Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanfullofretards

You think your state drinks a lot?

http://chicagoist.com/2010/03/09/confirmed_wisconsin_drunker_than_il.php

FloatingSheep loves to stick data on maps, thereby graphically illustrating the data, and one of their new maps is a real lulu. Using stats gleaned from Google Maps, they

did a simple comparison between grocery stores and bars to discover a remarkable geographically [sic] phenomenon. We had expected that grocery stores would outnumber bars and for most parts of North America that is the case. But we could also clearly see the "beer belly of America" peeking out through the "t-shirt of data." Starting in Illinois, the beer belly expands up into Wisconsin and first spreads westward through Iowa/Minnesota and then engulfs Nebraska, and the Dakotas before petering out (like a pair of love handles) in Wyoming and Montana.

In other words, on the map above every patch of red represents a location where bars outnumber grocery stores. Dubious at the results, they looked at official 2007 Census Country Business Pattern data. And it matched up.

It's easier to see on the full sized map: although Illinois clearly loves a good tipple, all that red in Wisconsin jibes with Forbes 2006 list of America's Drunkest Cities, which had Milwaukee as the most soused metropolis in the nation. Chicago? #6.

2010_3_9wisconsindrunk.jpg

motion_w.jpg BITCHES!!!

Dope thread. Props.

rc6a7p.jpg

I'd like to see what Canadadada looks like with that map, but it might be safe to say that's the highest concentration of bahs in the friggin world.

my city was voted drunkest city in america a couple years in the last decade

more bars per capita than anywhere else

state has lots of breweries too

atleast one of the big 3 and a whole fuck load of micro breweries

Looks like the city in which I reside has more bars than grocery stores... But I already knew that.

Basically. Your states are so fucking lame, and boring that the only thing to do to pass the time is to drink away your depression induced by the soul crushing lameness of your states.

Rest of the world> Midwest.

spitfire, you remind me of gay

nh

ceptyou

Basically. Your states are so fucking lame, and boring that the only thing to do to pass the time is to drink away your depression induced by the soul crushing lameness of your states.

Rest of the world> Midwest.

Other 49 states > Florida.

whats weird is there are not many bars here in indy and a lot of grocery stores and its got a red dot but portland dont? that shit cant be correct anywhere you are in portland you can walk to at least four different bars and you usually have to drive, bike, or bus to a grocery store.

N.O. has more bars than most cities combined and we dont have a red dot.Even our grocery stores sell alot of beer and liquor.

whats weird is there are not many bars here in indy and a lot of grocery stores and its got a red dot but portland dont? that shit cant be correct anywhere you are in portland you can walk to at least four different bars and you usually have to drive, bike, or bus to a grocery store.

actually looking real close i think portland does have a red dot

Providence definitely has more bars than liquor stores, but I can't tell if it's red on there. Either way, it should be, and my state drinks alot.

Also, what Spitfire side is pretty true, the Midwest is a shithole. Northeast > rest of US

Either way, it should be, and my state drinks alot.

Yeah, only because you live there.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now