MONGO FOOTED

John Basegow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was skating in the early 90s as a little kid and watcing the first Powell Peralta videos with dudes bombing hills with pads on their hand to do powerslides (that's what we called it; no idea what they're really called). Animal Chin and all that. Guess what? No one pushed mongo. It's wrong, and all the excuses people make for it, is NOT the way to push a skateboard, ride a snowboard or a surfboard. Everything points to the most efficient way to use a board for locomotion is to have the dominant foot as the forward one.

Longboarding is a different beast. I wrote a big ol' argument, but it boiled down to the fact that it's still fun to push around on one and go fast down hills.

^ No.

Just no. Definitely wouldn't be keeping up with me anyways. Shit just aint happening blud, and I've bombed hills with some of the best of 'em. On regular boards as well as longer ones.

But anyways, it's the age old argument that will never be settled. There are similar rivalries between surfers. Shortboarders hate longboarders and vice-versa. I find it funny though, that another man chooses to clown on how the other one gets down in such a way. Like... really? You mad because I'm having fun? You can't be seen in public on a board over 40 inches? F'real? You're seriously that concerned and egotistical about the whole thing? Worried way the fuck to much about what other people think of you... oh wait that's right. Your cool skater-boi poser front might take a hit huh. (Not directed strictly at you Earl. The thread in General though)

Lots of you fucks would (and probably) have had mad fun cruising around town on a LB. But, apparently you have some sort of reputation to uphold that bars you from experiencing another very valid form of the activity you supposedly enjoy and partake in so much.

I figure it's just one more board in my quiver. Another option. I've never been a fan of limiting myself. But then again I've been at this shit since way before it was ever the trendy thing to do. And I'll be doing it after.

Ch0 is so anti... that's why I love it. And hate it. You niggas don't realize that by not jumping on the bandwagon sometimes, you're actually jumping right on the fucking bandwagon. For instance, in Ch0 now it is trendy to hate on longboarding. Which is a trend in itself. So god damned hipster it's sickening. Follow on my nigs. I got my own steez.

dude....you are soooooooo mad. no one is saying they are going to start a coalition to ban longboarders. and just because skateboarding has gotten socially accepted in the last 5 years due to video games and x games doesnt mean that everyone that skates is on some..."im part of the cool club" type point of view. in the 80's and 90's you were a total social reject if you even wore skate shows..let alone actually skated. and where im from....its still not cool to be a skater....esp if you are a close to 30,6'5" minority. i still get called tony hawk and get clowned.

short board or long board...its still all part of surfing and surf culture.

however... longboards have very little to do with skateboarding and skateboard culture.

freestyle skating is more relevant to skateboarding culture than longboards are.

the only person who can get away with riding a long board is THE GONZ. PERIOD.

why?

because he is gods gift to skateboarding...and he is one of the few who can ride it like a regular skateboard.

so in the 90 skating was 'edgy' in the rest of the country?

Shit was all over the place here.

Wearing skating shoes was frowned upon where yer from??

Shits fucking funny/weird/does not compute haha

Shit is about having fun. Most of the skaters I know also own a longboard. my damn roomate is in his 30s, been skating the vast majority of his life, Pure sk8 or die brah, has shoe boxes full of old thrasher mags, old decks/trucks/etc stockpiled in the garage, and even he has a longboard for trips to the liquor store up the street.

i mean...thats good for him. im glad he is comfortable on a longboard. doesnt change the fact that 98% of fools look like straight up busters on them.

and yes...in the midwest... specifically michigan...and even more specifically detroit.... skateboarding was not cool. esp. if you were not white. so being a minority skating in the 90's you got twice as much shit for it. i never said it was 'edgy'...however it was not the norm.

i mean...thats good for him. im glad he is comfortable on a longboard. doesnt change the fact that 98% of fools look like straight up busters on them.

and yes...in the midwest... specifically michigan...and even more specifically detroit.... skateboarding was not cool. esp. if you were not white. so being a minority skating in the 90's you got twice as much shit for it. i never said it was 'edgy'...however it was not the norm.

couldn't agree more. There was actually a relatively tight-knit "skateboarding community" because we didn't have legitimate parks and Tony Hawk hadn't hit the shelves yet to set off the trend with youngsters. Skateboarding was a cult thing in the 90's in our neck of the woods.

alright heres the deal, i surf and skate whatnot but i usually ride a normal skateboard for the park and street skating, i also own a longboard when im tryign to get to the gas station mad quick... i live in a shitty town with shit for sidewalks and streets so you have to have a longboard sometimes. Im just saying fuck the longboard types that exclusively longboard and wear a white belt from pacsun and straighten their hair and cant even bomb a hill ya dig?

/noself-diss but ill admit when i was 7 the first times i rode a board i pushed mongo. thats just cuz i didnt really know anything about it i just wanted to ride But when i really started skating a few years later i taught meself how to push regular (goofy though)

The early 90's are considered a dark age in skateboarding history.

There was little money in the industry, the vert revolt was in full swing. The liability issue had caused most of the parks of the 70's and 80's to close. There was still an outsider feel to skate culture, you didnt see high school football players wearing DC's or Etnies till mid to late 90's. About the time the Tony Hawk games, Xgames etc made it more socially accessible to the mainstream public.

I was big into skating in the early 80's, I grew up on the Bones Brigade and other skate flicks.

There were no parks in Chicago, you had to build your own ramp out of alley trash -- subsequently racking your nuts and scraping your knees. Looking back, it kinda sucked.

I stopped (like everyone else my age in the early 90's) because I shifted my focus to pussy and driving cars.

When I saw people skating around my college in the mid-90's, I felt like they were too old be acting like a tween, but respected them for keeping it alive.

When I see kids at skate parks now-a-days, I get jealous that I never had that as a kid.

Imad.

Guest YEAHMANWORD

I used to skate mongo when I first started skating. That was in 96. I probably permanently switched to pushing normal around 99, which coincidentally was after I broke my Left ankle & had 3 screws put in.

I skate goofy and pushing with my bad ankle was just less painful than resting all of my weight on it/vibrations from the ground. I actually like it alot better than I did mongo.

I don't know why I've been reading this thread the last few days since I don't even like skateboarding, but I can co-sign that skating wasn't poppin around me in the 90's.

I remember my brother had one that he fucked around on occasionally, but I didn't know anyone who actually was into skateboarding til like 2001 probably. Granted, I hung out with strictly minorities and they definitely didn't think skating was cool back then, but still