MONGO FOOTED

John Basegow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just never considered money as a major factor, or people who don't skate but still buy shit.

I was in it from the 80's vert era up until around 05 and never saw huge differences in how many people actually skated.

To call it a dark era to me isn't accurate, shit was going strong back then regardless of the $$$$$

whaaaaaaaaat!??! mid 90's skateboarding "the dark era"

LOLOL... please, if anything that was the golden era. THATS when skateboarding reeeeeally took flight with both popularity, acception in society and as far as skill level went.

there has really only been THREE pivotal periods in skateboarding and there probably wont be another one, cause i peaked in the 90's.

i would say that the three major turning points in skating was a.) when it started, up until freestyle skateboarding started to lose grip b.) the early 90's when both street skateboarding and vert started to really gain momentum in terms of people realizing what could actualy be done with a skateboard and c) the mid fucking 90's when street just got outright DOPE.

when EMB/LOVE/POLASKI/NEWSPOT were in every fucking video x 10. when dudes were pushing limits like never before and not just out of natural progression but of booming skill. when people started busting shit UP three sets rather than just down. dudes getting out of hand on crazy kinked rails etc etc etc.

tho i dont keep up with skateboarding much anymore that shit was a massive part of my youth. broken ankles/wrists/dislocated knees. put on weight and for one period alotta weight after drug addiction. but in my opinion it would be very difficult, tho not impossible, to see if there will actually be another pivotal period.

that being said, i suppose one could argue that there has kind of been one because the skill of the average skateboarder today and 15 years ago is astronomical. its nothin to see 12yr old kids just as consistant, have just as much pop and be just as dope as the dudes that i used to look upto as a kid who were like 20+

but i think that again falls under the natural progression of things rather than an outright new era... other than tight pants of course.

ahh yes, i understand. us old dudes were all there.

but you gotta remember skateboarding was kinda badass back then. like, no pussys allowed shit. not defending those waaay baggy pants and retardedly small wheels, but just sayin.

them fuckin things were so slow. and hitting rocks was gay as fuck.

but shit was dope. there werent skateparks on every other corner back then so it was a constant hustle getting at spots. way more than you youngsters think it is today. times that by a hundread.

like i said, imma outta the loop these days is that coined phrase for that era?!?! the dark age?!?

damn. thats kindy funny, understandable coming from todays viewpoint i suppose tho.

dude classic example of those days was a New Deal video that i cant recall but ill pull up inna second and add an edit. they reeeeeeeeally sprung that look into full effect. dope vid, lots hawaii if i remember correctly.

*edit:

only part i could find on youtube, quickly anyways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEKm2_W9vW8

and ya, this video prolly just stuck out in my head more than others im quite sure there were other videos that other dudes hold in the same light due to that era. skate videos were the shit back then man watch them things for hoursssss.

whaaaaaaaaat!??! mid 90's skateboarding "the dark era"

LOLOL... please, if anything that was the golden era. THATS when skateboarding reeeeeally took flight with both popularity, acception in society and as far as skill level went.

there has really only been THREE pivotal periods in skateboarding and there probably wont be another one, cause i peaked in the 90's.

i would say that the three major turning points in skating was a.) when it started, up until freestyle skateboarding started to lose grip b.) the early 90's when both street skateboarding and vert started to really gain momentum in terms of people realizing what could actualy be done with a skateboard and c) the mid fucking 90's when street just got outright DOPE.

when EMB/LOVE/POLASKI/NEWSPOT were in every fucking video x 10. when dudes were pushing limits like never before and not just out of natural progression but of booming skill. when people started busting shit UP three sets rather than just down. dudes getting out of hand on crazy kinked rails etc etc etc.

tho i dont keep up with skateboarding much anymore that shit was a massive part of my youth. broken ankles/wrists/dislocated knees. put on weight and for one period alotta weight after drug addiction. but in my opinion it would be very difficult, tho not impossible, to see if there will actually be another pivotal period.

that being said, i suppose one could argue that there has kind of been one because the skill of the average skateboarder today and 15 years ago is astronomical. its nothin to see 12yr old kids just as consistant, have just as much pop and be just as dope as the dudes that i used to look upto as a kid who were like 20+

but i think that again falls under the natural progression of things rather than an outright new era... other than tight pants of course.

yes...it was the golden era for skateboarding culture...however...in the arena of public acceptance...the 90's esp the early 90's, were rather dark....that is unless you grew up in california or a big city on the east coast...more specifically.. where the industry was growing. if it wernt for me looking like a grown ass man when i was a teen ager and the fact that, generally, white kids in the burbs are scared of minorities from the city....i would have been getting beat up like most of my friends who skated. at least in the late 80's if you were a vert skater you had a little clout. vert skating was accepted in society on the late 80's. if you didnt live where the industry was growing in the 90's....you were looked at as a kook for skateboarding by society. like i said...even today...in detroit... neighborhood cats are still on some ignorant shit when they see people skating.

. there werent skateparks on every other corner back then so it was a constant hustle getting at spots. way more than you youngsters think it is today. times that by a hundread.

there wernt any free public skate parks in michigan up until the last 5 years.

other than that...there was 1 main park throughout the late 80's/early 90's in kalamazoo which is about 3 hours outside of detroit.

oh yeah...there still isnt a real skatepark in detroit.

• Like 1

I grew up in the thick of it in cali (86-93 & 99-current), there were lots of people skating in the early 90's. Just after as the vert thing died there was very little money in the industry. The vert era of the 80's was on a rock star level ... when that went away so did most of the money. Kids kept skating the whole time ... but the lack of money in the industry is where the dark age thought comes from.

After that era you had all kinds of kids wearing skate gear even if they didnt skate, bringing money back to the industry. On top of the Tony Hawk games and all the other pop culture acceptance.