MONGO FOOTED

John Basegow

It's funny how much things have changed. I remember my older brother skating a plastic board

when he was 13 or so (with those hard ass motherfucking wheels that looked like semi tires)

Then when I started and it was those huge wooden Vision decks and then the tiny peanut shapes with the micro wheels.

It's a real trip to see what kids are onto these days.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West coast thing for sure. Although it shouldn't be difficult to a hipster cruising the downtown area of any Midwest or East coast city, rocking Death Cab for Cutie on his 250 gig Ipod and riding the nose of a Sector 9 or Gravity deck. If it hasn't happened yet, it will. Just saying. Look out Omaha.

i don't know what breed of hipsters your seeing my dude, but the ones around my way wouldn't be caught dead as abe lincoln on a mark ass longboard. real talk.

It's funny how much things have changed. I remember my older brother skating a plastic board

when he was 13 or so (with those hard ass motherfucking wheels that looked like semi tires)

Then when I started and it was those huge wooden Vision decks and then the tiny peanut shapes with the micro wheels.

It's a real trip to see what kids are onto these days.

The homie just inherited some legit classic completes from the late/mid sixties...mint condition from his girls uncle that passed. i'll post flicks when i wake up tonight.

Mongo footed skaters are a travesty and should be treated as such.

They are the toys of skating.

They are almost as annoying as the little kids who ask "How many boards you ollie? My brother/cousin can ollie 10 boards."

Or the local park hero who shreds in during demos to try and amaze the pros in a desperate attempt to get sponsored.

Speaking of Longboards. There are people who utilize them for the fucking win.

I hear a lot of hate coming from mostly posers themselves concerning riding a longboard. I've had a stash of 40 inch + decks and Randal Trucks forever. Been riding the Berkely hills since the late nineties and have had the pleasure to share a few runs with Cliff Coleman himself. I've got a lot of love for this aspect of skating but I keep to myself on it because of how god damned trendy it is lately. Not a good look.

But... fuck if it isn't fun to smash downhill going 40 mph without having to pay for a Sierra @ Tahoe lift ticket. Makes me happy. I suggest you try it.

i don't know what breed of hipsters your seeing my dude, but the ones around my way wouldn't be caught dead as abe lincoln on a mark ass longboard. real talk.

And if by 'hipster' I meant 'trend-jumping-faggot' would you then concur?

Mongo footed skaters are a travesty and should be treated as such.

They are the toys of skating.

For some silly reason I get the feeling that you're on that... "too old to skate (never got good anyways), but still trying to fit in with the cool kids at lunch" crowd. Hugging the sidelines - rocking kneepads and a Dogtown board, but never drops in type dude. Or you're just instigating the conversation. Not sure. Either way the ignorant statement wasn't really fitting in an arguement I'm obviously so passionate about.

IMADWONER. :lol:

Whatever, I'm going to keep pushing mongo. See me at Derby in Santa Cruz tomorrow if and when you have issues. BUH BUH.

Speaking of Longboards. There are people who utilize them for the fucking win.

I hear a lot of hate coming from mostly posers themselves concerning riding a longboard. I've had a stash of 40 inch + decks and Randal Trucks forever. Been riding the Berkely hills since the late nineties and have had the pleasure to share a few runs with Cliff Coleman himself. I've got a lot of love for this aspect of skating but I keep to myself on it because of how god damned trendy it is lately. Not a good look.

But... fuck if it isn't fun to smash downhill going 40 mph without having to pay for a Sierra @ Tahoe lift ticket. Makes me happy. I suggest you try it.

Sounds kinda fun, but I didn't just say that.

i skated mongo, i realized once i started skating ramps that it's fucking retarded... and then i quit skating

How does one skate mongo on a ramp?

I used to like going downhill in the rain...around 35 mph aesthetics stop being important.

For some silly reason I get the feeling that you're on that... "too old to skate (never got good anyways), but still trying to fit in with the cool kids at lunch" crowd. Hugging the sidelines - rocking kneepads and a Dogtown board, but never drops in type dude. Or you're just instigating the conversation. Not sure. Either way the ignorant statement wasn't really fitting in an arguement I'm obviously so passionate about.

IMADWONER. :lol:

Whatever, I'm going to keep pushing mongo. See me at Derby in Santa Cruz tomorrow if and when you have issues. BUH BUH.

You got the wrong idear br0!

I know dudes who push mongo and it's complete laugh-o-rama when we skate with them, but it's really whatever. I think it looks horrible and is counter productive, but they get down on their boards so it's whatever.

As for me being to old and such...you're way off base:lol:

I for one am also a proponent of long boards if they are possessed by the right people. They always seem to fall into the hands of trust fund hippy kids who can barely ride them though. They also usually push mongo.

IMADATOFFBALANCEDRUNKDRIVERRESEMBLINGMONGOFOOTEDAPEHANGERSONER.

Eh. What comes natural to one person may not come natural for another. I look at it as being right or left handed. You start off one way, and anything else feels strange until time and effort has gone into learning to be ambidextrous.

Thinking back a bit now... my grandpa learned to drive two footed in the 20's and never changed until we took his license away back in like '95. He did get in quite a few accidents... and I manage to fall harder and more often than most of my cronies. FFFFUUU.

Maybe you're on to something.

pushing mongo when it comes to setting up for switch tricks is a generational thing i believe. cats like koston and lil stevie push that way because they were doing whole lines switch before that shit was common practice.

i actually dont mind mongo in this context.....when people can push with both feet perfectly, it really starts to blur the lines between switch and regular.

Top 10 Reasons To Not Push Mongo:

1. It looks stupid.

2. If you're any good, I think you're going switch the whole time and rip, when you don't.

3. Did I mention it looks stupid.

4. You have to do the dumb foot juggle thing when setting up for a trick.

5. I heard every time you push mongo a kitten dies, and your palms get hairy. Actually, that may be from something else.

6. You're pushing with the ankle you're going to sprain the most. Unless you are a switch magician, you're probably going to tweak your front ankle more.

7. Did I mention it looks stupid.

8. Once you're labeled as a "mongo," it's like being an "untouchable" no one at the park will want to associate with you.

9. Skate groupie chicks can smell the mongo on you from a mile away.

10. You'll never be able to skate The Berrics, because like Mike Carroll said, "No one pushes mongo here."

This thread, much like the skate park on weekends, makes me want to punch little kids in the back of the head. Really.

I'm an asshole. I did this once. I was probably 26 at the time, and went to this lame park in my home town. There was this kid with a helmet on that we called "GI.Joe" because of how the thing sat on his head (looked like an action figure). So he kept telling my friend and I how to do shit. "You need to set up here...." or "Your ollieing too late!" This was really annoying because we aren't "skateboarders" we were just having fun with our childhood past time. So the kid kept running his mouth and I said "you're going to get hit kid." So finally he came by me, said something, and I punched him in the back of the helmet.

This isn't very cool of me because the kid was probably only 14. But man, he ran like I had horns and a pitchfork. Plus, I knew the helmet was going to take the force of the punch, so it's not like I really hurt him or would have. I just put the fear in him.

no/thugoner, kid was just annoying. That kid probably rides for a company now and can buy my life with his chump change.

My friend growing up pushed mongo for awhile. We all clowned him...he is still pro and I don't even skate anymore.

One positive thing was that pushing mongo trained him to push with his back foot while riding switch stance. This made all his switch skating look much smoother.

My theory on the whole "mongo" trend now, is so many of these kids grew up on these:

If you watch kids ride those things, a lot of them push mongo.

Nah man, it's definitely not those things. I had one of those scooters with the normal bike tires in the 80's growing up and I pushed normally. It must be a genetic flaw to push mongo.

"HOW MANY BOARDS YOU CAN ALLIE? MY COUSIN ALLIE 12 BOARDS AND GET FLOW FROM INDY!"