MONGO FOOTED

John Basegow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I push mongo. So what? Fuck you.

I also grew up skating from point A to point B and so on. At first I wasn't into the whole 'scene' and so skateboarding was just a way of transportation more than anything. I've found that kids who first learned to kick-push (no-Lupe) as a way to get around are most always likely to be doing it mongo. When you're skating fucked up sidewalks and pebble-ridden streets having your back foot on helps to keep you stable and you're not face planting every fifty feet. Yeah it looks akward, but like I said originally: fuck you. I'll fucking slap a Crail-Slide over most all of you flip-trick, flatlanding faggots. With speed and style.

Goofy footed fucks for life. Shogo, Wentzl, Muir, Hackett, Reuler, Phillips, Roskopp, Danforth... I believe (although not 100% sure) that all of these rippers have been known to push mongo.

I also learned to push regular quite some time ago, and have yet to find a reason to include it full-time in my repertoire. I'm not trying to be sponsored. And I don't find flip tricks that fascinating. I guess my point is that if I'm skating a park, a bowl or a pool, you wont see me pushing anyways. I'd be that big dude hauling fucking ass and busting frontside smiths in the deep-end. The guy you little heshers move out of the way for.

Word.

diude if u cant ride mongo then u dotn even know how to skate

tfoh...the only time it's even remotely acceptable to push mongo is during a line when ya gotta flip the script and change your stance. that is of course if you've only been shreddin all of 3 months and haven't learned to push switch naturally. keep on keepin on little bruhs.

And Casek, people have been pushing mongo since the 80's. It just wasn't labeled as such, or noticed as much. Pushing mongo really became akward and 'taboo' when the street scene took over mags and videos. The only real disadvantage other than aesthetics is when you're doing all of these gnarly tech tricks these saps are doing now.

I'm talking about kids who cant do a frontside rock & roll, but try to bust K-grinds to flip-trick out on knee high rails at the skate park.

And Casek, people have been pushing mongo since the 80's. It just wasn't labeled as such, or noticed as much. Pushing mongo really became akward and 'taboo' when the street scene took over mags and videos. The only real disadvantage other than aesthetics is when you're doing all of these gnarly tech tricks these saps are doing now.

I'm talking about kids who cant do a frontside rock & roll, but try to bust K-grinds to flip-trick out on knee high rails at the skate park.

Never saw it that I recall. Prolly started skating 88 or so up until late 90's.

Forgive my lack of memory. I'm old.

Mongo foot in skateboarding refers to using one's front foot for pushing. Normally a skateboarder feels more comfortable using their back foot to push, while their front foot remains on the board.

In the minority case of mongo footed skateboarders, the opposite is true. Some consider mongo footedness to be a faux pas in skateboarding,[1] as a skateboarder requires more time to prepare for a trick, and some simply find it aesthetically displeasing. Also, due to the fact that the back foot is usually positioned behind the rear wheels, taking the front foot off the board can cause the tail to drag on the ground if care is not taken to move the rear foot forward slightly when pushing.

While mongo foot skating has some drawbacks, it offers a variety of advantages, such as comfort for a beginner. Some skateboarders who do not push mongo in their regular stance may still push mongo when riding in switch stance, rather than push with their weaker back foot. Well known skaters who change between mongo and normal are Stevie Williams and Eric Koston.

I guess growing up skating rural areas and empty pools, I saw this more. I had friends pushing mongo in the early nineties. Nobody was clowning then because they ripped. Nobody clowns now, because they still rip. If I'm pushing down the street, with intentions on getting somewhere quickly with minimal effort - best believe I'm pushing mongo. And don't be mad of ya boy is styling on you while smoking a camel filter.

Generally I'll have my heel right above the rear truck. So my back foot is nearly centered on the board.

It's funny because me and my folks were just discussing this topic over beers and a backyard mini-ramp sesh a few days ago. We chalked it up to the fact that a lot of kids are rocking longboards before they ever step foot on regular deck. For me, It was always just... easier and more natural. I learned to surf before I ever picked up a skateboard so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Can't wait to see what OG CELT has to say on this.

I guess growing up skating rural areas and empty pools, I saw this more. I had friends pushing mongo in the early nineties. Nobody was clowning then because they ripped. Nobody clowns now, because they still rip. If I'm pushing down the street, with intentions on getting somewhere quickly with minimal effort - best believe I'm pushing mongo. And don't be mad of ya boy is styling on you.

Generally I'll have my heel right above the rear truck. So my back foot is nearly centered on the board.

It's funny because me and my folks were just discussing this topic over beers and a backyard mini-ramp sesh a few days ago. We chalked it up to the fact that a lot of kids are rocking longboards before they ever step foot on regular deck. For me, It was always just... easier and more natural. I learned to surf before I ever picked up a skateboard so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Can't wait to see what OG CELT has to say on this.

This is something I'm not used to. Longboards.

When I was a youngin' no one was riding a longboard. It was all those big ass Vision Gator boards and whatever. In fact, I've never seen a person IRL riding one.

Must be a west coast thing?

West coast thing for sure. Although it shouldn't be difficult to a hipster cruising the downtown area of any Midwest or East coast city, rocking Death Cab for Cutie on his 250 gig Ipod and riding the nose of a Sector 9 or Gravity deck. If it hasn't happened yet, it will. Just saying. Look out Omaha.