Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
50million

Paralyzed Graffiti Artist Draws With His Eyes

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124980282

A group of artists and hackers have crafted a gadget that lets a paralyzed graffiti artist continue making art using only his eyes. And it costs about as much as an iPod shuffle.

Zach Lieberman of the Graffiti Research Lab started working on the EyeWriter with one man in mind: Los Angeles-based graffiti artist Tony Quan. In 2003, Quan was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, leaving virtually every muscle in his body paralyzed except for his eyes. Lieberman and developers from Free Art and Technology, OpenFrameworks and the Ebeling Group were inspired to create low-cost, open-source hardware and software for eye-tracking to help Quan draw again.

Eye-tracking technology, in which computers and small cameras harness eye movements for writing, highlighting Web site text and other tasks, has led to digital tools for users with disabilities. However, as Lieberman tells NPR’s Liane Hansen, those devices usually have hefty price tags.

"Commercial eye-trackers, to get a device is $10,000-$15,000," he says. The EyeWriter is estimated to cost about $50. He and his hacker colleagues have a do-it-yourself kit for building an EyeWriter that starts with a pair of sunglasses. For Lieberman’s prototype, he bought a pair from a vendor at Venice Beach.

"Then we assembled a kind of wire frame that holds a Web cam, a small camera that we've mounted close to the eye," he explains. "We've written software that tracks the eye, and then we calibrate with [Quan's] eye movements and the computer screen."

Quan can draw lines and color within them, though graffiti-writing with the EyeWriter is nowhere near as fast as shaking up a can of spray paint and drawing by hand.

eyewriter1.jpg?t=1269174130&s=2

• Like 1

i know there is another thread of this somewhere

and if i remember correctly, people got banned cause they were dissing on the guy

it's awesome what technology is advancing into

i searched...didnt see one. this was just posted on NPR today.

thought it was cool, especially since it's about $50 for a DIY kit.

mmm foie...

Search function noob.

He's getting it down now.

Still burning most fools out there.

Guest NeverBeenBetter

have you guys seen this shit?

discovery_of_fire.jpg

SO FUCKING USEFUL!

Bump Milky & 88 up in this thread also,

where's that keg of Fat Tire you promised?

whatever dudes. NPR obviously is not up to date on their shit then.

i like the building projection idea.

and now that you mention it...i did see the old thread....ok new thread....and go:

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now