesn't make it literally "correct". A couple examples... the numbers "1234..." are commonly known as "Arabic numerals", even though the numbers did not originate from the Arab world, but rather India. They are known as Arabic numerals because they were brought to Europe through Arabia, which is much closer. The word "planet" is Greek for "wandering star" because back then they were thought to be stars that move around. We still use these words today even though we know a planet is not a star.