Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vapid

Thinning paint with water

Is this possible. I was thinnin a gallon of paint and ended up running out of paint thinner and its too late to go to the hardware store. Can i thin the paint with water and have the same effect. Im filling a bug sprayer with paint if that helps.

thanks

no because the water separates everything when used in combination with thinner and paint.

and when used on brick and concrete it wont stay unless you go over it with clear coat.

cloth and woven textiles it may have a life of 3 weeks tops depending on the type of thinner and paint.

canvas it'll just bleed all over the place and take forever to dry.

but with just water and acrylic it may work when used with a brush or roller, but the sprayer is gonna get clogged fast

lol i wish i saw this before i got impatient and did it anyway. a gallon of paint wasted paint squirted all over my wall and a sprayer wasted. I should have just smoked all day like i was planning.

or you could ahve read the label and not been an idiot and asked the net.

or if you had to hit the net maybe google or even yahoo answers might have been a better bet.

whhhhhhhhattttt the fuckkkk is with all the spam...

but yeah, acrylics + water = yes

oil + thinner = yes

anything else.... NO

like someone already said latex and acrylic paint can be thinned with water,

oil based paint must be thinned with paint thinner or other similair product

If your in a jam with your Acrylic roller paint? You can do what I have done in the past, more then once. Piss in the paint. No joke! You can get a extra 6 feet if you piss in it before its half used.

Just saying.

whhhhhhhhattttt the fuckkkk is with all the spam...

but yeah, acrylics + water = yes

oil + thinner = yes

anything else.... NO

i am a big fan of turning 5 gallons into 10..... ROLLER BOMBS

:laugh1:

Years ago, Rusto was making a water-based enamel. They've since discontinued it. It was great stuff when it was available.

I use acetone to thin Rusto now.

go to your local library and look up books on painting techniques..there is one in particular, and for the life of me i can't think of the name..something like the painters bible or paint techniques bible or something like that, it goes into great detail not only into what paints can be mixed with what, but it goes into the techniques to certain paint effects and the differences in paints and their proper usages, etc etc..i'll go to the library and find that bitch and maybe drop some knowledge on you in a couple days..

go to your local library and look up books on painting techniques..there is one in particular, and for the life of me i can't think of the name..something like the painters bible or paint techniques bible or something like that, it goes into great detail not only into what paints can be mixed with what, but it goes into the techniques to certain paint effects and the differences in paints and their proper usages, etc etc..i'll go to the library and find that bitch and maybe drop some knowledge on you in a couple days..

"i'll go to the library and find that bitch and maybe drop some knowledge on you in a couple days" :lol2: nicely said

and i wasnt lying either haha.

the book was called the paint effect bible, and it basically illustrates different methods on how to create certain effects with paint, though it doesnt really focus on spray paint i dont see why you couldnt still apply some of these methods in some way.

waterbased paints can, you guessed it, be thinned with water (duh lol)

that includes acrylic,latex.tempera,casein and stencil paint.

oil based paints are best thinned with either linseed oil or mineral spirits, as well as turpentine and just regular old paint thinner, it makes no sense to try to thin it with oil because the water would just sit on top of the oil enit?

shellac and varnishes need to be thinned with methylated spirits... idk what the fuck shellac is, i just fuck with spray paint really.

i should say from experience acrylic paints don't work very well for writing, shit comes off in the rain. and oil based paints are slow drying as fuck.

http://painting.about.com/od/allotherpaints/All_Types_of_Paint_Painting_Mediums.htm

probably got some good info on this site, might be worth looking into

another book worth reading if you can find it, is "color harmony compendium" lots of ideas for fill colors in there goes into depth about colors and how they coincide with eachother. just something interesting.

probably nothing new in what i just posted, and alot of its already been said but fuck it,

if you guys can find those books you should read up on them, pretty interesting stuff imo.

play on playa.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now